Video games/Wii for stroke recovery?

Hi. Just want to know if any of you have use video games or Wii games to help with hand/arm function? I read something on line about a game called Circus Challenge but I think it may still be in the developing/testing stage. Have any of you heard anything about it? Just trying to come up with some fun ways to do hand/arm exercises with my mom.

Thanks,

Kathleen

Yes, my low vision doctor told me about some studies that showed playing video games could possibly help in so many ways to help stimulate the brain. Maybe that’s why our kids are so smart. LOL So go for it. I play it sometimes myself. My favorite is table tennis, really keeps my eyes working.

Pam

Jerrolyn: Like Ruth, both Bruce's Outpatient and our facility uses it extensively. I have not done it with Bruce, but am considering it, with the winter coming up, depending on Bruce's use of his new Nook. But, please, if you decide to try it, let us know how it goes. I will be very interested. Debbie

I exercise with WII...I do Balance board, can use walker for stability...can bowl from chair or standing, tennis etc...makes exercise fun plus keeps up with your stats.

I use WII Balance Board to help with balance issues...fun games you can play all day and a real challenge. One game you flap your arms like a bird and fly from island to island...you have to lean to go left or right, up or back...entertaining and real conversation piece!

The physical therapist that came to my home for my therapy right after I was released from inpatient rehab sometimes brought the WII with a tennis game. We tried it a couple of times but I HATED it. Don't know if it was because I stunk at it or because I never was one to play video games. When I saw him coming in with that thing I groaned and moaned and finally he quit bringing it. LOL I am sure it IS very good therapy in many different ways though. And I might even like it better now that my arm has improved and I probably would be able to actually hit the ball instead of swinging and missing every time. LOL

I play Xbox. 2-3 hours a day on average. I played before my most recent stroke but not as much. The Neuro said it would be beneficial in helping the brain make those new connections. While I am sure she will not want to start with call of duty, the xbox kinnect games where helpful for me at the begining. I found a game called Deepak Chopra's Leela to be very helpful first with my left hand and eventually with my "balance." The game has a wonderful calming soundtrack and the images are beautiful. I also found it to be very helpful in breaking negative thought patterns. I found the game new on Amazon for $16! I think this game was one of the best post stroke tools I purchased! (minus the cane. :-))

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I to have Wii fitness and other games. They help me with balance as well as coordination. I've seen them as well in rehab. Also the X-box has some games and stuff that just read your body without a controller. Pretty neat

Archived