Anxiety

I know Anxiety and/or depression are common post-stroke, as is emotional lability. I guess I'm trying to figure out what's normal, what's worth seeking treatment for, etc. Initially after my stroke, I felt like my spontaneous crying and grief about the stroke and my deficits were fully normal, and I didn't worry too much about them. I've noticed a change in the anxiety and what brings on the tears, though -- I get anxious and panicky about things that MIGHT be real concerns but that I think get blown out of proportion in my mind: For example, I get extremely anxious about doing "normal" things, going to school, doing things on my own, etc. that I know logically I am fully capable of doing. But thinking of doing them or being about to do them makes me so anxious that I have trouble sleeping in in the morning, even if I'm tired, and that I end up in tears. I also panic about being constipated (I ended up in the ER with pain from constipation a week after my stroke; it was related to painkillers that I am no longer on, but I still find that I'm having trouble with being "regular" -- will be talking to my PCP about this in 1.5 weeks...I suspect that my stroke has affected something relating to my digestive system, maybe motility...so this might be a realistic concern but not to the extent that I worry about it!!) and I recently had an IUD put in for birth control since I can no longer be on hormones and I have ended up in tears worrying about it expelling (again, realistic...5% of women expel their IUDs an the risk is higher for those, like me, who have never had children...but it's not worth being anxious about it and crying!). Thinking about driving again also puts me to tears. My OT is anxious for me to get back to driving, but I hn e easily get back to my real life if I weren't so anxious about it...and I have successfully done the things that I feel anxious about, like going to school, or gone to meet a friend by myself, but having successfully done them hasn't seemed to alleviate my anxiety when I think about doing them. I don't know if I should pursue therapy for this (honestly, talking about being anxious makes me cry and the idea of going to a therapists office and just bursting into tears and not really being able to talk about it doesn't sound like a great option) or just medication..I DO have an appointment with my psychiatrist coming up -- I previously saw him to manage my depression medication, I was able to stop Prozac in December after being on anti-depressants for years, so I'll see what he recommends. Hoping the appointment will be at a time that my fiance can go with me...again, I'm worried that I'll make it into the office and burst into tears while trying to explain what's happened.

I have had nightmares about having a stroke again, though those seem to have gone away, and sometimes end up in tears while trying to fall asleep because I find my mind re-living the experience and fear that I had when the stroke happened. It feels like maybe a PTSD-style experience. Having to talk about the stroke with doctors has been pretty wearing as well. I'll be relieved when I can stop talking about it so much!

I guess what I'm looking for here is just some support about the anxiety, maybe hearing others' experiences, and what you found helpful. I know that the bursting into tears will lessen as time goes on, but I think the anxiety that I experience has exacerbated my emotionality...I look forward to THAT going away :)

Thanks for listening/reading; it feels good to get this all typed out (and without full-fledged crying! Just some tears welling up that could be swallowed down.)

hi mellisa, yes i had that as well cring for no reason and finding stuff funny when it should be sad buso you are right it is a normal thing to go through after being a stroke surviver but if it concerned you somunch yoiu should go to see your family doctor to see if you are a candidate or you can get anxiety pills pwerscribe for you as i am on luvox which seems to help alot but always check with your doctor before going on any medicationnow i should tell you that i use to go through that alot i have found that it is like an emotional rollercoaster but i have found that after recovery now 10 years now that it has gotten alot better, all the best to you

doctor.gif Having anxiety after a stroke is normal but not generally across the board, Every person is different but you were just through a devastating ordeal so it's to be expected. I was placed on anti depressants right after my stroke. That helped but I still, like you, are coming off of birth control. You said that you were placed on an IUD but that is a change of hormones. Your body is going through that naturally with the brain injury that you've gone through. Talking to a doctor after something like this is a wonderful thing. Sometimes the emotions that you may have and fears of more strokes are common among stroke survivors.

There is no black /white answer to the question other than you're not alone in your feelings. Take a deep breath and rest assure that you're normal and talk to your doctor.

HI FOR .ME I HAD TO UNDERSTAND WHAT I CAN AND CANNOT DO WITH MY STROKE.I HEARD PEOPLE SAYING THEY WERE DOING THIS, THAT AND I THOUGHT, WELL, GOSH, I WANT TO DO THINGS AGAIN I DON T WANT TO JUST SIT IN MY SOFA AND WATCH TV AGAIN.I REMEMBER AT FIRST, GOING TO RESTAURANT. I WAS SOME SCARED BUT NO BODY AT THE RESTAURANT GAVE ME ANOTHER LOOK. THEY HELD OPEN THE DOOR AND WENT THIER OWN WAY. I SAT IN A BOOTH AND THOUGHT..OK, I CAN DO THIS. NOW I LL GO TO MALLS, GROCERY STORES, LIBRARIES, SOME HOUSE , IF I KNOW 3/4 PEOPLE WILL BE THERE. I AVOID BIG HOUSE PARTIES, TO MUCH LAUGHING, TALKING, THE MUSIC UP LOUD, CONCERTS, GRASSY YARD OR ESTATE SALES. NO MUCH FOR ME. SO I KNOW MY LIMITS. MOW I DO HAVE MY FIRST TIGERS BASEBALL GAME TO GO TO, SINCE I VE STROKED. YES, IM A LITTLE SCARED/ANXIOUS, BUT IM GOING TO GO AND PLAY IT BY EAR AND HAVE SOME FUN!!MY BEST WISHES FOR YOU. JUST TAKE BABY STEPS WITH WHAT YOU DO.MY FRIENDS TELL ME TOO... WHO CARES WHAT PEOPLE THINK, THEY DON T REALLY CARE, PER SAY. AND THEY HAVE THEIR OWN PROBLEMS TO DEAL WITH. PATTY

• 4 weeks later...

"I guess what I'm looking for here is just some support about the anxiety, maybe hearing others' experiences, and what you found helpful. I know that the bursting into tears will lessen as time goes on, but I think the anxiety that I experience has exacerbated my emotionality...I look forward to THAT going away smile.gif

Thanks for listening/reading; it feels good to get this all typed out (and without full-fledged crying! Just some tears welling up that could be swallowed down.) "

I had anxiety problems long before I ever had a stroke. I was your textbook type A personality - always striving to be the best, most successful, know how to handle everything, always be in control, hypercompetative, you name it. Than, out of hte clear blue ske, the day after Christmas, WHAM I done went and lost my mind!

I actually remember telling Sam that I felt like I was losing my mind, as the first symptoms of the stroke started to show themselves. I don't remember much of anything else of that day.

3 weeks after the stroke, I was headed back to the office, 20 hours a week. I had a hard time expressing myself because the words wouldn't come out. I was anxious about not being able to do my job. Would I be able to make deadlines, would I have to do reports over because they weren't right? Would I even remember how to do the reports?

I made some mistakes. I used the wrong words for things. I stuttered when I spoke to people. This is a natural part of the healing process.

I've been back in the office since the end of January. I still make mistakes. I still use the wrong words. I still stutter. But I worry about it less.

With time and acceptance comes an easing of the anxiety. Of course, the zoloft helps. I was on it before the stroke. After the stroke, the doctor just doubled the dose. I don't thinkI am ready for it to be halved yet, but I'm functioning.

It just takes time.

himelisa, i to suffer from anxiety in fact so munch that when i went to see a doctor for a physical examination the doxtor perscribe for me an increase dose of luvox so i just wanted you to know that it is normall to go through anxiety but through medication there is help

You-Rock.gifMelissa,

Let me see if I have this straight:

You...

Went off of Prozac in Dec.,

Had a stroke 2 mos. later,

Went back to work 2 mos. after that,

Went off oral cotraceptives

Switched to an IUD

Are a self-proclaimed"TYPE A" personality BEFORE the stroke,

And now you're having anxiety about having ANXIETY?

Girl, I'd be in a padded room, sucking my thumb! You have achieved ALOT in 5 mos.I put this in list form, hoping that you could see what all you've accomplished.It might not be a bad idea to show your psychiatrist your post. MEDS CAN HELP! YOURS IN THE STRUGGLE, BECKY

Melissa,

Girl, I'd be in a padded room, sucking my thumb!

amen sister

hi melissa,

I've always wondered what constitutes'normal' anxiety post-stroke.

After all it is only mormal to worry aboutstuff you can no longer do, changed earning capacity, relationship dynamics. etc.I can so understand about being a type A personality and wanting to be on top of the situation. I have found a lot of my anxiety dissipated as I got familiar with routine situations and devised coping mechanisms. I slso had to learn it is ok to ask people, especially in the family for help when I can't do something on my own.

See you round,

anna

Anna you are so true. you can asked for help and that by no means lessens you as a person. you need help doing things until you can learn a new way.

Good luch Melissapash.gif

". I still stutter. But I worry about it less.

With time and acceptance comes an easing of the anxiety. Of course, the zoloft helps. I was on it before the stroke. After the stroke, the doctor just doubled the dose. I don't thinkI am ready for it to be halved yet, but I'm functioning.

It just takes time.

I still stutter but that just makes me that more interesting lol

• 2 weeks later...

Hadn't checked in for awhile -- Becky1, you made me smile! Thanks! :)

I went back on Prozac a month ago -- very low dose, just 10 mg. I'm not an anxious mess or as overly emotional as I was, so that feels good. I'm also planning to start therapy over the summer...I think I really need help processing the stroke and the way it affected me.

BTW, drove for the first time since the stroke (12 weeks this week!) this evening...funny, something that a month ago completely freaked me out to the point of tears, with the passage of time (and some prozac ;) was absolutely no big deal tonight.

Sending love to you all -- so grateful you're here!! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hadn't checked in for awhile -- Becky1, you made me smile! Thanks! :)

I went back on Prozac a month ago -- very low dose, just 10 mg. I'm not an anxious mess or as overly emotional as I was, so that feels good. I'm also planning to start therapy over the summer...I think I really need help processing the stroke and the way it affected me.

BTW, drove for the first time since the stroke (12 weeks this week!) this evening...funny, something that a month ago completely freaked me out to the point of tears, with the passage of time (and some prozac ;) was absolutely no big deal tonight.

Sending love to you all -- so grateful you're here!! :)

Thank you for starting this topic. I have been experiencing anxiety also. A new grocery store threw me for a loop the other day and I'm about 5 months post. I just had a follow up CAT Scan and am seeing the neurologist for the first time since the hospital. I have been to a PCP but have so many questions for the doctor today as to my specific damage, etc. I still have not driven either. My boyfriend has been so supportive in trying to help me break things down so I don't get overwhelmed. I'm glad to have found a place where "my new normal" is normal and I don't feel weird about my emotions. I too am grateful to have found this site.

This might sound trite but isn't meant to be.....it is a famous quote.... "Often the fear of something is worse than the thing itself". Keeping that in mind, see your doctor and maybe a therapist if he recommends. Best of luck to you dear! Best regards....Joy

• 2 months later...

Melissa:

I to went through this! And I still am, I had to be placed on anxiety medicine to help take the edge off of everyday items. I feel so much better now that I am on medicine and believe that they are out there to help us! Also keep in mind if you do go on anxiety medicine, if you open up to people about being on them, you would be suprised at how many people are on them and can relate!

Good luck and keep your head up :)

Archived