Medications and no insurance?

So, I indeed found myself without a job and I was denied unemployment insurance. Question now is, what do we do for our medications? Not taking them is a huge risk to my health, so I am rather scared of the future right now. What options do we have in regards to continuing our medications? I won't have a place to live in a month, let alone buy medications. I am rather alone in this and fairly worried, I don't know what I can do. I need to try to stay on my preventive meds.

Any ideas?

gavin, please check with the pharmaceutical compny that makes your meds. since you have little to no income they will send them to you free. you have to fill out a simple form that can be printed from their website and your doctor has to fill out a portiion. you may have to reapply every six months but your meds will come every month free of charge.

Gavin,

Sorry to hear of the difficulties you are having.

You can always check our financial help link to see from which programs you may benefit by clicking here.

You might specifically like to check out Partnership for Prescription Assistance which you may check out by clicking here.

you can also always find these resources through the links on our homepage.

Best of luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.

(((((hugs)))))

Maria

HI I WOULD ASK THE DRUG REPS AT YOUR DR OFFICE, EXPLAIN YOUR SITUATION AND SEE IF YOU CAN GET FREE MEDICINE FROM THEM OR HOW YOU CAN GET FREE MEDICINE. I KNOW AT THE DR OFFICE I WORK FOR, WE GIVE PATIENTS FREE MEDS TO PATIENTS THAT NEED THEM. AND COULD YOU APPLY AT SOC SEC FOR MEDICAID AND SSDI OR AN ATTORNEY WHO CAN HELP WITH THIS TO GET INS AND MONEY. BEST OF LUCK. PATTY

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question, how could this work for me? We had to move to another state because my husband lost his job due to a back injury, I don't work or worked (I am a 4 time stroke survivor, I know it sounds like a lot, I was only aware of the one but according to my neuro I've had others!)...we have no money and I don't want to think about the risk I'm taking by not taking my meds, anyway, the question would be if I don't have a neurologist here yet (It's been over a year already!) I have to ask for my med records first to be able to get checked by a neurologist here and when I have a dr apply right? ...I have to have a prescription, can't just go to the pharmacy and ask for my Lipitor! ...things would be alot easier if I could buy directly! ...and cheaper...

Cynthia: unfortunately Pharmacies are very strictly regulated because of abuse and your prescriptions are probably expired by now.

First thing is you have to apply for Medicaid. You are disabled and unable to work, have no income. You have to set yourself up with a Primary Care provider-doesn't have to be a Neuro. You need a new Doctor. You will take all your prescriptions, or a list of them to him/her. Then you can discuss options as to mail order, local pharmacy, or the Drug Company or Partnership for Prescription Assistance that Maria has given the Web site to.

You must be followed by some sort of Medical doctor-even a local clinic, if you can get a quick appointment. Please do make that a priority. Doctor will call for you medical records-just need name and phone numbers of the Doctors who were treating you and you will sign a release form. Please do make this a priority. Prayers, Debbie

Cynthia,

You might like to check out our Resources link> Financial Assistance on our homepage. There is a program called Partnership for Prescription Assistance for which you may qualify. Click here to get there.

• 2 weeks later...

I still haven't found where to get my medications at a discounted price. I went 3 weeks without lisinipril and my BP rose to 160/100 with near 24x7 migraines. I went to CVS and it turns out the med was $17 with out insurance. So, lesson is to check with the local pharmacy, I could have had it during my off time. I wasn't able to get any reliable info on medications from Canada. Anyhow have info on that?

Guest furiawill

GAVIN,

CHECK TO SEE IF YOU CAN GET SSI AND SSDI. I BELIEVE YOU QUALIFY. I HOPE THIS HELPS. ALSO, FOR SOME REASON, THEY ALWAYS TURN YOU DOWN THE FIRST TIME YOU SUBMIT, SO RE-SUBMIT AND YOU WILL BE APPROVED. I HOPE THIS HELPS.

-WILL

Archived