Returning to Work/Mental Function

I could use some help with the following question: "When is the right time to return to work"?

Next week, I'm scheduled to return to work (on a part time basis), but as the time gets near, I'm feeling very nervous. In my career, I am a public accountant which requires a lot of concentration and problem solving abilities. So I'm feeling pretty apprehensive about my ability to return and my ability to function in my job.

My stroke occurred 3 1/2 months ago. My physical body works just fine now and I have no worries about that piece.

My language (speech and written words) improved dramtically since my stroke - I feel like my language capabilities are at about 90% of "normal". I still stumble with certain words, but overall, I don't think many people (if any) can tell that I had a stroke.

My fatigue is moderate, but I think I can handle a 3-4 hour day with few problems. I currently do volunteer work and some house chores and feel ok.

Where I am most concerned is my a) problem solving abilities and b) concentration. My math skills and logic skills seem like they are functioning ok, but are still a little foggy. I've been trying some work-simulations at home lately. I feel like I can solve most problems, but NOW it just takes me longer. However, I feel that working on difficult problems really helps my brain re-connect.

I guess I'm feeling apprehensive about returning to work too soon. But I'm also concerned that my job might be in jeopardy if I wait too long to return. So far, my employer has been very cooperative with my abscence - so I don't feel any real pressure to return immediately.

So I find myself feeling very indecisive. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Greg

Greg: I am sure your apprehension is normal. You have just experienced a life changing event and still have no idea where it is leading you. Part of it is the excitement at getting some of your life back, but you also know that your life has been drastically changed.

Personally, I feel it may be too early. But when one has to support one's self and family and one's job may be in jeopardy, you have to give it a shot. Part time seems a wonderful compromise and it is good to know your employer is supportive.

My Bruce is a Printing Estimator. This requires intricate mathematical layouts of the material, and then the cost estimate of doing the job. With his aphasia, it is difficult to know exactly what he knows and doesn't. As time goes on, however, it is easier to figure out. While he will probably never bring home another paycheck-he is on SSDI-his boss and friend insist he come to work at least two hours-twice weekly.

His office is untouched. He has not been replaced. This is a family-owned company and 25 years ago, Bruce taught his boss the business. His boss's wife got me through nursing school. Needless to say we are close. His boss spelled me off every night for the three months Bruce was in Rehab-a drive of 45 minutes each way.

While Bruce does little on the computer here at home, you should see him work that Mac at work, left handed. I know he designed the program, but he is so different there than anywhere else. His boss reports his work is flawless. Now, Bruce is exhausted after 2 to 2 1/2 hours. He voices frustration at not being able to work faster and continually going back to check his work. On his work days, sometimes he balks at going. I know it is because right now that is the most difficult thing he does. However, he gets up knowing it is a work day, agrees to his shower and dress clothes. Not like the old days-I can't tie a tie, lol-but some semblance of the life he knows.

Other than frustration at the extra time this will require and your need to nap upon return home, I see this as a positive step forward. Go for it. Again it will take time to adjust, allow yourself that and I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised. Best, Debbie

HI ITS ALRIGHT TO FEEL NERVOUS AND SOME SCARED TO RETURN TO WORK IT TOOK ME 8 MONTH TO RETURN PART TIME TO WORK AND I FELT THE SAME WAY. MY BOSS DID WORK WITH ME ON AN EASIER NON THINKING JOB AND COME AND GO AS I PLEASED. ITS BEEN ALMOST 3 YEARS FOR ME RETURNING TO MY JOB AND IM GREATFULL BUT THERE STILL ARE DAYS WHEN I GET A LITTLE ...APPREHENSIVE.. ABOUT WORK. MY BEST WISHES FOR OU! PATTY

Greg, I've not been sble to return but I think that you know you best.

Hi Greg. The only thing thing that could happen if you go back too soon is your SSDI would stop and you could have problems getting it back if you quit. Now this is what happens in Canada but in the States I don`t know how it works. You mention that you have done volunteer work and work at home and you are ok so apart from more stress, I think you are good to go. Its good that you are starting part time at first. You will find ways that are good for you. For example When you have to do something with a lot of concentration, maybe follow it with something light. Plan for only 1 or 2 high concentration jobs a day to start and see how that works for you. If you can plan your days, this would be great. You will not really know until you start. I wish you all the best and good luck with returning to work. You will be more tired than working at home, maybe if you feel overwhelmed at first you can arrange with your boss for you to take small breaks through out the day instead of 1 or 2 longer ones. Like I said you will not really know before you start. For me the worse part was getting ready for work in the morning. Plan to shower the night before, get your lunch and your clothes ready the night before too. That will help. It makes a difference to get ready in the morning for a specific time as you have probably been doing it at your leisure. It is great that you feel ready to go back so early. Not everyone is the same. Find out before what happens with your disability pension if you did go back too soon, just in case. It is also very possible that everything will be just fine. I worked for 20 years post before being forced to retire because of a burn out. I hope I have covered enough to help you make the right decision. Again, all the best to you.

mc

Debbie,

Thanks for the info on Bruce. It makes me feel good that there are generous bosses out there who are concerned about a person's well being. About 2 weeks after my stroke, I received an email from a person seeking employment with my company. My boss has been monitoring my email since my stroke so he saw this email also. Anyway, this job-seeker's resume was almost identical to my resume. i.e. here's a viable replacement for me. I was scared to death that I was going to my lose my job. Well, within 30 minutes of receiving that email, my boss replied stating that our firm is not looking for at this time. He then emailed me separately stating that my job will be there when I'm ready to return. What a f***ing relief!

Anyway, I am looking forward to returning. Part of the thrill (for me) is to add another thing on to the "i've done that" list. :) I know this sounds weird from a 41 year-old, but checking things off of my "i've done that" is pretty amazing. Like when I could recite the alphabet again - THAT was amazing!

Hopefully, my return to work (RTW as my OT calls it) will be positive. But... I think you're right that is will take some time to re-adjust to working again.

Patty,

It's good to know that you still feel apprehensive after 3 years! I guess I'll just have to "get used to it" and deal with it. Thanks for the insight! AND congrats on being back to work! It's a big deal!

Greg: I commend you for your "I've done that list." I so wish Bruce would start and set goals for himself. We have a few years on youlol, but pray everyday that he will at some point want some type of life back at his choosing-not mine. Please do keep me updated. Debbie

Thanks MC! I've started planning already for work. This will be a new a new experience for me because I'm a procrasinator. But the idea of reducing stress REALLY appeals to me right now. I do feel REALLY lucky that I'm ready to return so quickly. I have been very blessed and feel like I have a second chance at life now!

• 2 weeks later...

First - thanks to all you who helped the above comments - these were very helpful. Well I started work last week. Worked 15 hours last week and am shooting for 15-20 this week. So far it's been very tiring (mental fatigue) but it's also been very nice to work again. People at work are very receptive to my return. However I'm struggling with the verbal communication. I've very apprehensive to speak up but it is getting easier. My boss said he thinks I'm at about 90% of my pre-stroke capabilities - so I was very happy with this comment (thank God - he didn't say I was at 50% :) )

Greg

you are like me... driven . But Dont drive your candle at both ends,, if it works for you then way to go... ps Im still jealous

Greg, 90% that is great news. Keep up the good work. You see, there is life after stroke :You-Rock:

mc

• 1 month later...

hi greg,

Your postis a case in point of why I keep trawling strokenet- I love the happy endings, or more like beginnings in this case- Good show& keep up the good work, you are an inspiration,

love,

anna

• 4 weeks later...

I could use some help with the following question: "When is the right time to return to work"?

Next week, I'm scheduled to return to work (on a part time basis), but as the time gets near, I'm feeling very nervous. In my career, I am a public accountant which requires a lot of concentration and problem solving abilities. So I'm feeling pretty apprehensive about my ability to return and my ability to function in my job.

My stroke occurred 3 1/2 months ago. My physical body works just fine now and I have no worries about that piece.

My language (speech and written words) improved dramtically since my stroke - I feel like my language capabilities are at about 90% of "normal". I still stumble with certain words, but overall, I don't think many people (if any) can tell that I had a stroke.

My fatigue is moderate, but I think I can handle a 3-4 hour day with few problems. I currently do volunteer work and some house chores and feel ok.

Where I am most concerned is my a) problem solving abilities and b) concentration. My math skills and logic skills seem like they are functioning ok, but are still a little foggy. I've been trying some work-simulations at home lately. I feel like I can solve most problems, but NOW it just takes me longer. However, I feel that working on difficult problems really helps my brain re-connect.

I guess I'm feeling apprehensive about returning to work too soon. But I'm also concerned that my job might be in jeopardy if I wait too long to return. So far, my employer has been very cooperative with my abscence - so I don't feel any real pressure to return immediately.

So I find myself feeling very indecisive. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Greg

greg - congratulations on your recovery so far. you are truly an inspiration to others. i too am an accountant. i am in the private sector, i was an executive in a real estate firm. i went back to work on a part time basis4 months post stroke. my advice to you is to listen to your body..rest if you are tired and dont try to do too muchtoo quickly. i know i rushed myself back and becam e frustrated as i realizepost stroke, Denise, was not thesame aspre stroke denise, i realized that i flustered more quickly and did things at a slower pace. best of luck to you in your return to work and your recovery.

greg - congratulations on your recovery so far. you are truly an inspiration to others. i too am an accountant. i am in the private sector, i was an executive in a real estate firm. i went back to work on a part time basis4 months post stroke. my advice to you is to listen to your body..rest if you are tired and dont try to do too muchtoo quickly. i know i rushed myself back and becam e frustrated as i realizepost stroke, Denise, was not thesame aspre stroke denise, i realized that i flustered more quickly and did things at a slower pace. best of luck to you in your return to work and your recovery.

Hey Denise,

Thanks for the kind words. I too get frustrated easier now. I've been at work 3 months now but I find that the time pressures of my job are the most demanding. I've been (slowly) learning to take it easy on myself. I also hired a cognitive therapist who is awesome! It's tough.

Are you still working now? I'm curious to see if your fatigue level improved as time went on? D

Archived