Stroke and Winter

I'm entering my first winter since my stroke. As the weather turns colder I'm feeling very cold. Before the stroke I was almost never cold in the winter. I rarely wore a hat and gloves outside unless the temperature was colder than 0 degrees Fahrenheit. This year, I've been wearing gloves whenever it gets below 50 degrees and I'm still cold. I studied the reports from my MRI and searched the internet. Based on what I learned, I'm thinking it may be possible that my brain is having trouble regulating my body temperature.

I can ask my neurologist at my next appointment (next Spring) what she thinks but winter will be over. I'm not sure the answer really matters to me. I think I'll need to get some more sweaters.

Has anyone else noticed a increased sensitivity to cold weather after a stroke?

My internal thermostat has been messed up since my stroke also, it's the heat that bothers me however. (I live in Vermont, so it's a good thing that it's not the cold!)

Susan :cold:

hi dave, yes my temperature gauge is all messed up since my stroke. i get very hot or cold, the cold bothers me the most. i moved last year from az where i had lived for over 30 years, so i always needed the ac on. now i moved back home to tx, and it does get cold here, last year, i was cold all of the time, if i went out, i really needed to be bundled up, the tone really increased in my affected arm and leg. this year i'm going to wear my knee high socks again,maybe as gloves too. stylish no, but whatever it takes to keep me warm the tone can get to be very painful. so whatever you do stay warm and covered up.

Hello Dave,

With me it's all the time my left leg is cold. I can't feel it so my wife does and lets me know. Just yesterday my health care worker said hey, your legs sure are cold. Most of the time I don't notice unless my nose is running. I think it's so common to feel the cold after all our brain is not connected to nerves and muscles in some cases. Some more than other perhaps!

Fred!

Dave: like you I have a high tolerance of Cold & HATE being hot think I'm having more trouble with heat intolerance than before. the cold doesn't chill me - if it did I would shiver a bit back to normal temp - recover very quickly IF I ever get cold Although in Sub zero weather my exposed hand will painfully sting. def worse with heat hate winter because of furnace & car heat controlled by mty always cold husband - because of this I way underdress for winter both indoor & out.

Susan

Dave, What I've noticed about me is not so much a sensitivity as an inability to adjust. What I mean by that is if I get cold, my lt, affected side, is much harder to warm up than my rt. The same with heat- if my lt gets hot, it will not cool off as quickly as my rt. My solution is to stay indoors if I can, and if it's very warm or cold outside. Becky

Dave, I live in Canada where winters are notoriously COLD. Yes since the stroke I dread winter. Its normal for us to be colder because of circulation problems we cant get warmed up like before. We cant move around to warm up so we are sitting ducks for the cold. Good idea to get more sweaters, you will need them. Good luck, stay warm,

mc

Dave: look at the damage that was done to your body during the stroke. One full side of your body has decreased circulation. Without the proper blood flow; the heart and brain will concentrate the blood flow to the "vital" areas: heart, lungs, mostly anything in the abdomen. What does this do to your poor arm and leg? Plus you are not moving as efficiently, again delayed or not enough blood flow.

My Bruce was born in Vermont to farmers. He spent his early years in his carriage in the cold, while Mom and Dad worked the farm. One time I remember well was going to a gallery opening. It was 3 degrees below zero that night. Bruce got to the car in his undershirt and pants. Rest of his night wear and his coat across his arm. The driver was amazed. As Bruce said to him, its not like I want to hang out in this dressed like this, but a quick walk to the car was refreshing after the stuffiness of the hotel. LOL

We have a down comforter that has a light and a heavy side. Guess who has the heavy side now? Get to a local dollar or discount store and pick up some flannel PJs. Bruce is not a "plaid" man, but my sister was able to find some nice quiet sets for him. He wears a flannel shirt over a long sleeve Tee every day and our heat is set at 68 degrees. I budgeted for extra oil just for that reason. It is more dangerous for him not to be able to feel the arm-hand, leg-foot being cold or numb than not. A Down vest may do the trick. Keep the trunk warm so the body will move more blood to the arm=leg. And you must move. Even if just standing and sitting for 10 minutes or marching in place. Wool sox will help, but they must fit into your walking shoes. If no go, stick with natural fabrics. Debbie

Guest furiawill

hi dave, yes my temperature gauge is all messed up since my stroke. i get very hot or cold, the cold bothers me the most. i moved last year from az where i had lived for over 30 years, so i always needed the ac on. now i moved back home to tx, and it does get cold here, last year, i was cold all of the time, if i went out, i really needed to be bundled up, the tone really increased in my affected arm and leg. this year i'm going to wear my knee high socks again,maybe as gloves too. stylish no, but whatever it takes to keep me warm the tone can get to be very painful. so whatever you do stay warm and covered up.

Dave,

since the thermostat of the body is the thyroid gland, I would have that checked first. Mine is messed up and I am on meds for it. Now, I hardly ever get cold. Hope this helps. Never Give Up!

-Will

Wow reading these posts make me worry with winter coming on! I am a newbie to all of this as I had my strokes this year in May. I live in northern Minnesota where it gets really cold. I hate the cold. This summer I got to hot and always had to have the air conditioning on. I was already not looking forward to this winter but now I think I will freeze to death brrrcold.gif

I'm entering my first winter since my stroke. As the weather turns colder I'm feeling very cold. Before the stroke I was almost never cold in the winter. I rarely wore a hat and gloves outside unless the temperature was colder than 0 degrees Fahrenheit. This year, I've been wearing gloves whenever it gets below 50 degrees and I'm still cold. I studied the reports from my MRI and searched the internet. Based on what I learned, I'm thinking it may be possible that my brain is having trouble regulating my body temperature.

I can ask my neurologist at my next appointment (next Spring) what she thinks but winter will be over. I'm not sure the answer really matters to me. I think I'll need to get some more sweaters.

Has anyone else noticed a increased sensitivity to cold weather after a stroke?

I have been told that if you are hemiplegic the effected side gets less circulation and that blood thinners have an effect also so buy extra sweaters

Thanks for all of the good advise. When I got on the train to come home from work earlier this week I was shivering so bad I think people though I was having a seisure. I got my own seat that day :)

Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes I have noticed since my second stroke last year that my leggs feel colder now. That may be do to the fact that I'm parlized from the waist down now. With my frist stroke I felt that my right arm was cold too. So I can relate to your question! Heat dose effect me too but I tollerate that a little bit better!

Bruce Schwentker

• 4 weeks later...

Since it turned cold I feel like a 2 X 4 is in place of my knee and shoulder - just hurts like the devil to move

them - when in the heat of our record summer I took my walks early in the morning when it was in the 70's and 80's and got along great - I am moving but much more slowly but you just cannot quit moving - to do so will

set back some of the advances in your recovery - remember that recovery is not a streight line moving up -

there are ups and downs - what you could do yesterday is not necessiarly what you can do today - what you

do tomorrow depends on so much and on your drive to get better - I have no illusions that I will be back to what

I was but I am determined and driven to get a whole lot better - to get there I have to do the therapy everyday -

its difficult and sometimes can hurt - I just have to do it to make a good life for me and my wife

dwight

Hi Dave: Like the others, my right affected side is colder than my left. The Dr. said it isn't circulation, and I don't have anything except motor deficits from stroke, so I've surmised it must be the sharply reduced activity on my right--I can't use my arm or hand at all. My foot is cold, too, although I have complete sensation.

I've just learned to cope with it--one of the side effects of stroke! I don't let it affect my determination to recover; last winter I only missed two days of walking outside despite the worst snowstorm NYC has seen in a long time. All the best, Henry

Hi Dave: Like the others, my right affected side is colder than my left. The Dr. said it isn't circulation, and I don't have anything except motor deficits from stroke, so I've surmised it must be the sharply reduced activity on my right--I can't use my arm or hand at all. My foot is cold, too, although I have complete sensation.

I've just learned to cope with it--one of the side effects of stroke! I don't let it affect my determination to recover; last winter I only missed two days of walking outside despite the worst snowstorm NYC has seen in a long time. All the best, Henry

hi Dave, yes indeed i think its safe to say you are not alone in this ;) my left side was affected and once it gets cold can take hours to warm up, the heat does not bother me as much as the cold, wrap up well and good luck :) Jade

Like Susan, I'm far more sensitive to heat than cold.

Since my feet have little feeling, they never complain. My hands do hate very cold air however.

There are so many serious indignities involved with our losses, temperature has not landed very high on my complaint list.

And yes................................get more sweaters, or wear your long underwear . :giggle:

• 1 month later...

my experience with last winter was fear of the snow and ice, of falling. this year i stay inside. I used to get cold feet but now i don't. I stay pretty warm cause i alsways wear a baseball cap and heavy, quilted shirt. but i find I hate winter, especially the light. leaves me feeling depressed. as the days get longer i feel better but without tranks and ant-depressants i'm in the pits. but when it comes to cold i walk around inside using two canes. also a scarf helps especially with muscle aches from starting on an elliptical trainer. I've noticed that my right hand is weaker lately, probably from not swimming. i mean to join the Y...someday. rather swim in the sea. I'm going to start trying to ride a bike, or a trike, or a recumbent bike. any advice? but right now I've got to get myself outside instead of in front of the tv. john farrell

Hi John,

I think you should join the Y. Someday never comes. If you enjoy swimming you should get away from the TV and into the pool. The Y has bikes too. At our YMCA all of the staff are very helpful. The Y has a great community feel. You can make some new friends too.

So far this winter has not been too bad. Today it was 43 degrees Fahrenheit. Not bad for January in Minneapolis. The daylight increases each day. I don't do well either when I don't get enough daylight. I can tell Spring is not too far away!

Dave

• 2 months later...

Ironically, since the stroke, I do not feel the cold as severely as I used to. Which is a great boon to my partner as I am stuck at home all day, and would have the heater on, instead of being at a job and using the employer's climate control.

I assumed that it was because I gained 3 stone after the stroke, but, I had the stroke when I was 38, and am now 54, so it may well be menopause :(

Regardless, I often take a long time to figure out what to wear for the day, because i have NO PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE surviving a 28degC day as a person who does not feel the cold. Unfortunately my feet and hands are still regularly cold, presumably because I am not active, but more like my circulation does not work properly (but then, it never did)

I'm the exact opposite from what you are experiencing, maree. Since the stroke, I'm cold all the time. I can't get warm. Incidentally, I have several afghans within my good arm's reach. Thankfully, at least in the States, we've had unusually warm weather. I like being warm now. I sit out on my deck in the sun whenever I can. Recently, I'm always hot. Go figure!

By the way, how much is 3 stone?

Archived