dissapointed in family

grim

i dont know maybe its just stroke depression but im very disappointed in my family

wo going into it to much my family of course offered if we needed any help just ask

this stroke totally financially wiped us out

my poor wife gets 2-3 hours of sleep a day works full time and has to do all my driving to therapy, take care of me, etc

when asked what my family could do my wife didnt want to be needy but simply asked that my sisters and brother come to see me.

did they, nope they said that was to easy

then just a few months out of the hospital my therapy dog got off his tieout and scratched a neighbor kid by jumping on him like dogs do

the thing is weve been asking for help with a fence for ages

now the neighbor is threatening to sue if we dont get a fence, weve already had to declare bankruptcy because of the stroke, i was told no help on the fence again

it got back to my family im dissapointed idk i guess depressed, now since my family wont help with a fence were more than likely gonna be forced out of our house

'btw during this time same sister and brother in law who cant help are putting 2 custom bars in their basement which my dad and others are helping on

so in my eyes 2 custom bars are more important than me and my family staying in our house

anyways instead of trying to help me, see why im down etc, 1 sister out of 5 basically attacked me trying to point out how they helped

lets see how they helped, they visited me in the hospital, i dont remember how many times but when i was in rehab for 2 months it was 2-3 times

she also brought up money/gift certificates that were given to me during my Birthday in the hospital and dont even add up to $100

then she also brought up about $20 in groceries etc that nobody wanted

and 1 time a few came up AFTER my wife said something, in which she had to clean on minutes notice on no sleep for them, causing more work for her so they could do a few trivial things

i dont mean to sound greedy but to me that was a soup kitchen run so they could slap themselves on the back

i do appreciate anything done, but to me im more hurt that coming to VISIT me was to easy, then because they wouldnt even visit me my wife gave up on asking them for anything, then as a last chance that my family would be there for me to help me stay in our house i asked them for a favor and was told no

my sisters and brother and even my dad are far from hurting financially, but it seams theyd rather brag about how good their doing, and think roughly $200 worth of stuff is a huge "help" after my life as i knew it ended in every imaginable way known

the absolute worst to me is there will basically be no xmas for my 12 years old son this year, my family has to know this, i directly stated it to my sister who mailed me what more do i want, she bypassed it, didnt say a word, and told me to stop being angry at the world.

i was actually looking forward to xmas this year and being with my brothers and sisters, not anymore i wont be going,

Hey, I'm sorry to read you had/have relative problems and no help involved. I can imagine the wife has to be and trying to work too! I was just the opposite situation. My wife didn't need ANY HELP and she expressed that to my sister who eventually moved to my town. She and her daughter moved here and had to live with us until they found a place to live. They got to see first hand that my wife had everything under control.

My wife had to quit her job for nearly two years taking me to all my appointments, loading/unloading that wheelchair in and out the SUV by herself. I had daily visits to outpatient therapy where I learned to walk and climb stairs. I slept downstairs in a hospital bed for a short while and everything worked out just find.

I really don't know how we made it but we did and right today I feel I owe her my life. We've been married for nearly 14 years now and this is it for both of us and my 4th marriage. Seems like I've been married all my life since it's been 51 years this year. You never know when you have to uphold those marriage vows like sickness and health, richer or poorer! So now it's 'till death do us part for sure. Oh, she was the one to come home and find me passed out from a brain bleed stroke and got me to the hospital just in time, WOW! Or I wouldn't be here now.

Thank God I made it and I worked on my scooter for three years after she returned to work. I feel so blessed and it was just me and her with God watching over us. :happydance: :big_grin: We are still in the struggle mode but I had help putting up lights outside yesterday and a tree from many years ago. We use it each year like it's brand new.

Fred!

if we werent destroyed financially and my wife could quit her job she would

i was self employed which was nice until i got sick for 3 years and then stroked :/

i dont know maybe its just stroke depression but im very disappointed in my family

wo going into it to much my family of course offered if we needed any help just ask

my poor wife gets 2-3 hours of sleep a day works full time and has to do all my driving to therapy, take care of me, etc

when asked what my family could do my wife didnt want to be needy but simply asked that my sisters and brother come to see me.

then just a few months out of the hospital my therapy dog got off his tieout and scratched a neighbor kid by jumping on him like dogs do

now the neighbor is threatening to sue if we dont get a fence, weve already had to declare bankruptcy because of the stroke, i was told no help on the fence again

it got back to my family im dissapointed idk i guess depressed, now since my family wont help with a fence were more than likely gonna be forced out of our house

'btw during this time same sister and brother in law who cant help are putting 2 custom bars in their basement which my dad and others are helping on

so in my eyes 2 custom bars are more important than me and my family staying in our house

anyways instead of trying to help me, see why im down etc, 1 sister out of 5 basically attacked me trying to point out how they helped

lets see how they helped, they visited me in the hospital, i dont remember how many times but when i was in rehab for 2 months it was 2-3 times

she also brought up money/gift certificates that were given to me during my Birthday in the hospital and dont even add up to $100

and 1 time a few came up AFTER my wife said something, in which she had to clean on minutes notice on no sleep for them, causing more work for her so they could do a few trivial things

i dont mean to sound greedy but to me that was a soup kitchen run so they could slap themselves on the back

i do appreciate anything done, but to me im more hurt that coming to VISIT me was to easy, then because they wouldnt even visit me my wife gave up on asking them for anything, then as a last chance that my family would be there for me to help me stay in our house i asked them for a favor and was told no

my sisters and brother and even my dad are far from hurting financially, but it seams theyd rather brag about how good their doing, and think roughly $200 worth of stuff is a huge "help" after my life as i knew it ended in every imaginable way known

the absolute worst to me is there will basically be no xmas for my 12 years old son this year, my family has to know this, i directly stated it to my sister who mailed me what more do i want, she bypassed it, didnt say a word, and told me to stop being angry at the world.

i was actually looking forward to xmas this year and being with my brothers and sisters, not anymore i wont be going,

I'm so sorry your family does not help out, I am the wife of a stroke survivor as of 03-12-2011 I was promised all the help in the world.. HAHAHA no one ever came. I did have some friends who have helped some... but so much had to be done... so far this stroke has cost 80,000 dollars in housing changes and out fo pocket.... doing the best we can to hold on... But I certainley understand your frusteration at family.... Dans mom since --- march has come a grand total of 8 times ... his brother who is a carpenter never came at all after dan was out of hospital... but boy pie in the sky for promises.... dan has 6 siblings i hear from them basically never. me and our 15 yoa daughter care for dan except for a caregiver who cares for dan while i work till the daughter gets off the bus.... and i'm trying to hold on to my job but my husbands depression gets into me sometimes and makes it way more difficult...... I know 1st hand how much your wife must love you. her devotion to you is testimony to your love, that is far more than just physical. Just treat your wife good ,do all you can to help her help you. Together you can do it -- and smile we wives live for that smile.... nancy

your husband is lucky he has you and your daughter

if it wasnt for my wife and son i was told id be in a nursing home

pie in the sky about sums it up

its pretty obvious many have no idea what a stroke does, and thinks because you are home from the hospital you are aok

I'm in a similar situation as you so I understand what you're feeling.

It's too easy?

Grim the truth is, and I may be unpopular for saying this but some people are unthoughtful, inconsiderate jerks and unfortunately, they have to be someone's relatives.

It does hurt, even for reasons I can't name, but don't let it defeat you. Please try these suggestions.

Call the local chapter of the Jaycees. Also Department of Social Services knows the agencies locally that provide a bit of Christmas cheer for families in situations such as yours.

Call your local high school and talk to the "shop" teacher. Often they are looking for projects such as your fence to help teach 11 and 12 grade shop students. Your job may be just small enough to appeal to them.

Let us know how it goes and good luck!

Jamie

thanks for the tips!

yep visiting me felt to easy to them and like they werent doing anything, so they chose to do nothing i guess :p

I was room mate with an RN who did nothing for me including draw insulin for me when my arm was still paralyzed. Refused to go outside the house with me unless she was in full nurse uniform...my situation was all about how it made her look and boosting her self image. It's too easy? for what? to make them look like heroes? Survivors and caregivers alike, I have found, don't need heroes but its amazing what we can do with just a friend, some encouragement and half a chance.

Go get 'em Tiger! You can do it!

Jamie

I was caregiver to my husband Ray for twelve years and I gave up work to look after him. I mostly did it all by myself 24 hours a day. Surprise, surprise, our family, his siblings, my sister, did not want to help. But my sister did come good and she and my BIL did some odd jobs for us so I am still indebtd to them for that.

I have always been a helping hand person so I suppose that is why I am cyncial about all this. You really do get what you give so if you have been a helping hand person eventually another helping hand person helps you. The strong are never looked after by the ones they have helped, life doesn't seem to work like that.

Use the charities and the helping hand organisations. Ring your own church if you have been going to one or ring the local Salvation Army and tell them about your son and his situation, they often know just what a boy that age would need. He deserves whatever he has need of if he is helping your wife out with your care.

Don't get despondent, be glad you are still living and breathing. I just put my husband into full-time care as stroke number six left him unable to weightbear or walk and that meant he was too high care for me to look after now. It is a lonely life for both of us, separated by illness after 43 yars of married life together.

I know "counting your blessings" seem a trite expression but being home with your family, people who love you as you are, is one of them.

Sue.

I am so sorry to hear your story, can you check with the state for help, thats what its for people down on luck. Local church can help also. You may not feel like it now but you are lucky to be here with your family. I told God to let me have my husband and I would give up everything I had. I was bless and happy to have him. Yes its alot of work for me and the money out of our saving. But I dont care and I know your wife feels the same. Please get us posted and God Bless

thats the problem places we have talked to refer to my family should be my support system

me and my wife were actually getting divorced, however with my strokes she opted to care for me, while my family would have left me rot

i feel horrible for my wife, all these promises of help, and nothing

Grim: I knew Sue would give you some great advice, but one other is to reach out also to the therapy dog organization. They may have some suggestions. Other than that your church, Lion's Club, local Firefighters and Police Benevolent Associations, Habitat for Humanity.

Don't dwell on what should be, only what is reality. For Christmas, register with Toys for Tots and again the local Fire and Police, Scouting groups, local high school.

I watched Bruce in the Grocery store last week pick out treats for platters for people I know will not show up. We will serve to our dear Carl, caregivers and the neighbors as they stop in. Yes it broke my heart but I will not take any of his enthusiasm away. We will have a warm and lovely holiday regardless. Debbie

i have to update this thread

today my wife and i received a card from the folks where i get my pt and used to get my ot

the card filled with gift certificates made me literally break down and cry, something i really havent been able to do since the stroke but 1 other time

here are people of no relation to me helping me and my family out

i dont know how much they gave etc, could really care less it is simply the point

this has made my day, a gift certificate to walmart will be used to bring some cheer to my son

thankyou

Sorry to hear about all your problems, Grim. I suggest you contact Visiting Nurse Service and ask for help. Usually they send a nurse to do an initial assessment, then recommend f/u with a therapist, social worker, or other professional who might be able to help. VNS was a big help to me when I first came home from rehab. Don't give up without a fight! All the best, Henry

I am truly sorry for what you're family has put you guys through. More than not, most people just don't want to get involved for they feel that they will always be roped into having to help. It sounds good on paper to extend a helping hand. I am just so thankful you have a wonderful wife who has stuck by your side

Grim: and now I am crying! What a wonderful gift and thank you so much for sharing. There are wonderful people out there. I am amazed every day at the thoughtfulness and consideration given to Bruce and I from complete strangers. There was a gentleman yesterday at Rehab who insisted on taking the WC out of the truck for me. He had to be 75, if a day and all I could think of was great, now I am going to give this wonderful man a heart attack!

Now that you have discovered humanity from strangers, you will progress to forgiving and accepting what family and friends can not do,for whatever reason, and being able to reach out and accept help from those who truly want to help=and they are out there.

You and your family continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Things will work out, just reach out honey. Debbie

grim --- you are not alone , I wrote to you yesterday about my daughter and I being the ones in the same situation......Obviously another higher power is in control, cause after you reached out you got that wonderful gift from your PT and OT dept. Just as I got to experience a "break" in my husbands depression... I reached out looking for help and the mere act of reaching out brought the answer to our prayer... For you it was needing to know someone cared.. Well look at the responses you have gotten -- you and your family are cared about sight unseen... For us -dans depression has eased abit "YAH!!!!" We are all part of a greater plan ( depending on your religious affiliation ) but certainly none of us spontaneously appeared. Every one of us matter.. Gosh I dont mean to be preaching... I just want you to know you are cared about, you are obviously loved by your wife and child. The fact you two were contemplating divorce prior to stroke does not matter anymore - she made her choice- you are her choice.... Nobody has a storebook marriage - if they say they do I can promise they are fooling themselves.. We all are doing the very best we can with what we got. And all any of us have is , ONE DAY AT A TIME. Nobody has more than that. Not me, not my husband, not the president. All we have is right here, right now.

What each of us do with that time and how we choose to look at it is up to each one of us. Take a lesson from each day, what ever lesson you can find a new reading ,a new online friend. The way it was desribed to me is ... if you live from event to event in each of our lives. Like christmas, easter the fourth, our birthday, a trip,thanksgiving, ect ... If your lock your self into looking forward to and living for those events in our lives then we really only live those days... the rest of the time is spent in anticipation of those days. So by looking for something good in each day we live each day.. It don't have to be a big "something" it can be a beautiful sunset. your dog licking you, or a good game of fetch. A good book. Or a smile from that great wife of yours. Just look for the good and hopefully you will find it.......If you can do this and move beyond the family who fails you ( and believe me I know about failing family) then you will become a great person with much insight to share and help others..... You can speak from true intimate experience of pain and rejection and rising above.. And man then you can really help others.... Cause you have been there. And advise can only come from and truley be honored by others if it comes from a person who has been there... God love and I'm gonna get off the soap box... Merry Christmas I sure hope you are smiled upon. ( you have been today for sure by Me ) Nancy

Yes, count me as a cheerleader too :Clap-Hands: You are on struggle street right now but be thankful for every small gift that comes your way, enjoy each sunny day, find the good in those around you and you will see life opening up again before you.

I am so glad someone saw your need and gave you gift vouchers that may be small in amount but give you hope back and a belief in the godness of those around you. You pick up on that hope and find an attitude of gratitude and the lights in your life will slowly come back on.

Show real appreciation for your wife and son. Forget those who are gone from your life and welcome in those who have been where you have and survived. There are good people on this site, they will encourage and support you. I am glad you found us when you did.

Sue.

thats all i / we really needed was support show of caring etc, in which my ot / pt has been great. i see this board is great for it as well thank you :)

Grim we all here walk the same road. At one time or another. Nice to walk with ya. Bob

The help we have received to date is from our church. God bless each one of those who contributed to that. In addition to my strokes we found out a year ago my husband had metastasic cancer of the pancreas. He is in Hospice. Could our families help yes do they only with words or the ride here or there.. I love them anyway God is here for us Karen

The help we have received to date is from our church. God bless each one of those who contributed to that. In addition to my strokes we found out a year ago my husband had metastasic cancer of the pancreas. He is in Hospice. Could our families help yes do they only with words or the ride here or there.. I love them anyway God is here for us Karen

I've found a little information about that type of cancer which you may or may not find useful.

A particular research group in Texas thinks that they may have found something that will cure that type of cancer, but their method has one big problem: A significant risk of it causing some other type of cancer (such as leukemia) around 10 years later.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00968604?term=gene+therapy&cond=pancreatic+cancer&state1=NA%3AUS%3ATX&rank=4

If you find it reasonable to spend about a month in Texas, you may want to ask his doctors to check if he has the type of pancreatic cancer they want to test against.

Something on that treatment method:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2007/dec/19/cancer.medicalresearch

If you think that this is unsuitable, here are a few more clinical trials you may be interested in:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00726037?term=pancreatic+cancer&recr=Open&rank=8

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00761345?term=pancreatic+cancer&recr=Open&rank=12

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00968175?term=pancreatic+cancer&recr=Open&state1=NA%3AUS%3AAL&rank=1

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01064622?term=pancreatic+cancer&recr=Open&rank=11

A neighbor appeared to need such information months ago, or I would not have it handy. Not in time for her, though.

The FRDA usually requires clinical trials in the US to be free except for travel expenses getting there and back.

Archived