starting school

Hello I'm here with my daughter Angie, 10yrs old who had a stroke on Easter of this year. She wants to know how answer questions her friends will be asking about stroke in the new school year as she really doesn't want to talk about it and put it behind her. She wants to know how to make the transition back into school after not being there since April 2011.

Thanks in advance

Angie and her mom

This link should get you to Katrina!

http://www.strokeboard.net/index.php?showuser=8242

My first thought would be to send (Cagedbird) who is Katrina a message or email asking her to perhaps speak with your daughter by message explaining what she encountered at school during her early years. Second I would post the same type of post or maybe Katrina will read this one and answer in some way. I just can't think of another member that had a stroke while still school age except Katrina. I consider her my Lil sister in the stroke community and I'm amazed at her recovery for 10 years and graduating college.

That takes plenty determination on her part and the parents as well. You seem to be a concerned parent by asking for information and a starting point for your young daughter in school, grade school at that being only 10 years old! I can understand how she want to be informed because you know how "Bulling" goes on way too much in schools around the country! There is always those who feel no sentiments for others, girls and boys!

I hope you are able to get her to and from school or be at the bus stop if at all possible. If not a neighbor that can sorta help you along that line for awhile! Just my thoughts only. Oh yea, I went to my grand daughter's HS graduation in New Orleans and there were two graduating in wheelchairs. Plus with Angie being only 10 years old her chances of recovering are really good cause she's still growing.

Fred!

Hi Angie and Mom. Children are naturally curious and you can be sure Angie will be asked what is wrong with her arm or leg. Good suggestion by Fred to IM cagedbird (Katrina). If I were Angie, I would reply something without going into detail that kids would not understand anyway. Something like: " Something went wrong in my head and my head forgot how to tell my arm or leg to move″. Good luck Angie on going back to school. Just do your best Sweetie. That`s all anybody can ask of you. I bet you will be the most popular girl in your class. You have been through so much already, I will bet you will do this going back to school like a Pro. Dont forget to have fun too.

mc

Mama: while I understand Angie's wish to leave stroke out of her school year, I honestly do not see how that is possible. Even if she has no physical deficits, there will be cognitive ones. And all her classmates probably know and will be curious.

Angie has got to be feeling anxious and alone. I would encourage her to embrace her stroke, use opportunities to educate and inform others. To explain the courage it took to get through this, become an advocate for all disabilities, not just stroke. A tall order for a 10 year old, I know. And baby steps Mom, one day at a time. When she gets home frustrated and annoyed, encourage her to share and personally I would have her start a journal from day one. Writing is personal, a good way to vent without upsetting Mom and Dad (you know she thinks of that too) and by sorting through her feelings, will begin to do some problem solving and perhaps find ways to adjust socially. She will also have a good history for the future as to how that first year back went: a kind of record of how she recovered and adjusted.

Just be as supportive as you have all been through all of this.

I was kept out of first grade for four months. I still remember the day I returned. All the desks were in a circle. Mine was in a corner. I cried for hours. And that is nothing compared to what Angie is facing. Meet with her teachers before school starts, explain Angie's concerns and fears (and of course any special needs she has). This will be a learning process for all of you. Wishing you all the best. Please do keep us updated. Debbie

I agree with both Ethyl17 as well as fred.

I know being a mother of a child much less of a child who has had a stroke is hard. Kids are more understanding and excepting then what we think. Follow up with Katrina and have a talk with her to kids can be mean but she can turn this to make her stronger, She knows the truth and that's that. Best of luck and take a deep breath.She's a young adult. She will surprise you in the end.

Thank you all, and yes I have already emailed Katrina, but have not gotten a reply back, although you did give me a great idea. I will write the journal for her as she is reluctant to write because she can not remember words plus it will be a nice bonding thing to do. I just hope she goes for it. I also like the avocate for stroke idea, I order some of those bracelets on this site maybe she can give them to her friends. I can not express how much this website has helped so far. If any of you need anything from me please let me know.

barbara

Barbara,

All the best to you and your young daughter going to school and remember we are all here for you in full support cause in many of the things you will be facing with your child some of us has traveled down that road. It's just not easy recovering from a stroke for any age much less a school age child!

I hope Katrina can give you plenty information along these lines about education in school by a stroke survivor. Katrina has survived her school years and Angie will too. :big_grin: :happydance:

Fred!

Great idea about the stroke awareness bracelets. The kids will love that and they will help to open the conversation. Writing a journal together is another great idea. It will prompt her to open up where maybe just talking about her day might not. All the best to both of you and I know she will do great. How can she not do great with a mother like you.

mc

• 4 weeks later...

Did Angie start school yet? We need an update on how its going. To everyone, I did talk to Angie via skype. I told her what it was like for me when I went back to school and we talked about how she felt and things like that. I haven't spoken to her in a few weeks so I hope this post will catch her attention so we can get an update :)

Archived