memory

so today is a scorcher. Real nasty hot. So I'm staying inside listening to music from the 80's which by the the way I LOVE and 'm trying to think back to my youth and somethings I used to do while listening to music. And nothing. Its hard not to have those; My brother in law asked me my real age for I have had everyone truly thinking I've been 29 for years. So I told him and it sounded so weird coming out of my mouth for I cant remember the first 34 years. ( I was 34 when I stroked)

-- do you all have that problem?

Kelli, for me, its the years after the stroke that forgot. Most of the 27 years are gone. The years prestroke are still there.

mc

I have holes. Some things pre-satroke are gone, while other things remain, and now some things get turned into long-term memories, while other things are wiped clean at the end of the day. There are picutes from before the stroke that I've had to ask what was going on and who is in them, and then there are days since the stroke that I couldn't tell you anything about. It's painful. I don't know what I don't know any more. This and aphasia are the worst parts of accepting the new normal.

kelli, i loved the decade of music too. sometimes memories will flow back into my brain, listening to my favorites. i can just look at something in my house to conjure up more memories. some good and some sad. my short term is my big problem most of the time try looking at photo albums to see if they might help you to remember. memories can be a tricky thing since they are stored deep within our minds, i believe. my sons will bring up their baseball years and i can remember some of the important games but have forgotten the important details of a particular game. thank god for video tapes. we need to believe our memories will be better with time. keep thinking maybe your much needed vacation will help you to relax and unwind. have a great time and be safe. it sounds like a nice place to go.

• 2 weeks later...

For the time before the stroke, I can daydream about certain things and my memories of those times will come back. For post-stroke memories, I can remember different things that have happened but I have a hard time telling the sequence of the memories. I can remember something happened and remember most of the details, but I'm not sure if they happened two, three, five, eight or ten weeks ago or which memory happened before another.

Bill's long term memory is good. However, he can't really remember after about 2003 I think. I'm thankful he remembers meeting me, knowing my dad, remembering our songs, etc. He does have some difficulty with the roads around town now. Mostly he knows where he is, but can't bring up the name of the street or road. His short-term memory is so bad now that he asks me many times questions he's asked me just a few minutes before. I'm amazed at my patience with this. I just answer him as though it's the first time he's asked because for him it is.

Difficult at best to accept.

Bruce's long term memory is intact. Pre-stroke we used to quote movie lines to each other and I can still prod that. Most days his literary knowledge is right there, I test this with crossword puzzles; but some days it takes longer. The less he concentrates, the quicker it comes.

His short term memory has returned about 85%. He tells me every night what he had for dinner, what he did with the caregivers and the next day, does the same.

He remembers nothing of the stroke or the 3 months after. First memory he has was that July when the Bathroom was being redone. The three brothers who did it, have done all the work on our house and our relationship with them is close to friendship. Tom used to come early to help me get Bruce out of bed, so I wouldn't have to use the lift.

In Bruce's case, I think he was fortunate to get back the good stuff. Those 3 months following the stroke are probably best forgotten. Debbie

I have holes. Some things pre-satroke are gone, while other things remain, and now some things get turned into long-term memories, while other things are wiped clean at the end of the day. There are picutes from before the stroke that I've had to ask what was going on and who is in them, and then there are days since the stroke that I couldn't tell you anything about. It's painful. I don't know what I don't know any more. This and aphasia are the worst parts of accepting the new normal.

ditto little mamma

• 2 months later...

hikelli, and just so you know you are definetly not alone i have memory issues as well i have a very difficult knowing fom today yestereday and tommorow i use t5o use it and know all about it but now since my stroke lots of memoryissues particular shortn time memories and i always tell my wife/caregiver it has gotten so bad if my head wasn"t screwed on my sholders i would lose it

My short-term memory stinks; I'm not sure, but it's most likely a combination of the stroke, and being 51. (Peri-menopause has certainly been an interesting experience.) Some things I wish I could forget.

Susan Doh.gif

It's weird, I have often thought-The stroke affected me alot physically, but my memory remains undisturbed, except for about 3 mos. I remember everything up to, and including having my stroke,and I even remember at which point I passed out. I don't remember anything for the next 3 mos., and then I "woke up". Iremember phone numbers I knew pre-stroke, and still have good STM and LTM. But, those 3 mos. are gone!Hope everyone had a good day! Becky

Hi I think I read some where that long term & short term memory are 2 different locations in brain like most - my long term memory & trivia recall is stellar.but things don't seem to stay in short term long enough to get to long term like "why do I have fridge open?". don't think we can really fix it - just learn to cope Ie notebook in handy area - to jot anything down repeating things until done

I use to trhingk my memory was impairing my recognition of people I hadn't seen in some time. I now think it is the slowness of My brain processing. much like a computer RAM isshort term memory inm computer - which holds just enough to be able to function - type word doc etc. but if U don't save it from RAM (random Access Memory) to a hard drive Long term memory. it will be lost if puter is powered down same analogy with processing speed. its been said our brain is really our computer.

might have to consciously try to remember important stuff.

personally I like notes

Susan

Hi I think I read some where that long term & short term memory are 2 different locations in brain like most - my long term memory & trivia recall is stellar.but things don't seem to stay in short term long enough to get to long term like "why do I have fridge open?". don't think we can really fix it - just learn to cope Ie notebook in handy area - to jot anything down repeating things until done

I use to trhingk my memory was impairing my recognition of people I hadn't seen in some time. I now think it is the slowness of My brain processing. much like a computer RAM isshort term memory inm computer - which holds just enough to be able to function - type word doc etc. but if U don't save it from RAM (random Access Memory) to a hard drive Long term memory. it will be lost if puter is powered down same analogy with processing speed. its been said our brain is really our computer.

might have to consciously try to remember important stuff.

personally I like notes

Susan

Hubby and I love eighties music& we wonder how the children don't share that love, but have their own preferences.

I have actually caught myself recapping recent happenings and wondered whether the brain is at work reinforcing short term memory and fixing it into long term memory

utube is great for finding those nostalgia stirring songs

Maybe we should all contribute and compile a playlist together

About short term memory and Bill...I have noticed something really interesting upon which I am becoming very dependent. I am now 62 and unfortunately, my short term memory stinks! I have to write a grocery list now even if I only have 7 or 8 items to pick up. If I don't I miss at least one or two...If I need to pick something up at the grocery store, or if we plan to do 3 or 4 things when we are out I'll tell Bill one or two of them so he can help me remember. He always remembers what they are. I think it is really quite amazing. For instance, if I need to pick up 1/2 and 1/2 while we are out I'll tell Bill. Before we head for home he will say, 'Are you going to get that 1/2 and 1/2?' I may have remembered and may not!

At Bill's Neurological appointment yesterday he remembered what city we are in, county and state. He didn't remember the date, day, month or year. Numbers are really difficult. When asked questions he would say..."I can see it but can't say it." or "I can't see it." Animals? He remembered two...dog and cat...we have both. I think the visualization of things is really important now...visualizing the city, county, state...two animals he can visualize....day, date, month, year...he can't read so a calendar is of no use. Many times he will ask me what a word spells...as in a street sign, "what are those letters"...when I tell him he can't seem to recognize the letters as they are....as in.."that is an S?"

Bill loves music from the 60's, 70's and 80's. I've noticed some of the songs he asked me for earlier post stroke though he can't remember now....There is so much unknown about memory...so much to study and learn...

Ann

Ann: I do the same with Bruce. My short term memory was never good. I learned this in college and developed my list-post-it-note system, which serves me very well now, when I am in charge of everything. But like you, I recognized that Bruce got so much back, I often just run the errand list past him verbally and when we are ready to head home, ask him "Is that everything?"

Today as we were leaving his work, he said to me "Did you tell Billy (his boss) your thing?" This is reference to the smoking hypnosis. I almost fell off the chair. This after working with the computer and number calculations for three hours. Guess just depends on what was affected and what rewired. He still gets frustrated when he can not remember his literature-that was his forte, but if he lets the thought go, chances are it will pop when he least expects it. Debbie

Archived