Toe tone

i was wondering if anyone has delt with this and if so anything that helps it?

basically my big toe on the right side curls up something fierce, when this happens walking is very hard and the tone travels up my entire leg,

i have no control over this, but when its not happening i can move my toes slightly

ive noticed also it appears to be brought on more by being nervous etc as when im out of the house i cant walk near as good as i can at home

so far im on baclofen which has helped some but the toe persists, sometimes i wish i could cut the thing off

I'd have to say it's normal for most survivors. Mine is the left toe, man it even looks worse than a regular toe should. Have you noticed anytime lately that when bare foot the big toe seems to grip the floor? Not only that but it turns in a lot. Put them side by side, one is straight out the other one is turned almost 45 degree toward your little toe.

The bad part is you can hardly feel it hurt or hurting at any time but you can in your ankle most of the time! I take my last pain pill about 10pm so I'm used to not feeling any pain at night either. I can't help you on this one. :rolleyes:

Fred!

Grim, Dont cut it off, you need your toes for balance. You could ask your doctor for a muscle relaxant, You mentioned Baclofen, I dont know what that is. I know its anoying, you mention it happens when you are tense. If you can, find a chair and relax when that happens. All the best to you,

mc

• 8 months later...

Yes, all of my toes curl under. Especially when I am doing something. I guess concentration causes all muscles to activate. Same happens when I am nervous or cold. This is due to spasticity. I am taking oral baclofen, and I get Botox injections in my foot and leg to relax those muscles. Weight bearing like standing on one foot for a couple minutes at a time, seems to help as well. Massage those toes and move them up and down gently while you are sitting watching tv. Don't walk around barefoot. At least wear socks or shoes while indoors. Botox has been a great thing for me!

I'm looking into getting a Baclofen pump. We'll see how that goes.

• 5 weeks later...

im wondering if botox might be for me. the toe continues to be a huge problem

Grimm, Mike has had that problem also so the doctor uped his Baclofen to twice a day and it has seemed to help. However if we are going somewhere for the day and if he takes it before we go his muscles seem to get really weak in a very short time so he has to skip it for those times. How much do you take? Maybe you need a stronger dose. Just a thought.

Grim,

I posted a comment right after you posted but I thought of something else that happens in my case! I have a bad back and operation in Vietnam from gun shot so it missed my spinal cord by a quarter inch or less! A little closer I would have been paralysed for life! So now I have to get injections and they travel to my feet making the left foot, toes and ankle feel so much better once every three months at the pain clinic!!

So even if you can get started on pain injections that may help in your case, so ask your doctor!! I think I know how you must be feeling when it is hurting like crazy!!

neuroligist told me today i have to much function for botox

My husband, Bob, has this also. When he is laying or sitting they look normal, but as soon as he stands to walk, they all clench, with the big toe being the worst. It clenches till the middle knuckle is pointing straight up. He takes baclofen 3x daily. He doesn't complain of it hurting though, don't know why not, as he has no numbness.

My husband's toes also curl, but the AFO that he uses right now helps to prevent it (there's a picture of the AFO he uses on my blog, if you're interested: http://www.strokexyz.com/new-look-new-afo/). I've also heard that toe crests help, though Mike has never used one, so not sure how accurate that is. They're pretty cheap (just google "toe crest" and you can find one on Amazon for a few dollars), so it might be worth a try.

• 2 months later...

too much function for a botox?I have a lot of movement too and my doctor doesn't give me any problems.he gave me some botox for my toes too and its better .Cheaper option is a toe crest as suggested above.- $5 on amazon and I don't bend my toes as much.I also got the afo -and almost walking 95% ok.It really makes a difference.

i was wondering if anyone has delt with this and if so anything that helps it?

basically my big toe on the right side curls up something fierce, when this happens walking is very hard and the tone travels up my entire leg,

i have no control over this, but when its not happening i can move my toes slightly

ive noticed also it appears to be brought on more by being nervous etc as when im out of the house i cant walk near as good as i can at home

so far im on baclofen which has helped some but the toe persists, sometimes i wish i could cut the thing off

Dont do that, you need it for balance. It happens to me quite often. When it does, I sit and try to relax for a few minutes, when the tone lessens, I try again. For me relaxing helps. good luck

mc

Grim, My mother, who had a stroke over 30 yrs. ago. had the same problem. Her orthopedist cut the muscles in her toes so that her toes couldn't curl no matter how bad the tone got. This sounds extreme, and it was, but it was better than walking on the tops of her toes, she reported. Maybe see an orthopedst for suggestions. Might help. Becky

Archived