what do you miss most?

Phoenis

Hi Phoenis, For me it was and still is wearing heels. I no longer wear dresses because I cant wear heels. driving was important also but Im one of the lucky ones, I went back to driving a few months post. Don`t give up hope, you will be on the road soon.

mc

I think that,for me, it isn't any ONE thing-it's anything associated with being INDEPENDENT! Oh, to go to pee at night without waking my husband so he can help me. Need something from the store? GO GET IT. you get the picture, I think. Becky

for me it was being the CXO of the family.

Going from being the driver to passenger hasn't been easy, though I've got the most wonderful, supportive family, always loving and patient to a fault.

NI PHoenis, well i miss alot of things that i can"t seem to do now like no independence bot able to drive, and of coarse not able to run so i can start training for a marathon but i still haven"t giving up on the things that i miss it just encourage mne to keep on moving forever up and better all the time all that you miss you shoukld be setting a goal to achieve just that, the more the better, all the best to you in your recovery and in reaching your goal

Well, for me it was my ability to drill bowling balls and operate my Pro Shop in the bowling center. That's what I missed the most early on cause I had to sell out once I got out the hospital.Then I discovered I would not be walking no time soon! :big_grin:

Fred!

For me it was several things. My speech/language issues along with aphasia is a BIGGIE. Then having the seizures which i decided not to drive anymore and let my roommates do the driving. I miss not driving my own Camry. And, I miss not working.

hostlinda

i agree with the others, my independence. up and go when i please, working, i enjoyed my job. driving was not a big thing for me because i didn't trust my reaction time anymore. i like being chauffeured around for the most part, LOL it is what it is. taking a bath,not showers all the time.

I like this topic. I'm happy in a distorted weird way to shout out how much I miss cute shoes and carrying a cute purse! This really cramps MY style..speaking of style elastic waists that are easy to pull up are NOT attractive...so add cute clothes and feeling like I look at least a little bit stylish and cute...oh add..hairstyle I can do...gosh this could go on and onnnnnnnnnnnnnnn...gosh I sound so nauseatingly vain...when vanity for me went O-U-T the door on June 17,2007....and being alive and somewhat functiong became MY normal.................. :blah_blah: :blah_blah: :blah_blah: :blah_blah: :blah_blah: :blah_blah: :blah_blah: whatevvvvvvvvvvvvver :head_hurts:

I like this topic. I'm happy in a distorted weird way to shout out how much I miss cute shoes and carrying a cute purse! This really cramps MY style..speaking of style elastic waists that are easy to pull up are NOT attractive...so add cute clothes and feeling like I look at least a little bit stylish and cute...oh add..hairstyle I can do...gosh this could go on and onnnnnnnnnnnnnnn...gosh I sound so nauseatingly vain...when vanity for me went O-U-T the door on June 17,2007....and being alive and somewhat functiong became MY normal.................. :blah_blah: :blah_blah: :blah_blah: :blah_blah: :blah_blah: :blah_blah: :blah_blah: whatevvvvvvvvvvvvver :head_hurts:

I totally agree. Mine was 2/24/09

I'm still vain regardless... ( blushes)

thanx, Kelli....I feel better already......................

• 1 month later...

Playing Piano and guitar and singing. I use to do it professionally and it was my main coping 'tool'. but while I can move my hands and arms I have no control in them and haven't lung capacity for singing. So close, but so far away.

Guest furiawill

I AGREE. FOR ME, THERE IS NO VANITY IN MY FAMILY, I HAVE IT ALL. HOPE YOU ARE HAVING THE BEST OF DAYS.

-WILL

Singing. I lost my diaphragm muscle control. Singing was a lifetime way to comfort myself and I could really use it right now. I also miss taking walks. It's nearly 2 years post stroke and although I can walk independently, I do it neither well nor over anything but smooth surfaces. I 'll get there eventually. I also miss my arm and hand working... and everything they used to do for me. I'm not sure what of those I miss most. It's possible I miss the feeling of freedom and independence the most.. The invulnerability of good health prior to random life changing events. So, I miss my naiveté I suppose.

I like this topic. I'm happy in a distorted weird way to shout out how much I miss cute shoes and carrying a cute purse! This really cramps MY style..speaking of style elastic waists that are easy to pull up are NOT attractive...so add cute clothes and feeling like I look at least a little bit stylish and cute...oh add..hairstyle I can do...gosh this could go on and onnnnnnnnnnnnnnn...gosh I sound so nauseatingly vain...when vanity for me went O-U-T the door on June 17,2007....and being alive and somewhat functiong became MY normal.................. whoosh.gifwhoosh.gifwhoosh.gifwhoosh.gifwhoosh.gifwhoosh.gifwhoosh.gif whatevvvvvvvvvvvvver head_hurts.gif

Oh, that's good to hear! I'm not alone. I always feel so shallow when I complain about my hair. I can't take care of it like I used to and it's suffered... and yes.. the stretchy pants and the shoes I love gathering dust in the closet... and how my figure has changed without the core muscle holding everything up... and yes, purses... now I use light sling, easy one hand access while the creamy leather ones sit by the shoes. Oh, and bras...and no dresses or skirts. And jewelry. I only wear the earrings I can put on myself. Strokes suck.

• 2 weeks later...

being able to walk more then a block without pain, doing my own shopping, being able to cook, there is so many more things Argh.gifI am grateful that Steffi my daughter (20) does lots of things for me

I hate the loss of independence and sense of self. Cannot fix hair properly, so I get really cute wigs--get lots of compliments. Love shoes and am trying out low heels with flex soles and a thicker heel. Elastic waist pants-- I got some from Soft Surroundings that are very stylish also Chicos have some with zippers that stretch enough to pull up without undoing as well as their travelers collection.I know it seems silly, but I think it's important to help us feel more ourselves. I drive around town and places nearby, but I was used to taking off by myself for a 300 mile drive to Maryland and our 2nd home-- well maybe someday. (And I wouldn't have said that a year ago.) I fasten my bra ahead of time and step into it and pull it up. I think if you want to wear a dress or skirt, do it. Put on artificial tan and/or use thigh hi's--buy one size larger than needed and they pull up well-- I like Hanes.In addition to my left hand not working properly I have dysarthria-- and I love to talk! LOL! Now it wears me out to go to lunch and eat and visit, but I do it. And of course playing the piano is out, except with one hand. But I will keep trying. I haven't given up on my left hand. My stroke was 7/9/10. I read the comment about core muscles and wondered because I noticd a difference there post stroke as well as change in my neck and under the chin, but when I asked about it I was told stroke did not cause this although it was different the hour before stroke.

Any how all we can do is try our best and make adaptations as needed. Whew, that's a lot of work sometimes. Bev

Just about everything about my life has changed, there are too many things I miss to list, but I'm learning to adapt. I'm really just happy to be alive & able to do what I can. Just keep trying never give up & adapt your lifestyle when needed....

I drove for awhile after my first stroke. I had to get the car fixed but by then I got use to things farily well. I had to get a left pedell foot extenstion on the car, and two contact lensen on the car too. Once I got thoughs on the car I had no problem with getting my license. But then in 2010 Sept. 20th I had a auerism surgery my blood preasuer dropped and caused me to have a spinal colum stroke. So I'm parlized from the wasit down.

Bruce Schwentker

I sure do miss the use of my left hand. Have you noticed how everything is made for two handed people.

Glenn

Hi Glenn, I lost the use of my RIGHT side. Yes, most things are made for two handed people, but, EVERYTHING in life is geared toward a right handed person.

I would love to be able to shake hands, normally, and therefore be given the ordinary respect reserved for the able bodied.

Archived