I'm at the end of rope..

Carmenq

I'm a stroke survivor, i've been fired from my job, I've been unemployed for 6 months and after everything I have tried to do, to find another job, my depression is getting worse, and I have no idea what to do, what to live for. I'm sick of going on interviews and not getting the job, and I know there is a lot of people that is unemployed, but that is why this is so hard, I know because i have to disclose my stroke and deficits, I can't get hired over healthy, normal people that are applied for job.

Can you do some volunteer work? Or go through a temporary agency? These methods have worked for friends of mine, once they see you can do the job well, it turns into a job offer.

have you tried the advocacy groups in your area ??? there are disability advocacy groups who can help you get a job... utalize them....many places like Mc Donalds or Walmart do hire disabled people.. if you do well they will move you into a more appropriate position..

1. Hi Carmen,

Having had a stroke at such a young age sucks, I was 36 when I had mine, was able to go on disability through work straight away, and my husband was working. My boss told me that my position was there when I wanted it, but there was no way I could return to work; I couldn't even drive.

It would be worthwhile to check on retraining and placement programs that your state may offer Volunteering is an option, but that doesn't bring in a paycheck, and if that's what you need, the retraining program might be a place to go.

I see that your stroke was in 2010, try applying for SSDI. Get yourself an advocate or a disability attorney to help. They, Social Security Disability, sent me to one of their Neurologists to be evaluated. I was in such bad shape he told them to leave me alone.

Whatever you decide to do, PLEASE don't give up! If you need to vent - anything - you can do it here. Send me a private message if you don't want to be public.

Susan :console:

Carmen, Since I moved around a fair amount of times as an adult, I've had to interview alot. And, you're right, it can get depressing. Try your local vocational rehabilitaton office. That's what they do- try to match your skills with an employer's needs, or retrain you if necessary. DON'T give up! Becky

Try to be strength based about your stroke when they ask you about your stroke, or you disclose; Say how it has helped you and if you can’t think of a way it has helped you think of this... you might be just like me a lot better at expressing my needs. Asking and receiving help when you need. This is positive in the work force because it helps get work done more efficiently; delegate when I need to, plan ahead and be more organized and so much more. Think about it and sell yourself. You are a survivor baby! Not a lot of people can say that. whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.

The depression is hard, i can relate. you are so strong to be able to identify what triggers your depression.

We all have basic needs to meet; social, physical, intellectual, creative, emotional, and spiritual. Try to meet one of those needs to feel more purpose in life.

I would say enjoy this time off and try to focus on volunteering to get back into the groove. take a class or just focus on you. That should be enough.. your body and mind deserve some attention and its okay to take this time. if you are needing resources for financial assistance don’t be afraid to apply for things. i had to go on food stamps and i felt ashamed in some way and proud that i had paid taxes all this time and now that i need it help was there for me.

Good luck Carmen

Carmen....Take a deep breath first and foremost .

I can't say anything that hasn't been said, Susan pretty much covered it. You are right about times being hard. Try with the SSDI or help from your local agency dealing with disabilities.

Is it far about hiring a "well' person? No But I'm happy you are working. I cant't and don't miss it :)

I agree with Becky. Vocational Rehabilitation is supposed to place you in a job, make sure you have any accommodations you need, and help you get back and forth to work. You should definitely check it out. You don't have to do this job search on your own. I interned with the federal government doing a program specifically for recruiting college students with disabilities. Many government agencies try to increase their quota of employees with targeted disabilities. Many companies also receive a tax break for hiring people with disabilities. See being disabled isn't so bad.

Also don't blame your stroke on the reason you can't get a job. The market is tough but the economy is slowly getting better. Still there are a lot of people applying for a little bit of jobs. There are many reasons you have not been hired yet so don't blame your disabilities. Keep your head up and make an appointment with Vocational Rehab. Its free and funded through the state so use it! You are not in this alone.

Carmen, keep your head up, you are strong,and brave, look at what you have been throught. Lots of good people are here and please, come to this site,when you are down and need to get things off your chest. Good luck, dont give up.

Guest Sracarmel

All goodoints. before my 2 Stokes I was an Executive Recruiter and still am. To reiterate, Volunteering is a wonderful way to go. It also will help you with your self asteem, which maybe holding you back with Employers! Make sure your Résumé is updated, and it will Elaine your time off. As said, cite the positives you have now and whatyouhave learned fromyourstroke. Finally, dress accordingly, and be clean andyromed. Goodattotude and being motivated will stand out. Peace, love, and GB.

• 4 months later...

Keep pushing forward and don't give up. I love the idea of doing Volunteer work, I had my stroke in 2002, so times were not as hard as they are now. Vocal Rehabilitation is also a great idea. Be confident when you go into those interviews, and show them that you are just as capable as anyone else. It's easy to get depressed, I also got fired one year after I had my stroke from a job, but after I rebooted, and gave it some time, I got right back in the job market, and ended up working for a great company for seven years, till I got burned out. I pray that you are able to find a good job. Keep on pushing!

Before before you think about giving up, is there a way that you can talk to a doctor or speaks the body and suicide prevention. I'm not saying that's the way that you would go , it is a good way to get resources for when you are in a depressed mood

Carmen I feel the exact same way, I went back to my former employer to gett my old job back, I haven't hear from them, I going to try to volunteer some where, I'm also trying to get back into school for photography, I have an ssi application pending, but I may not get benefits unroll July, so like you I'm finally ruined, I was denied state benefits as well, I didn't meet the disability reauirements, even though I'm paralized on my left side and my hand is useless. I'm not even eligible for food stamps. I'm hoping to gets to school, I think it would be beneficial for the boredome of recovery, fingers crossed on financial aid. But vollentering may be a great option in the mean time. Carmen you and I are in the same boat, you can contactme anytime to talk and vent, I just thank god for this site, it proves that we are not alone, good luck and god bless.

Archived