Hand Splint

Bruce is having a hard time with his hard plastic hand splint, especially now that his Botox has worn off. He has appointment for Botox with his Physiatrist in February. These hand splints are made, with Doctor's order, by his OT and they are great. But the velcro just doesn't hold when the Botox wears off.

Knowing we have the appointment coming up, I called his Orthotic pro for advice in case I need a new prescription. I really think that Bruce needs a more sturdy, professionally made splint; with maybe some adjustability for the over-toned days. It is imperative that he wear this overnight and for more than an hour, which is where he is at right now.

Ortho had another suggestion. He, of course, can make a custom splint for Bruce, but wanted me to try an over-the-counter brand he was having good luck with. The company is Len Joy, out of California. Now they do not deal on an individual level, but their Web Site gives you all the choices, good descriptions and then way down at the bottom you can call up the Distributors. The trade name is Comfy Splints - make all types. Two different coverings: Terry cloth or a smooth, non-slip cloth. Most are adjustable to accomodate "bad" or "loose" days.

I have one coming, due here by Friday. I will let you all know how it works out. Debbie

Thanks Debbie, Dan had his custom made as well , and I thought we had all the kinks worked out but Dan toned out of it once..and now it is back in the shop..lol... Gonna check the website out you mention thanks !!!!!!! I love how you share your knowledge, again I keep saying it we are lucky to have a educated , invested person sharing your knowledge...nancyl

Oh no I didn't read your post well enough, Dan had a comfy splint and he toned out of that on a regular basis..... But of course our experience has nothing to do with hours, it was well made .. No complaints there and a good solid product so worth trying...nancyl

I have extreme tone in my hand. always in a fist. Botox didn't seem to do anything for me. feel like I should be wearing a night splint. had on made,but lost it. it was so hard to get on will all that tone. now I have a Terrycloth(with metal inside) one that the OT had me order. I use ot once in awhile,but think I'd be much better off with a custom made one. most nights I wear nothing and know this can't be good. have an OT appt. coming up-will see what they say.

Nancy: Ortho had me get the "Finger Extender" one. Comes with rolls for the fingers. I got both rolls: hard and soft., for $1.00 extra rather have them both here. Also they gave me free shipping - just had a nice Sales Rep. They are guaranteed for a bit, but Ortho said any problems, just bring it to him and he will fit Bruce. So we shall see. Worth a shot.

Bella: unfortunately honey even with the best splint available, you are going to have trouble putting it on yourself. It takes a lot of work for me to open Bruce's fingers and it is so painful for him. Then to just have him take it off an hour later is so discouraging. And that hard plastic can't be comfortable even on good nights. If I let his evening dose of Zanaflex time to kick in, it is easier to get it on him.

Just a suggestion until your OT appointment. Try your other splint. Make an effort to at least try to get it on every night. I know you are tired. A Stroke Survivor's day is long and exhausting, even on those good days. But I ask you do to this because it will pay off regardless of th splint you choose. Manipulation of that poor hand and wrist is important and you need to find some way of being comfortable doing this. Remember my mantra: rote, rote, rote. Most splints go on the same way, so all of this will pay off plus you are exercising the hand. Thinking of you, Debbie

Absolutely worth ashot they are well made and do seem to appear to be comfortable.... And washable fabric... And not to difficult to get on.... It might be the ot chose the wrong one for Dan, his kinda looked in the hand area likes 3 leaf clover where the hand was placed and then the brace that ran down the rest of the arm ...... I am hoping this will work for you, we never know unless we try and just cause something didn't work for us doesnt mean it will not work for you and Bruce.....and ours didn't have finger rolls so I think ours was a different model but it was a comfy.. Dark. Blue Terry like covering ...... I want to hear how it goes cause weare always looking as caregivers for something that might help ur loved ones be just a tad bit more comfortable and safe...Nancy.

Archived