Fear of having another stroke

I noticed on this forum no one talks about the fear of having a second stroke. I had my stroke because of atrial fib and is still not well controlled but I'm on Coumadin to keep my blood thin. When I discovered my stroke, the CT scan showed I had to previous small ones, I did not even know of. I worry a lot. What are others thoughts on this? I tried to be positive but the thought does haunt me. I know people on this forum have had multiple strokes, I would like to hear their stories and the time lapse between. Is there a time frame when you start feeling a little more secure?

Hugs, Linda

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mostly, the new members talk about second strokes, I did too, but after a while you don't think about that any more.

I think that's because the doctors pound the fear into your head. happydance.gif The neurologist at the hospital told me I may not be so lucky next time that I could land up with a feeding tube in a diaper! Nice bedside manner. I have never smoked I don't drink I don't add salt my food my blood pressure stable but I could afford to lose some weight. I confess... I should have been more active and exercise more but holy crap why would this guy say something like that me? Scared the daylights out of me!

hi linda, well i did have 2 stroke but that was because why i had a stroke was misdiagnose it was thought that i had a blood clot so then i went on warfarin and i hace been on that drug for 10 years without having a stroke however upon investigating it was found that i in fact was borne with a hole in the heart so i went to surgery to have the hole fix or put a patch over the hole and then the doctor thought that then i probably won"t need to be on warfarin so i didn"t tale warfarin and not to long ago i had another stroke but i was very lucky as it didn"tappear tohave any problem and since then now the doctor knows that it was a blood clot and as long as i remain on that drug i should be stroke free and i have been for 10 years all the best debbie

Linda!

Stuart and I talk about the fear of another stroke, his fear, my fear.

We live fear. We are nervous.

When I hear him stumble, I rush to him,

fearing another stroke has caused him to fall.

When he falls, he always fears it is because

he has had another stroke.

People here may not talk about it,

but I bet heavy that they live it

like we do.

You are not alone. Hey, it's a crowd,

maybe a silent crowd, BUT A CROWD!

Rachel, caregiver to Stuart who had two hemorrhagic strokes in 2009

Linda: the Doctor is warning you because he has no other advice to offer. Yo have an irregular heart beat, you can not change that. You take medication to control it and delay the time it takes to make clots. But that is the best you can do. Watch your diet, exercise and try to enjoy every day to its fullest. I had a patient sit in AFib this past week for two hours, then reverted to normal rhythmn. If you feel "irregular", short of breath, anxious. Just rest it out. Watch a good movie, read a good book and know you are doing the best you can.

Try not to focus on the what ifs, but rather the what nows. Scary, yes. But get every laugh out of every day. There are no guarantees. Best, Debbie

Thanks Debbie, by the way are you a nurse? I am only on Coumadin and not any rate control yet because of my asthma medications. I could be out for minutes or for hours but it generally reverts back to on its own. I just lay down and relax and watch TV and wait for it to come back. Oh yeah a lot of anxiety with it but that is expected. The irregular rhythm gives me a nervous stomach anyway.

I have had two. No secret as Rachel stated? don't no y she said that? Anyway Since they still don't no y i had Strokes I just made peace with myself. every night i say a little somthin, somthin to y know who and i am good to go. I don't feel sorry for myself, i don't complain as well. I let ppl know i have had a stroke for there understanding, not for their pity. Because aphasia, acrophobia depression panic anxiety.

Man I would want to be warned too.

I wish i could find the inner peace you have. you are a very strong person. i don't let many people know how insure i feel but on this site......i feel comfortable because so many of us have the same inner struggles.

i do not mean to be so whiney all the time.

Linda!

Stuart and I talk about the fear of another stroke, his fear, my fear.

We live fear. We are nervous.

When I hear him stumble, I rush to him,

fearing another stroke has caused him to fall.

When he falls, he always fears it is because

he has had another stroke.

People here may not talk about it,

but I bet heavy that they live it

like we do.

You are not alone. Hey, it's a crowd,

maybe a silent crowd, BUT A CROWD!

Rachel, caregiver to Stuart who had two hemorrhagic strokes in 2009

No worries Rachel. I prefer to live for now not worry to death My arms get nubb i get dizzy But my glass is half full I will take that bet. I would imagin not many stress out about havin another stroke. since they probably are not strong enought to live through another.

ok i am confused here racheal and sebi......are you the same person ?

Sebi99 and CallmeRachel are two different people,

both, by the way, are brilliant thinkers and exceptionally good looking.

Rachel

ok i am confused here racheal and sebi......are you the same person ?

Sebi99 and CallmeRachel are two different people,

both, by the way, are brilliant thinkers and exceptionally good looking.

Rachel

I agree (;

I wish i could find the inner peace you have. you are a very strong person. i don't let many people know how insure i feel but on this site......i feel comfortable because so many of us have the same inner struggles.

i do not mean to be so whiney all the time.

Linda you just had your stroke I understand since it has not been 1 year for me. . U have lots of questions. You sleep alot now, let your brain heal. Be patient with others and yourself. Dont get to rattled. Enjoy every minute. Be on good terms with all people. Find some peace. Ok, Sebi one good lookin guy.

well linda as you know i in fact had two strokes but i can tell you that itry not to think about having another stroke and it has been 10 years since my stroke so my belief is if you don"t think about it so munch and just live to the best of your ability , and just look at like life life goes on and if you stress so munch about it just learn to live the best that you can and life goes on

HI WHEN I FIRST HAD MY STROKE, I WAS WORRIED THAT I WOULD HAVE A SECOND ONE. BUT AS TIME WENT BY YOU THINK OF IT LESS AND LESS TIL YOU REALLY DON T THINK OF IT ANY MORE. AT LEAST I DON T ANY MORE. I JUST TAKE ONE DAY ST A TIME, WITH OTHER THOUGHTS THAT FILL MY HEAD.THATS JUST ME.BEST WISHES. PATTY

I'm on Coumadin also. It's a common mode of treatment for stroke patients. Ask your doctor the benefits of taking Cardizem, commonly referred to as dialtizem. Thats what I'm on. It's a calcium-channel blocker that works by regulating your heartbeat. The chances are diminished, you having a second stroke. It would be a great benefit to discuss this and many of your other concerns with your doctor. I hope this helps!

-phildogg

Linda: yes, I am a nurse. Experiencing sroke puts an awareness and fear out there, that we would not have considered had we not been dealt the hand we were. My darling sister, who you have read about, my strength; experienced a shooting head pain not a month ago and had herself so worked up by the time she got to her doctor, that she was in tears. That fear, as Rachel explains, is with us all the time. I can't imagine feeling that irregular heartbeat and trying to work it through. Very often, as a nurse, I can feel it in the pulse. I honestly don't know how I would react if it was Bruce. It sounds to me like you have reached a sort of acceptance of it, no panic and that is the road to being able to just put it in perspective, work through it, know when to call for help. The anxiety? Personally with such a physical reminder, I would think that will be a bit down the road. I only ask that you try some meditation, praying, breathing therapy to help you work through the anxiety while this is happening.

Please do as Phil suggests. Make an appointment with your Cardiologist. Remember, this is a heart problem, not a brain problem. In the meantime, keep a journal as to the times your heart goes irregular and how long it takes to revert. Make notes as to what you were doing, how long it had been since you ate, what you ate, what medications you took during that day and at what times=include everything, especially your inhalers and how often.

Sebi and Rachel: you are very naughty!

Fred,

I have paradroxsml atrial fibrillation, which means intermittent and generally resolves itself but still my heart beat out of rhythm for several hours or sometimes just minutes. It is a horrible uncomfortable feeling. I am on Coumadin and the Dr. prescribed the Cardizem. I also have asthma as well and for that I am one theophylline and I've been on theophylline for 30+ years. Here lies the problem, the asthma drugs control the asthma but they contribute to the irregular heartbeat. I cannot take Cardizem and the theophylline as they interact. I am kind of stuck. My pharmacist is researching for me now for channel blocker that can work well with the theophylline. So I my fingers crossed. Each episode of atrial fibrillation puts me at risk of stroke.

Hugs Linda

I think "when will the next one hit? How bad will it be?" are thoughts that run through the back of all of our minds. Like you, I had the damage of several old strokes that we didn't know I had, though my husband suspected were strokes and not seizures. Because my lupus has caused/is causing my blood vessles to shrivel up and harden, and I have a heart valve malformation with regurgitation and buildup, I can take Plavix for the rest of my life, but the next stroke is inevitable. I know this. Like Lupus, I can't strop it. I can't cure it. I refuse to let it rob me of my life.

"One day at a time" is how I cope. I woke up yesterday and didn't have another stroke. I woke up this morning feeling good. I'm well on my way to another stroke-free day and I'll take those odds. It may end well, or it may end in a hospital ER again. I won't know until I get there or I thank God for 1 more day and go to sleep.

Since I don't know if I will be struck by a bus while out walking Monster or not either, I'll live today the best I can and hope for tomorrow.

Linda,

I agree with making an appointment with your cardiologist. I had an aneurysm which burst during surgery to repair it. Afterwards each time I had the slightest headache or felt nauseous it was another aneurysm growing to blow point. I would actually bring on headaches half the times from the anxiety and stress of thinking there was another one lurking. I really needed to know there really wasn't anything up there ticking like a time bomb. I told my neurologist of my fear, he pointed me back to my neurosurgeon for reassurance. To give me peace of mind and as a follow up as well I'm sure, I got to have the fun of having a little camera snaked from my groin to my brain. Amazingly there was a brain but all else was clear. Not the most fun test but absolutely worth it! I never gave it a second thought after that. I had pictures and proof that I was good to go and was told to come back for a recheck in 5 years. I haven't given it a thought since.

Until now. It's actually 5 years this month. ~ God works in mysterious ways.

Thanks for the reminder.

Make an appointment. I will too.

((((((((hugs))))))))

Maria

I posted much earlier on your post and I started to thinking, Oh, Oh, well, anyway some members may be more prone to having another stroke like in your case where there are more health issues to be concerned about. We sure can not say it won't happen just that we hope it doesn't happen. I was really scared the first couple months and was still in the hospital. But then I saw so many people coming in and leaving before me, I was just scared to death. It slowly went away!

Now, I don't even think about having another stroke. It's not out the question of can or will it happen, I just pray that it doesn't happen to me again. So, I try to be positive that it won't happen and that eases the pain of thinking it will or it could happen in my case!

I pray for you it doesn't happen, OK?

linda, we have discussed this fear alot on this board, like fred said its mostly with the newbies. i really never thought much about having another stroke, i understood what caused my stroke in the 1st place, so i trusted my drs with the care and medications they were giving me to cut down the risks. i had alot of precursors that contributed to my stroke, smoked, high blood pressure, stress galore, and being overweight, high cholesterol. i was a stroke waiting to happen, then boom it hit. i had a ischemic/clot stroke. i was diagnosed at the time with FMD, )fibromuscular dysplasia which means the lining of my arteries collapse, thus causing a blockage if a clot forms or plaque breaks off. my drs have me on aspirin and plavix, they help me to not stress on having another stroke. as others have said, that fear will pass with time. my biggest fear now is falling and always has been. i have fallen several times due to my deficits and brain damage, loosing my balance. hopefully that fear will go away. i hate it. i don't want to breaks bones again, it sets me back in my recovery even 9 years out. my anxiety can hit the roof sometimes but meds help me there as well. as suggested talk to your dr about your fear. you have been given some good suggestions. stay calm and try not to worry so much.

Linda, I am so sorry that you are living in fear. What kind of life is that? WORRY IS A DOWN PAYMENT ON A DEBT WE MIGHT NOT OWE. I really believe that, though sometimes it is hard not to worry. Get yourself checked by a cardiologist, do what you are told by your doctors and let it go. Stop worrying and start living. There is life after stroke. Worrying about it will not help. All the best to you from a fellow canadian.

mc

Linda,

When I learned I had a stroke while hopitalized in a coma it never crossed my. About a month after my husband had been researching comas on the internet and he shared the likely of 2nd strok. Then I worrked, anxiety, depression, FEAR set in. Fortunately, through therapy and finding an online support community I learned to live and not carry the fear daily. Yes I know the possibilty of a 2nd stroke is higher for me. But I won't limited on a daily basis in Fear. I live and I'm gonna make the most of it. Remember, God saved your life for a reason, find that reason and let it lead you to a new purpose.

Frankie

• ksmith pinned this topic