Do you remember having your stroke

sebi99

I remember most of my Stroke. I don't know if I have said this to anyone in here but because of memory problems, and how my brain works now.I am A little hesitant because of my paranoia of what others think of me. I don't think i talk to here myself yet I do not know. I think reflecting back to the beginning of my new life has some merit for me i hope it will for you also. So here goes.

I was taking care of my mom April 27 Don't know the year.2009 or 10. She has copd from cigs. Well she is 80 tho. I was there all day and at 4 PM i went to do an estimate.The estimate was at my ex wifes work lol. As i was finishing the estimate i was talking with Cheryl my x. We still love one another don't marry some one just to hate them. I was leaving, Nathan my nephew called I was trying to here his words but the words were messed up I said wait till i get in my van Nate. Then got to van, and my eyes, both of them started double vision, then vertigo and spinning. I felt like vomiting I set the phone down and said Nate call an ambulance. He was at home so he called and kept me on the cell. 5 minute passed I was out cold then i herd BOB...... BOB it was Nathan and his voice pulled me back out of the hands of God. Nathan Did not give up. 5 minutes he was screaming at me BOB. That is all Just sayin thanks Nate. I was all alone in my van. It was the left side cerebellum clot. I dont know y both eyes went haywire tho. I am glad i got another chance.

Thank you for listening.Yours truly Bob Sebastian.

oh yes bob like it was yesterday but in fact it was 10 years ago i had just finish training for the marothon run by running on the **beep** and after getting home from the run i did"nt feel very good i had a very upset stomachand a really bad headache but i didn"t really think that anything was really wrong with me i just chalk it up to going for a run it was march 19th 2001 and my wife took me to the doctor as my son saw my left arm just fall no control of it and my son yelled mom somethings wrong with dad his arm doesn"t work i was taken to the hospital and it was found that i had an ischemic stroke i was really out of it could"nt walk or think munch at alland i was very scared didn"t know if i will ever get better , i nevwer lost the ability to talk but my speech was not right i had in fact develope asphisia and i came home in a wheel chair and i couldn"t dress my self or even shower by myselfmy wife/cargiver did it all for me so it was now that i decided to set up some goals for me and since i use to be a marothon runner i wanted to start to walk and then after i learned how to do that i would still get very tired so i started to build my endurance walking every day twice a day a little further and then i decided to learn how to dress myself and i did that but now i still wanted to shower by myself and i did that so each and every day i would find something that i could"t do and learn how and after 10 years now i have come a very long way i am not quite able to run yet but i am tring because i hope to run the marathon again so it has just been one new goal after another until i get it so yes it does take a lon=g time but it does get better and munch easier for me so the best advice i can give you is to work on getting better one limb at a time and don"t give up try not to stress over it and always have a positive attitude about getting better all the best to youbob on your journey of recovery

I am A little hesitant because of my paranoia of what others think of me.

I understand how you feel and though I reflect a lot too, I doubt I will say much for the same reasons. I just want to say that I believe you and I share the same fears and doubts. Bob, I am glad you are still here, too and I hope life keeps getting better for you.

Jamie

Bob: Bruce remembers the day almost to the hour. Does not remember the day before or about two days after. Just funny how it works so individually for each of you.

This is a safe place to reflect and explore. I don't think there are any good or bad ideas. Any idea thrown out to the group draws interaction, tips and suggestions. Not a single bad thing there.

Keep in mind being here is a lot different that being out in the world. Everyone here has been touched by stroke and I think have a completely different way of looking at stroke. My poor Chris is afraid her co-workers and boss will think of her poorly becaause of her recent stroke. That must be so scary for her. She re-entered the workforce at 54 with an old college degree and three kids to feed and educate. She was desperate for a job at that time, now she is desperate to keep it.

You all have suffered such a life changing event and how you will "fit" remains to be seen. But here, you are safe. And if you can give us topics to consider and toss around, all the better. Debbie

I can remember in bits and pieces-having the most horrendous headache the whole day, losing balance and falling while attempting to get out of the car, The relief on getting back to my husband, his concern at my slurred speech, doctor asking me to squeeze his hand with my left and muttering, loss of power, appears to be neuro, being wheeled to the mri.. and then theres a huge blank.

Coming tois spotty in reverse. Just short periods of wakefulness and alertness which kept getting longer and I became more aware of my surroundings.

My family filled in a lot of the missing pieces later

Hi Bob,

I remember the stroke, and getting to the first ER, that's it though. I don't remember what happened in the ER's, or the following three weeks.Apparently I'm lucky to have survived.

My memory problems now are such that I have to leave sticky notes all over for myself; names are a problem, and I use the timer on my stove a lot.

Take care,

Susan head_hurts.gif

Bob,

I remember the stroke like it was yesterday. I'll never forget that day at 11am on Thursday morning 2004. I was on the computer in the back bedroom upstairs. Suddenly my fingers on left hand went numb then up to my elbow. I had no idea what was happening to me. I stood up to go downstairs and fell, go up and fell again. At that point I thought I had Mad Cow disease. Shortly I passed out. I was home alone my wife came home about 3pm found me at the top of the stairs trying to slide down for help.

She called 911, got to the military hospital then sent me to Scott & White 30 miles away because I would need the operation to remove the skull. Well that was now seven hours after the stroke but the doctors decided not to operate. My head was full of blood but the bleed had stopped. I remained in ICU a week then up to the ward for recovery and rehab. There I remained for 5 months then released to come home in a wheelchair unable to walk otherwise OK!

Here I am 7 years later still using a cane and a scooter to get around on my own. I do drive a Ford Explorer and haul my scooter everywhere I go so I feel blessed. My wife remained by my side and I'm very thankful for that. She quit her job for two years caring for me in the WC. Today, I'm just happy to still be alive and Mobile with left side weakness.

Fred!

Guest furiawill

I remember most of my Stroke. I don't know if I have said this to anyone in here but because of memory problems, and how my brain works now.I am A little hesitant because of my paranoia of what others think of me. I don't think i talk to here myself yet I do not know. I think reflecting back to the beginning of my new life has some merit for me i hope it will for you also. So here goes.

I was taking care of my mom April 27 Don't know the year.2009 or 10. She has copd from cigs. Well she is 80 tho. I was there all day and at 4 PM i went to do an estimate.The estimate was at my ex wifes work lol. As i was finishing the estimate i was talking with Cheryl my x. We still love one another don't marry some one just to hate them. I was leaving, Nathan my nephew called I was trying to here his words but the words were messed up I said wait till i get in my van Nate. Then got to van, and my eyes, both of them started double vision, then vertigo and spinning. I felt like vomiting I set the phone down and said Nate call an ambulance. He was at home so he called and kept me on the cell. 5 minute passed I was out cold then i herd BOB...... BOB it was Nathan and his voice pulled me back out of the hands of God. Nathan Did not give up. 5 minutes he was screaming at me BOB. That is all Just sayin thanks Nate. I was all alone in my van. It was the left side cerebellum clot. I dont know y both eyes went haywire tho. I am glad i got another chance.

BOB,

I DO REMEMBER MY STROKE, IN FACT YOU CAN READ MY BLOG CALLED "MY STORY" HERE ON STROKENET.

-WILL

It was June 21st 2008 a Sunday at 4 am. I awoke with a need to go to the bath room. As I tried to stand up my left leg gave way and I fell back in bed. Three times I tried and failed to stand. I woke my wife who is a retired RN. She took one look at me and yelled “you are having a STROKE’. A quick call to 911 brought quick help and a trip to the local hospital. The doctor in ER had me touch my nose with right hand then left. I was able to do that with little problem but 15 minutes latter my left hand would not work right. The local hospital could not handle a stroke so I was air lifted to a major stoke hospital where I was diagnosed with a hemorrhagic stroke, then a fluke stroke, and finely an ischemic stroke. Now 3 years later I am doing as well as can be expected.

Best of luck to you.

Glenn

Yes, I remember having my stroke. In some ways, I hate remembering it, because I also remember the terror I felt while having it. But, like you, upon reflection, I realize that it's important to remember as it bears "gifts": The day was 2/3/07, and until you actually went outside and felt it, you would think it was early Spring; it was sunny and clear. We were in mtns of NC, having gone to Asheville NC the night before to meet some friends and hear a band play. We were coming home the next day. As the day was so beautiful, we took the "scenic route", through the mtns instead of the highway. We had no idea of where we were, but hoped we'd eventually reach the flatlands again. We finally emerged from the mtns at an intersection with a convenience store on the corner. We quickly grabbed snacks for the road, and left. We still didn't know where we were, and hadn't asked at the store, because asking would have ruined our little adventure. But, pretty soon, we saw a sign telling us that a town we both knew was up ahead. Just as we passed that sign, my rt eye, which had been red the last couple of days( having red eyes didn't alarm me as I had worn hard contacts for 28 yrs, and one or both eyes were always red) , started hurting. Seeing my distress, Thom suggested I use the eye drops we had. Didn't help. A few minutes later, the pain intensified. I didn't think it was the eye drops as there was too much time between putting the eye drops in and the intensifying of the pain. Besides, there was no burning sensation, just a hurting. When the pain intesified, I started getting scared, and telling Thom that I needed to go to the ER. He pulled the truck over to call 911, but had no service on his cell, so he walked around the truck to tell me that he was going back to the store. I was just standing there, holding my face. I had gotten out of the truck, for some unknown reason, and he wanted to know if I were OK. I had felt something, and put both hands on my face, where I felt all sense of feeling draining from my face, like water down a bathtub drain. I also heard a deafening sound in my head. Now I really panicked, as Thom drove back to the store, and called 911. Turns out, we were just around the corner from the nearest hospital- it only took the EMTs 4 min. to get to me.It was a small,country hospital, and there were no other patients, so, basically, all staff tended to me.They quickly recognised stroke symptoms, gave me an MRI, contacted the nearest stroke center, gave me the med I needed, and arranged transport to the stroke center - all within 15 mins. I credit them with saving my life, and so did the stroke center.All I can say is that I didn't need to know where I was, because I was in God's hands. Sorry this is so long. All I wanted to say was that I remembered having my stroke,but then, this post took on a life of its own. Becky

I do and don't. My eyes were closed the entire time for like three weeks until I got an eye patch so I dont know what was real and what was dream. Kind of like child birth, mine mind deleted it from my memory

Hey Bob, I even got to hear the whole story in person tonight but in return you had to listen to mine. Great having a chat with another survivor, beer was even better.

Dean

Dean it was a pleasure, I really like your site too.looking forward to next time Dean (((:::

Yes, I remember having my stroke. In some ways, I hate remembering it, because I also remember the terror I felt while having it. But, like you, upon reflection, I realize that it's important to remember as it bears "gifts": The day was 2/3/07, and until you actually went outside and felt it, you would think it was early Spring; it was sunny and clear. We were in mtns of NC, having gone to Asheville NC the night before to meet some friends and hear a band play. We were coming home the next day. As the day was so beautiful, we took the "scenic route", through the mtns instead of the highway. We had no idea of where we were, but hoped we'd eventually reach the flatlands again. We finally emerged from the mtns at an intersection with a convenience store on the corner. We quickly grabbed snacks for the road, and left. We still didn't know where we were, and hadn't asked at the store, because asking would have ruined our little adventure. But, pretty soon, we saw a sign telling us that a town we both knew was up ahead. Just as we passed that sign, my rt eye, which had been red the last couple of days( having red eyes didn't alarm me as I had worn hard contacts for 28 yrs, and one or both eyes were always red) , started hurting. Seeing my distress, Thom suggested I use the eye drops we had. Didn't help. A few minutes later, the pain intensified. I didn't think it was the eye drops as there was too much time between putting the eye drops in and the intensifying of the pain. Besides, there was no burning sensation, just a hurting. When the pain intesified, I started getting scared, and telling Thom that I needed to go to the ER. He pulled the truck over to call 911, but had no service on his cell, so he walked around the truck to tell me that he was going back to the store. I was just standing there, holding my face. I had gotten out of the truck, for some unknown reason, and he wanted to know if I were OK. I had felt something, and put both hands on my face, where I felt all sense of feeling draining from my face, like water down a bathtub drain. I also heard a deafening sound in my head. Now I really panicked, as Thom drove back to the store, and called 911. Turns out, we were just around the corner from the nearest hospital- it only took the EMTs 4 min. to get to me.It was a small,country hospital, and there were no other patients, so, basically, all staff tended to me.They quickly recognised stroke symptoms, gave me an MRI, contacted the nearest stroke center, gave me the med I needed, and arranged transport to the stroke center - all within 15 mins. I credit them with saving my life, and so did the stroke center.All I can say is that I didn't need to know where I was, because I was in God's hands. Sorry this is so long. All I wanted to say was that I remembered having my stroke,but then, this post took on a life of its own. Becky

Yes Becky I understand. Talking about these things is good. Thank you.

Hi Bob,

I remember the stroke, and getting to the first ER, that's it though. I don't remember what happened in the ER's, or the following three weeks.Apparently I'm lucky to have survived.

My memory problems now are such that I have to leave sticky notes all over for myself; names are a problem, and I use the timer on my stove a lot.

Take care,

Susan head_hurts.gif

Sticky note Susan ;)

I'll never forget, it was the day my life changed drastically...It was Friday 10/03/2008 noonish & I was alone at work. I felt just fine until then...I 1st started to feel a bit strange & off balance thought it might be vertigo. Then noticed my speech was impaired & I could no longer write with my right hand (used to be right handed). Had I known then what I know now I would have walked to clinic around corner, but I didn't. I thought I would just drive myself home & take a nap. Fortunately when I called my boyfriend he insisted on coming to get me so I waited for him. On the way we got stuck in traffic & I started feeling sick to my stomach, as soon as I said "I feel nauseous" I began throwing up uncontrollably. When we got to the emergency center 6:30ish I could no longer walk....I remember it souned like crickets being very loud in my head & I don't remember but I've been told I said my head hurt real bad. Well I was in & out of one hospital or another for the next month or so...I had a stroke in my cerebellum. And can you believe it my boyfriend is still with me he just keeps hanging in there, I'm glad!!smile.gif Well that's my story, it still makes me cry thinking about it...

I'll never forget, it was the day my life changed drastically...It was Friday 10/03/2008 noonish & I was alone at work. I felt just fine until then...I 1st started to feel a bit strange & off balance thought it might be vertigo. Then noticed my speech was impaired & I could no longer write with my right hand (used to be right handed). Had I known then what I know now I would have walked to clinic around corner, but I didn't. I thought I would just drive myself home & take a nap. Fortunately when I called my boyfriend he insisted on coming to get me so I waited for him. On the way we got stuck in traffic & I started feeling sick to my stomach, as soon as I said "I feel nauseous" I began throwing up uncontrollably. When we got to the emergency center 6:30ish I could no longer walk....I remember it souned like crickets being very loud in my head & I don't remember but I've been told I said my head hurt real bad. Well I was in & out of one hospital or another for the next month or so...I had a stroke in my cerebellum. And can you believe it my boyfriend is still with me he just keeps hanging in there, I'm glad!!smile.gif Well that's my story, it still makes me cry thinking about it...

Thank you for sharing your story. I had vertigo also. I am glad tour bf is still with you. All the best Bob

I was talking with my husband and he said that right after the doctor adjusted me I sat up and said I felt as if I was going to pass out.He told me to sit and I started talking to him and mentioning I saw two of them and then my eyes went like Marty Feldman and my whole right side went flacid and I lost my speech.

I have no memory of that for they said I was in and out of it.

I( back to his words) got to the hospital and they told me but everyone was in disbelief. Called to Chopper to Medi vac me and then nothing. Im here so whatever worked lol

My sister told me my father cried like a baby when they told him I had a slim chance at living. But again..I was in LA-La Land. Whoooot drugs are AWESOME

My story is simillar to Glenn's actually. It was about 9:30 am Sunday June 12, 2011 and I awoke needing to go to the restroom as we all do when we first wake up. I had a horrendous headache, which is not unusuall for me as i also have epilpsy, but this one was a bit worse than normal. Anyhow, I attempted to stand up and my left leg and arm would not respond and I went down to the floor! I tried 2 more times to stand up but no dice. I also noticed I had a strange taste in my mouth. I foolishly figured I must have had a seizure during the night and was just week from it. I pulled myself back into bed and went back to sleep for about another hour and 15 mins.. When I woke back up I did manage to make it to the restroom but only by holding myself up on the vanity and everything eles I could get my hands on. I still figured it was from a seizure. My husband had been up late the night before working so he was not awake yet and I did not want to bother him. After about another hour the headache was at it's worse ever and I once again could not move. (I had litterly just about crawed to the living room at this point) I called my Neuro Doc and explained to him what was going on and the man YELLED at me (LOL) wanting to know why I was calling him and not 911? My husband had gotten up at this point and I made my 3rd mistake of the day and told him that he needed to take me to the hospital instead of calling 911. We did go to the ER and the rest is history as they say. I have since learned my lesson. So we do not hesitate any longer.

Hi Bob,

Yes I remeber my first stroke very well. I woke up about 2:30 and I tried to get out of bed. I fell out of bed and hit the floor. My son was up and he helped me up. I went to the bathroom and then went back to bed. (A big mistake!) then I woke back up at 6:30 am. and again I fell out of bed. My wife looked at me and realized I looked finnie! From there she called the Recue squad and they came and took me to the ER. My bp was 200/158 or something like that. I was taken upstares and treatment stared for me there.

Bruce

Vividly, or so I believe. My stroke was on a day off work, a Sunday. I'd spent the morning on the computer and drank a pot of coffee during that time. I decided to take a shower and run errands and hit the gym. I Felt great. I was singing in the shower, lathering my hair and my voice went wonky. It was far away and inside my head all at once. I knew something was wrong, but not HOW wrong. I decided to rinse the shampoo and get out of the shower. I stopped singing and I suppose not experiencing the auditory anomaly any longer let me not be as concerned. I decided to finish my shower properly. I put my leg, not sure which, on the edge of the tub to scrub and then the other and then I just went down like a felled tree.I remember my head banging around the back of the tub. I don't know if I passed out momentarily or not. It didn't seem so. I don't remember really assessing the damage. I quickly realized I couldn't move my left arm. I was laying on my left side. I used my right foot to turn off the shower.

I had almost 8 hours in the tub shower.I wasn't afraid. I was bored and frustrated. I think our brains have some great failsafe mechanisms to save us too much distress in situations where fight or flight isn't an option. I spent my time trying to get out of the tub. Thinking about leverage angles and if I could just get over the lip and flop to the floor, I could get to my phone in the other room; which had been ringing earlier because my husband has always had a habit of calling me during his work day to check on me. He's a worrier.Actually, my first thought was to get to the computer and Google stroke symptoms... so, I wasn't exactly 100% rational. In reality,even if I had managed to get out of the tub, I'm not sure if I could have navigated with my whole left side out of commission, to get the phone. But, it would have been less boring trying.

I really think my consciousness was in a slightly altered state. Time was less relevant. I KNEW I had a stroke. I just didn't know beans about strokes. The stroke info that was most recent and present in my mind during the 8 hours, was the youtube or TED video of Jill Bolte Taylor's talk about her stroke experience. And really, what was there to be concerned about if this articulate, pacing woman was relating her stroke experience? I remember amusing myself by gripeing that I was being gypped by my stroke, since I didn't have the Timothy Learyesq experiences she had. I mean really... how much more entertaining would have it been, if my molecules and the tub molecules blending together to where I couldn't tell them apart? Where was my look at Dark Matter or the Epiphany of realizing the interconnectedness of the Universe? Sheesh. Yeah, I thought a stroke was just experiencing an altered brain state and everything would be fine in the aftermath. I also had a friend in Thailand that had multiple strokes and still rode his motorcycle and swam everyday. He complained about his pinky lagging on the keyboard. I didn't know he had TIAs and I was having a major event. Ignorance was blissful in this particular situation since there was nothing I could do about it after it happened.

Which... always brings round the topic of public awareness about strokes.. or the lack of it I should say. But that's another post.

So, My husband came home a little past 8:00 P.M. and came into the bath when he heard me banging on the wall. He asked me... "Are you !@#%&$ with me?". I lifted my head and told him I think I had a stroke. He told me once he saw the left side of my face and the slurred speech, he knew I was right. I asked him to get me out of the tub and a glass of water. I was dehydrated from the heater blasting in a small bathroom with the door closed. He tried to get me out, but the angle was bad and then he realized that he shouldn't be taking directions from me but should call the ambulance. Luckily, he didn't get me the water either, since I would have aspirated it at that point.

Boy, it was nice to be lifted out of that tub by the emts. I stayed alert and cognizant for the next few hours in the ER. I was very chatty with the staff. My husband, Daughter and friend were in there and looked so serious that I tried to lighten the mood. The ER Dr. noted I was " charismatic" on my evaluation notes. This of course entitles me to the claim of being officially diagnosed as 'charismatic'. Not quite worth the admission price of a stroke; but you take what you can get from some things. I finally passed out and mostly slept for the next couple days while my brain swelling lessened.

So, Bob,I think being conscious during a brain event might be less common than being unconscious. I couldn't find any stats on it. But... seems there are many of us that remember.

• 4 weeks later...

Like many people, I remember only parts as well. I remember before the stroke and the worst headache ever. Not being able to get up and the vomiting. I was only vaguely aware of the slurred speech. I don't remember the ambulance ride, the ER or the Intensive care unit. Only the second week and after in the Stroke Recovery unit I start to get spots of memory. I was told it was pretty touch and go there, and my girlfriend and family had to fill in all the blanks later.

My story is simillar to Glenn's actually. It was about 9:30 am Sunday June 12, 2011 and I awoke needing to go to the restroom as we all do when we first wake up. I had a horrendous headache, which is not unusuall for me as i also have epilpsy, but this one was a bit worse than normal. Anyhow, I attempted to stand up and my left leg and arm would not respond and I went down to the floor! I tried 2 more times to stand up but no dice. I also noticed I had a strange taste in my mouth. I foolishly figured I must have had a seizure during the night and was just week from it. I pulled myself back into bed and went back to sleep for about another hour and 15 mins.. When I woke back up I did manage to make it to the restroom but only by holding myself up on the vanity and everything eles I could get my hands on. I still figured it was from a seizure. My husband had been up late the night before working so he was not awake yet and I did not want to bother him. After about another hour the headache was at it's worse ever and I once again could not move. (I had litterly just about crawed to the living room at this point) I called my Neuro Doc and explained to him what was going on and the man YELLED at me (LOL) wanting to know why I was calling him and not 911? My husband had gotten up at this point and I made my 3rd mistake of the day and told him that he needed to take me to the hospital instead of calling 911. We did go to the ER and the rest is history as they say. I have since learned my lesson. So we do not hesitate any longer.

How are you doimg-the reason I ask/my sroke was a month earlier and nothing has changed/I still have rt side paraylis and do everything left handed now.

Archived