Saeboflex, anyone?

I'm going to get evaluated to see if the Saeboflex could work for me. It's a splint that holds you hand open so you can squeeze and pick up things. It's supposed to be covered under most insurances. Did it work for anyone? It follows the repetitive relearning idea.

You will have to see if you pass the minimum extension movements. I didn't but I told my OT and doctor I wanted it anyway. They set those rules because if you don't have minimum extension then getting extension to work is very problematic because you are probably trying to recover function that was in the dead area and they really have no clue how to neuroplastically recover that. I don't use mine very much because it takes 15-20 minutes to get on, it is not very user friendly for a survivor to get on by themselves. But it seems to be the only possibility for finger recovery so I got one.

Dean

Christine: Like Dean, Bruce does not meet the criteria for one at this time. However, one of his fellow stroke victims in Rehab did. Her husband contacted the manufacturer and got some info. He felt it might just work and showed it to her OT. He then called them back and they agreed to give a demonstration to the therapists at the Rehab and evaluate Mrs.

As Dean has said, it takes a long time to get on but Mrs. had therapist and her husband both to help. It was incredible to watch. When she extended the shoulder back, the hand part kicked in. It took weeks to finally get the shoulder working hard enough to kick it in immediately, some days she could not do it at all. Her husband said she did it every day at home with him. But you should have seen her face when the hand and fingers were working. Yes, it was painful, but she was determined. I would love to see how she is doing today. Thank you for reminding me of them-good people and good luck. I sure do hope it works as well for you. Debbie

It turns out they think there are better options for me. I wonder if they get people that meet criteria.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest furiawill

dear social,

I USED THE SAEBO FLEX FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS BUT IT WASN'T STRONG ENOUGH TO RE-OPEN MY FINGERS WITHOUT THE HELP OF MY UNAFFECTED HAND TO PRY MY FINGERS OPEN. THE REASON IT DIDN'T WORK WELL FOR ME WAS BECAUSE I CANNOT OPEN MY FINGERS AND REQUIRE ASSISTANCE TO OPEN THEM. HAVING NO MOVEMEMT i DON'T THINK IT IS THE RIGHT THING FOR ME. CHECK WITH YOUR OT AND SEE IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH MOVEMEMT TO WARRANT PURCHASING THIS DEVICE. I HOPE THIS HELPS.

-WILL

I haven't used the device. What helped me was my OT made a hand paddle for me. He cut out foamed poster board from like staples office supply in the shape for my hand then put two of them together for thickness and strength. He covered the whole thing with duct tape. Then using paper medical tape we would get my fingers open and tape my open hand on to the paddle. At first I could only tolerate it for a short time. As time went on I was able to sleep with it on. After a while when I would untape my hand it would stay open and I was able to begin working on tasks. It is a slow process but it works. Still working on recovery, it's nice that my healing hand is cooperating with the work being put in.

I was given a Saeboflex for my left hand even though I have no extension of fingers or wrist. I tried to use it for about a year and quit because it was not working for me. I am now 3 years post stroke and still with no extension of my left hand. I have been able to grip and hold things with my left hand but have to pry my fingers loose. If you would like to try a left hand Saeboflex I will send you mine as it is now gathering dust in the closet. It may need to be adjusted to your arm and hand.

Anyway, the best of luck to you.

Glenn

Glenn--This is Bill Ritter (Wild Bill); I used a SAEBO Flex, a couple of years back. It definitely helped

my affected, left arm. The firs thing that I noticed was my grip, and I was thrilled. I stopped using itbecause the therapist who was working with me left work for surgery. The therapist who replaced her didn't believe in it. Also, my wife was driving me to therapy; 3 hours, round trip(including therapy), two

days a week. I have found no therapists near my home (central Texas), who are familiar with the device.

I'n now attempting to get a Bioness H200. Do you have any Knpwledge, or experience with that? I found both devices on the internet. Those along with a Hand Mentor. It's so difficult to find anyone near my

home that know anything about any of the devices. I've learned that one is at the mercy of where he/she lives.

Incidentally, I joined strokenet about 2 years ago. I'm here, today trying to learn how to learn how to

use the web site. Also, my story is in the September Newsletter. Good luck to you.

Glenn--This is Bill Ritter (Wild Bill); I used a SAEBO Flex, a couple of years back. It definitely helped

my affected, left arm. The firs thing that I noticed was my grip, and I was thrilled. I stopped using itbecause the therapist who was working with me left work for surgery. The therapist who replaced her didn't believe in it. Also, my wife was driving me to therapy; 3 hours, round trip(including therapy), two

days a week. I have found no therapists near my home (central Texas), who are familiar with the device.

I'n now attempting to get a Bioness H200. Do you have any Knpwledge, or experience with that? I found both devices on the internet. Those along with a Hand Mentor. It's so difficult to find anyone near my

home that know anything about any of the devices. I've learned that one is at the mercy of where he/she lives.

Incidentally, I joined strokenet about 2 years ago. I'm here, today trying to learn how to learn how to

use the web site. Also, my story is in the September Newsletter. Good luck to you.

• 3 months later...

hi my name is travis "on my wifes account"

im currently using saboflex and i can say wo a doubt its helped me. my arm didnt really move much at all for 2 months post stroke, finally it began to wake up.

i then used small dubmbells, finger exercisers, an over the door home gym and with this got my arm to work a little.

at about 6-7 months i started sabo, while my arm isnt perfect yet it sure has helped.

my worthless arm, now has over 60 pounds of grip strength, its hit and miss but i can curl 10 pound dumbbells now! some movements are considered normal now, i can even throw a ball over hand a bit. the problem is it takes mass determination, 45 minutes 2x a day, but does work.

i hurt my ribs from a fall about 2 weeks ago and havent been able to do my sabo because of it, i can already tell it cost me a little, it seams like the tone is up.

normally however i can use my right side "main effected side" to make a sandwich, reach on top of the fridge even, wash my hair, brush my teeth etc.

no its not normal any of these movements, and yes they are choppy, and its rough but the point is i can do it now.

it is a slow process, but i think it was about 1-2 weeks after starting sabo i could wash under my arm

i now eat with my right arm and can even write a little, and let go of stuff!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a saebo too. I'm glad it's working for you! I quit because I wanted to see results yesterday. Now I know that it can't be yesterday but I will give it a try 2x a day for 45min each! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I used a Saeboflex for several months after my stroke 5 yrs ago. It worked for me after I adjusted it myself. The only therapist in the area didn't have a clue how to do it, especially the thumb. After I got some finger movement and arm, I started using tinker toys to reteach hand/eye coordination. That worked as well, and now I can do most of what I want to do with the affected arm/hand.

the thumb on mine still doesnt feel right tbh. i still havent got back to 2x a day and the past 2 days i havent even done it all. its tough to fit in an hour in a 1/2 a day when you already for instance had 2 therapy sessions, your day is shot time wise and well im tired after

• 1 month later...

Well, I got the Saebo, and my therapist told me that I had to do it for 45 mins each day, not twice. But I'm also still using E-stim and doing OT exercises. Maybe she was just being realistic. Anyway, so far, so good. It's helped my tone, and especially my strength and range of motion. My hand is now able to release a ball. I can see the progress.

i've been using saebo flex for 2 years now and it has helped-alot more than bioness ever did!i cannot get the device on myself but my husband does it everyday-he also learned from my OT how to adjust it-it took forever toget the thumb adjusted but the device is the best thing since sliced bread!-altho i don't have full function back yet, i am on my way. don't *beep* me off because i can and will give you the finger-before saebo, my hand was in a tight fist al the time!i was told when i had my stroke 5 years ago that i woul never walk or use my hand again-well, what do doctors know? certainly not my dtermination!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. My mom is 3 months post stroke with right side hemiplegia. I'm wondering if anyone has tried the saebostretch hand splint to keep the hand ligaments from shortening?

Thanks,

Kathleen

have not used it but heard great things about the stretch, i would have tried it however i found out about it after my insurance already picked up an expensive brace to takeover the cheapy i was sent home with. it is however expensive and to me looks like a lot of adjusting

the saebo stretch is a great brace to wear when you're not working with the saebo flex. no adjustments just had to be measured for it by a certfied saebo OT. the stretch has to be ordered by a saebo certified OT-not something you can go into a medical supply place and just pick up. not easy getting through airport security with it on, either...made up of steel plates to keep your fingers extended. i try to sleep with it every night.and wear it as much as possible. have no idea of the cost because i never saw a bill or anything go through medicare for the saebo stretch. they picked up the entire cost of the saebo flex, tho. the people at saebo are a great bunch of therapists--their customer service is above and beyond what you'ld expect.

the saebo stretch is a great brace to wear when you're not working with the saebo flex. no adjustments just had to be measured for it by a certfied saebo OT. the stretch has to be ordered by a saebo certified OT-not something you can go into a medical supply place and just pick up. not easy getting through airport security with it on, either...made up of steel plates to keep your fingers extended. i try to sleep with it every night.and wear it as much as possible. have no idea of the cost because i never saw a bill or anything go through medicare for the saebo stretch. they picked up the entire cost of the saebo flex, tho. the people at saebo are a great bunch of therapists--their customer service is above and beyond what you'ld expect.

I am actually running into a problem finding a certified saebo O.T. person in my area. The closest person is about and hour away. I am hearing that medicare covers more than Blue Cross Blue Shield, which is what my mom has for insurance. Do you know if Blue Cross Blue Shield covers any of the Saebo products?

jerrolyn-call the wonderful people at saeboflex--they are more than willing to help you with financial questions and finding a certified rep. i,too, had to travel over an hour to the rehab center that had a rep but it was worth every horrible minute in the car!! last night for the first time in almost 6 years, my hand opened on its own! good luck.

Archived