will my hand ever get better?

new to the site. i was just wondering iam only 11 months post stroke i am young only 27 years old been working hard sice stroke who left side was dead i starting to walk better now whit help of cane. im starting to think my hand and arm has hit a wall. i can squeeze but cant open hand. sholder is fine just my wrist and hand im still going to ot but not really seeing any improvement. give it to me straight up am i most likely stuck without my hand? thank youpost-18152-0-07616600-1381091013_thumb.jpg

You want it straight? then the answer is- no one really knows. BUT- you have lots in your favor- in favor of it coming back. You are young- and even more than that- you are willing to work it- and work it hard, not just go to PT/OT. With me it was my right side. My PT at the rehab used to get mad at me when I would describe my "dead leg" or "dead arm". My hand was clenched and I would keep a towel rolled up forcing my hand open when I wasn't trying to use it.

You may have "hit a wall" but that doesn't have to be forever. Keep working it - and all of the affected, and unaffected areas. It can only help. From what I have seen those that don't work it have a less chance or regaining use of the affected areas. Even when you don't think they are moving- keep trying- it was a very long time that I noticed my toes even start to move even tho I tried from the start. The don't move much right now- but- hey- it is a start!

Bottom line- as long as you keep working it- working it hard- there is a chance of it returning.

Just don't give up.

Pat

the straight answer is no one really knows but you. it had a hard time moving my arms but after ot/pt it got better and easier. You're only 11 mos into your recovery. With Stroke, there is no time limit and no FAST speed. just continue what you are doing .

don't get up

The way you see yourself now, isn't the way you'll be tomorrow

BLewis876,

My stroke affected my left side. I slowly regained use of my left arm and hand. It seemed for me to start at shoulder and work to the hand. Keep trying!!! I a right handed so I do most with my right hand. I frequently remind myself to do things with my left hand to keep it working. Like I can easily empty my dishwasher using my right hand, but I force myself to use left hand. Now I can sap my fingers with my left hand!! Just keep working it. I also used a squeeze ball in my left hand especially because it wanted to keep closed. I would keep it in my hand and would squeeze it when I remembered to, something my OT suggested. Keep asking for more OT.

My OT explained that because the muscles are smaller, they take longer to react to commands than the larger leg and body muscles. Just be patient and keep trying is what was told.

my stroke affected my right side , i had to learn to do things with my left hand and work on my right i thought the harder you work on it the sooner it'll return well no but its working just on its on time, from what they explain to me theirs more muscles on your hand then what we think now i'm able to open my hand still gets tire fast but every day something new happens

Welcome B Lewis 876, you are on the best stroke site, here you can meet good people that dont judge you.

Strokes have no respect for age. Take your time, think postive. Babie steps, every day is a new day.

I was 54 years young, when I hit a road block (stroke), my right side, acting like a stranger, would not get with the programe. At first, it took my mind to accept what had happen to me, and it needed work from me to get back. Two years, and lots of tears, beating my self up,but listening to good advise, I walk every day slow and steady without a cane. I have fallen, but I have got up! My knees are cut, but they still look good! LOL

You take care dont give up, you are young, and have your whole life a head of you.

the simple answer is YES your hand will get better. It may not be the way it was before but it can get better. You just have to work at it and dont give up because it can get worse if you give up

I am 7 year post stroke and have asked that question a gazillion times myself. although I don't have full function back yet, I am getting there-I use the saeboflex orthosis daily and the motto of the folks atsaebo is "there's no plateau in sight" I totally agree--its a lot of hard work and repetition but well worth it. talk to your ot about arranging a trial. good luck

After my stroke at 25 myarm was totally rolled up and not moving. After two years of work I can open a water bottle and even drink from it using my "bad" hand. Durring this time I had periods where there was no progress but you have to work trough that. Theese periods can las as long as few months for me but after that I had times where I had a lot of progress. Newr give up. Keep working even if you dont see a progress for days, weeks or even months. Set a goal. Let's say you can say "I will pick this object up" and keep tryin until you can. I dont think I will be able to play piano with my left hand but I set realistic goals and try to achive them.

Don't give up. If you will put in the time your hand will get better. Gl!

Katrina is right, the simple answer is YES! It will get better as long as you don'y just let it curl up and die. It's up to you to keep it moving, do the work, and be sure you don't lose it.

It's very unlikely you'll ever play the guitar, piano, paint a masterpiece or get much fine motor out of it, but as long as you don't allow the muscles to just shrink and become useless that way, you will be able to learn to use it to do many things your non-dominant hand used to do. If it was your dominant hand, in time you can teach your other hand to do the things the other hand once did.

For example, I was left handed and lost my left hand. I use my left hand to do things like open doors, hold things, the gross motor stuff, while although it took a long time, and it's not pretty, I taught myself to write, put on makeup, stuff like that with my right.

I doubt you'll need tips for putting on makeup, but there are lots of guys here your age who'll be happy to help.

Keep working hard, you'll do fine!

((((hugs)))

Maria

Hello my friend,

The answer to your question is YES!!! I also had an AVM erupt on me in 1995 @ age of 46.

My right side became completely paralyzed after having a stroke. The Avm was located in the

excecutive part of my brain. As I began P.T. in a nursing home while getting strong enough to

have surgery for the removal of avm they began me @ a standing table. Got fitted for a brace to

keep paralyzed hand open. (my husband put me in a nursing home that had 2 P.T. on shift during

the week days) as there were handicapped children living on the second floor. The P.T. worked

with me each day as I began to get my strength back. My Insurance also sent a speech therapist

into nursing home to work w/ me to one, get off feeding tube & two, retrain brain how to speek.

After surgery they transported me to a Rehab center to begin grueling retraining of healthy side

of brain. With determination & grit I decided within myself & w/ the help of God, if at all possible

I was going forward! I met a lot of nice folks in Rehab who were in the same boat as me.

After months of relearning to walk, write, eat, slowly regaining bit by bit I began to see SLOW

progress....I had 4 young children and a brilliant & caring husband to get well for.

Our friends from another state came 2 @ a time staying w/ my family a month @ a time.

Our youngest was just 16 mos. old. We were in process of adopting 2 youngest.

From in-patient rehab went into out-patient rehab for 2 Yrs. Relearned how to drive w/ left

ft. gas pedal.

Katrina(Caged Bird)is an inspiration to us all! Never stop, Never lose Faith, don't give up,

Keep on keeping on with a positive goal. "Whether you walk, run or stumble...never lose sight

of the reason for the journey or miss a chance to see a rainbow along the way."

Take Care!

Nancy

• 2 weeks later...

Botox injections will help loosen them up a bit. My doctor looked me in the eye and told me i'll never have use of my hand and fingers again, and they would be the last to come back. I want to prove her wrong! Don't give up hope.

What I do and it still hasn't worked yet. My finger control area is dead so first I have to relocate the control area, no medical person knows how to do this.

I use mirror box therapy

thermal stimulation,

action observation,

mental imagery,

passive movement.

Research documentation is available at Deans' Stroke Musings.

Hi BLewis, Yes your hand and arm will get better but it is a slow process. Ask your ot for home exercises and do them, the best thing to do is repeat, repeat and repeat. It even helps to imagine your hand, fingers and arm working, think of how you finger and hand move, drill it into your brain. There are many exercises you can do, I found a great book that was very helpful to me it is called the successful stroke survivor by Tom Balchin. He is a stroke survivor who became a doctor and the book describes everything about stroke and there are all sorts of exercises, it is very helpful.

my stroke affected my right side , i had to learn to do things with my left hand and work on my right i thought the harder you work on it the sooner it'll return well no but its working just on its on time, from what they explain to me theirs more muscles on your hand then what we think now i'm able to open my hand still gets tire fast but every day something new happens

olga - you look so young in your photo - I am sorry that this happened to you and to me. my stroke was 3-14-13. We should keep in touch.

• 3 weeks later...

I am happy to hear that there is hope for my left arm and hand.he doctors and therapists I have had do not give me much hope. So I was happy to read the posts. Sometimes it feels like my arm and hand want to move.. I had my stroke in April of 2012.

YES is the answer for you and any other stroke survivor BUT it takes time and hard work in therapy and working with your hand on your own daily. The brain doesn't control it any more, you have to by sight and muscle movement daily. Chances are slim it will ever be like

before the stroke because it's paralyzed now.

• 1 month later...

One frustrating thing about brain injuries, strokes and related rehab is that each person's situation is unique. I have heard of but not tried a tactic called constraint induced therapy where in a clinical setting your unaffected hand is covered and you spend most of the time attempting to do things with your affected hand. The doctor's name who promotes this approach is Edward Taub. I am not endorsing it and it may or may not help everyone. I am 59 years old and 2 years post stroke and can pick toy pegs out of a mat using my left hand (thumb and finger in a pincer motion, which is what you want). It took a lot of peg picking to get that far, but I am determined to keep improving. Golf is my passion and I need that left hand to play again. Keep trying and fight your way through the frustration. I believe the effort will pay off, and I'll be damned if I'm going to let this brain injury kick my butt. The brain can reorganize and repair itself with your help--keep your eyes on the prize.

Doug.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My hand will not open up. It used to stay in a tight fist, and my fingernails would dig into the palm of my hand. But for the last 2-3 yrs I have been getting Botox injections, and wearing a hand brace at might ( similiar to a Saebo Stretch), and now my hand and fingers are more relax. I can hold on to my toothbrush, but my hand will not open/release.

Although I have not been to OT (occupational therapy) for a very long time. My wrist will not move either. It is "locked" in place. I understand your frustrations. I have been there. Hang in there.

Archived