Overactive Bladder

One of the results of my stroke is loss of bladder control. This has developed into almost constant flow. It's not even worth it to try to make it to the bathroom. My appt. with the Urologist isn't until Nov. 7 and I can hardly wait. Does anyone have more info on this topic? I have copied everything online I can find but I seem to be the only one with this problem. Lynd

Hi,

I can only imagine what this is like for you! The only information I've found is just for "OAB", (Overactive Bladder) and with all the info you have at this point you're probably more informed. Speaking with your doc is good; hopefully he/she will have some options for you.

Susan console.gif

You aren't the only one but maybe most won't talk about it. It have/had that problem too. As time passed my bladder grew stronger but I know how hard it is. I, too, hope the urologist can help you.

Hi Lynd, no you are not the only one. I am 27 years post and I still have `accidents` If I feel the need to go, I have to start making my way to the washroom right away. If I try to finish what I am doing before going, I am sure to wet my pants. I had my bladder measured a while back. It is normal. It is on the smaller end of normal but normal just the same. I drink a lot during the day, water and coffee and both make me go a lot. I try to remember to go before I leave the house. That seems to work. I also have to go before leaving anywhere I go. I know where all the toilets are in all the stores I shop at . We used to make jokes that I am like a kid because I need to visit all the bathrooms where I go. I don`t have as many accidents anymore because I am aware and I take the necessary steps not to have accidents. If I need to go, I notice that I have the hardest time holding it when at a red light or trying to unlock my door. Just another gift left over from the stroke that I learned to live with.

mc

Lynd,

I'm probably in the wrong ball park but some where between bladder and prostate I fit in. I take Finasteride Tabs 5mg daily and have been since my stroke in 2004. The doc says it's enlarged so maybe that's not normal.

Anyway I sorta time my self. I go before leaving home then 3 hours later I go again. Every three hours is my schedule. If I go pass that time I can't hold it and it's coming out where ever I happen to be. When I'm pushed like that and as soon as I see the urinal or commode in the men's room it starts coming out, I can not stop it or hold it.

So the three hours between going works great for me. I have a friend that had a stroke many years ago who times himself two hours then go. He has no feelings or warnings to tell him when to go.

I doubt if you are alone in this situation With me it's a mind over matter thing and I got it under my control but my doctor says I have it for the rest of my life with the medication.

Fred!

I had sensation but if I relied on that it was too late. I kept several changes of clothes in the bathroom within reach because I often couldn't make it. In between actual bathroom visits I still had trouble with continence and would need to change clothes twice a day. I used panty liners until things got better.

Found a couple things thru Google Scholar:

A lot of its not understood, how to fix.

http://www.springerlink.com/index/604hqnbmmyh6r1ky.pdf

http://www.ajmc.com/media/pdf/AMSub11_2000milsomS565_73.pdf

http://www.jbc.org/content/279/35/36746.short

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/s0022-5347(05)00313-7

This sounds interesting: At least it gives a drug:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1474442203006227

Google scholar here:

http://scholar.google.com/

This is where I have set up numerous alerts.

Dean

Hi Lynd, you are doing the right thing to go see your doctor. I have read in the medical journal about stroke causing unable to control the bladder muscle so hopefully the doctor can help you to help you with your controlling your bladder.

Thanks to all the suggestions and concern. It's good to know I'm not alone. Answer to someone: My urine just keeps running so it's no sense in running to the toilet. I'd be changing my diaper several times a day. Changing a protective arment (diaper) is something else - being somewhat paralyzed, it is real hard to put on a protective garment. My toes often get stuck in the feet holes and my toes get stuck in the pockets of my slacks too. It also seems I put both feet in the same hole. Lynd

HI I WISH YOU AL THE BEST.MAYBE THE UROLOGIST HOPEFULLY WILL HAVE ANS FOR YOU... MEDICATIONS, SELF CATH TILL BLADDER HAS CONTROL, I KNEW A PARAPLEGIC AND HE WOULD SELF CATH HIM SELF 5/6X A DAY OR WEARING A CATH TILL YOU CAN GET CONTROL. I KNOW FOR ME, I DON T HAVE THAT PROBLEM, BUT WHEN I GOTTA GO, I HAVE TO GO...NOW. PATTY

Lynd, I don't have any solutions for you, I just wanted to tell you that, while not as hard to hold it as you, I do have a definite problem with it. I know of 3 options=surgery or medicine, and exercises. I've done the exercises with mixed success, and have a problem with both surgery and medicine, plus, I have gotten better over time, Let us know. Good Luck, Becky

Lynd: if you read posts under Caregiver Burnout, you will find many from me on this very issue.

Ok, my Bruce is a male and I have the advantage of putting a Texas on him: a catheter that fits and looks like a condom, but attaches to a drainage bag. I do believe there are female designed ones, because in the clinic, we use little ones to catch urine from infant girls. However, you probably won't find them at your local medical supply. Would probably have to go on-line for Female Incontinence Devices.

Bruce's doctor explained it to me. If one part of the body especially the legs is spasming as a result of stroke, so is the bladder. Since the bladder is smooth muscle, you do not feel it spasming, you just wet. Bruce was put on two different spasm medicines: Zanaflex for the leg and arm spasms: motor muscles and Ditropan for the bladder spasms: smooth muscle. One aside, many medications also cause increase in frequency. We found this out when Bruce's Baclofen was increased, but not his Ditropan. He was constantly going until we got to the Urologist, who increased the Ditropan accordingly and within three weeks, we were back retraining Bruce's bladder.

For your Urology appointment, make sure you bring a complete list of all medications, even over the counter meds your are taking.

In the meantime, Kugel exercises. These are easy when you are just sitting. If you don't know what these are, think about stemming your urine and then relaxing the same muscles. Try to toilet every two hours even if you are already too late. You mind knows your are sitting on the toilet to go and talks to your bladder-rewiring. There are some very nice, thick panty liners that may help. Easy to put in and take out, without trying to put on Incontinence underwear. They are available at most grocery and stores like Walmart. I could suggest trying the men's-the one's I have for Bruce have thickness straight through, not just in front.

Just some statistics: 31% of all stroke victims are incontinent after stroke. 11% of these remain incontinent one year post. Personally at 2 1/2 years post for Bruce, back in July I had just accepted that he would remain so and had resigned myself to either never leaving the house or reverting to the Texas catheter full time. After the medication tweaking and some serious bladder retraining, things are much improved. He will probably always be incontinent while asleep, but with some tough love and a serious bladder retraining program, things are looking up. Best, Debbie

• 1 month later...

Hi Lynd: I can definitely identify with you. In the hospital I had a catheter for 2 months and it took a long time to retrain it. I wore Depends for about a year, then thick pads and now the thinner pad. I found a good urologist who used an electro-stimulation techique on me 1x/wk for about 2-3 months. Patience and acceptance are two crucial factors for stroke survivors. I pray daily for God's help in getting me thru each day. I promise the incontinence will get better.

Love, Leah

LYND, I TOO HAVE THAT PROBLEM SINCE MY STROKE. SOME BLOOD PRESSURE MEDS CONTAIN A DIURETIC THAT MAKES YOU HAVE TO GO MORE. IF YOU ARE ON BP MEDS. MY DR PUT ME ON A MED CALLED OXYBUTRIN 5MG 2 TIMES A DAY TO HELP THE SUDDEN URGES I WOULD GET AND COULDN'T GET TO BR IN TIME. THEN THERE ARE TIMES I CAN FEEL ME NEEDING TO GO AND THEN I DON'T, I HAVE TO WEAR PROTECTION 24/7. THE BLADDER NERVES WERE DAMAGED BY MY STROKE. THE PILLS HAVE WORKED WELL FOR ME. I TRY NOT TO DRINK ANYTHING AFTER 6PM OR IF I KNOW I'M GOING OUT I DON'T DRINK TO MUCH DURING THE DAY. HOPEFULLY YOUR DR WILL BE ABLE TO HELP YOU WITH THIS PROBLEM. REMEMBER TOO IN WOMEN, GOING THROUGH PREGNANCIES AND BIRTH CAN CAUSE OUR BLADDERS TO DROP SOMEWHAT. LET US KNOW WHAT THE DR SAYS AFTER YOUR VISIT.

knowledge?=no...personal experience? = yes: I have same urinary incontinence problems. I went to urologist and after some kinda :head_hurts: icky tests...I'm just wimpy, I guess, I came home withthe drug called Enablex.Vesicare hadn't worked before Urologist trip. 4 yrs later I do much better. Far from perfect, but def. better..I kinda funtion now= Am down to 1-3 daytime oops per week. I have to wear Depends at night cuz I just cannot make it fast enuf......But during the day I do pretty good now...Plus I try my durndest to watch the clock and get myself into bathroom every 2 hours. 'spose it's about as good as I'm gonna get and i am thankful for this scenario ....hate having accidents. Especially in public.................ugh!

I'm in the same club 9 + years after stroke I was on ditropan in hospital but has gotten better the more aware I've become. I'm 60 yrs 40lbs+ overweight delivered 2 children perfect candidate for bladder problems urge sensation is clear - but if I leave it too long or am standing - here she comes & no amount of effort or concentration will stop it one it starts . its like I mentally camcacannot isolate the urinary sphincter muscle.

Also I can have to go like crazy & be unable to release. reminds me o the hand , I have some squeeze there - but cannot open.

In sort depends frequent visits.

that's one of the worse side effects to this mess.

For me it is still greatly exacerbated by the fact I cannot go pee by myself so unless I have a rt hand bar or bathroom buddy I'm SOL!

Knowing we are all in the same boat is helpful.

Susan

• 2 weeks later...

One of the results of my stroke is loss of bladder control. This has developed into almost constant flow. It's not even worth it to try to make it to the bathroom. My appt. with the Urologist isn't until Nov. 7 and I can hardly wait. Does anyone have more info on this topic? I have copied everything online I can find but I seem to be the only one with this problem. Lynd

This month marks nine years since my stroke and have had urinary incontinence since then. Just recently I've started Biofeedback treatments and am experiencing some encouraging changes--not a quick cure and remember that we all react differently to any treatments, but I'll continue trying this route for a while. I'll post my progress! I'm sure you are using various incontinence pads. I prefer the Serenity brand and would truly be housebound without them.

• 2 months later...

Hey, Im a Newbie,

But my dad has a hematoma (collection of blood) on his brain, and it does affect his incontinence (like every half hr), along with his mental state and walking, so you're definitely not alone.

Manny

• 3 months later...

Check the side effects of your meds. Last summer I spent three months in the hospital with a broken leg and they gave me a generic version of Baclofen which my doctor prescribed to alleviate spasticity and I take only occasionally when needed. Only a few days before my discharge did I find online the side effects that included frequent urination and I promptly instructed the nurse to stop giving me them before bedtime or anytime for that matter. Nobody had looked into side effects and I spent many PT sessions in pull-ups or even diapers. I must have had 5 urine analysis in that time which all were negative for infection.

Hope this is useful for you

Pat

I made a comment on this subject back in October and just so happen I see it front and center again and at this time I have developed a near sudden action that must be attended to immediately! I was thinking it's because my water intake has increased substantially since then!

Now when I first feel the urge to "Go" I must go right then because I can't hold it any longer! Pat, you mentioned a drug that I once was taking but I don't think that has any affect now that I'm taking Tramadol which is about the same drug!

• 5 months later...

Ironically, I discovered after I came home from rehab that my bladder control was better than it had ever been - we used to joke that the surgeons had given me a new bladder, as well as the brain fixes. I fixed that, though, by taking a "natural" product that was supposed to fix cramps (which was NOT what I needed), which left me having to race to the bathroom as soon as i felt the need. Baclofen made the problem worse, and even several years later, i still have not returned to the wonderful control i came home from hospital with. Apparently the neurotransmitter Vassopressin can help with control, and I did buy a nasal spray of it, and it does work, BUT, if you stop using it, the incontinence seems to come back, temporarily twice as bad, like the urine that you did not pass whilst on the med, was just being stored somewhere, waiting to come out. I stopped using it because, if I remember rightly, it gave me a headache (maybe dehydration) and I did not want to be on it all the time, and certainly did not appreciate the nuisance of the let down after stopping its' use.

This is a prescription med, and, at least here in Australia it is quite expensive, and I got a couple of packs from the Anti Aging website, even with freight it was not as costly:--

<http://www.antiaging-systems.com/52-desmopressin>

I asked my neurologist and he said it was worth trying, but I did not have as severe a problem as you.

Archived