brain stem stroke

Hi Everyone,

I am a victum of a brain stem stroke,Dec. 1 2004.

I am interested in knowing more about anyone who has had a stroke and works on line from home.

I may not be able to return to work and would be interested in knowing more about available on line work in Canada.

Take Care

Lorraine

Hi Lorriane,

I don't have any answers to your questions. I just wanted to welcome you aboard. From what I've seen of your posts so far, I think you're going to fit right in here at Strokenet.

Jean

Guest PERRYS

Hi and welcome hiya.gifhiya.gif

Although I don't have the answers to your questions about working online from home, I can relate to a brainstem stroke. My stroke, in the pons area of the brainstem, left me with little movement in my left arm and leg. It also took my balance and my voice. My right side is far from normal, but it does work some. Good to hear you are well enough to try to work, but don't rush into it!

G'day Lorraine,

I had my stroke 2 years ago, and no one knows why. I now work from home, and I love it. You can work at your own pace, and rest when you need to. I do contract work telemarketing, and other marketing stuff. I also work 1 day a week at my brothers factory doing the payroll.

I'm in Australia, but I cant imagine it too much different. You just need to look in you local papers, talk to friends and generally ask around. Usually a small business that cant afford full time staff.

There is a guy who put a post up a little while ago who was talking about computer programming from home. Another guy prints T-shirts. There is a multitude of things you can do..... you just have to put your mind to it.

A positive attitude is everything!!!

Sue gleam.gif

Hi Lorraine and WELCOME!

I had a brainstem stroke too a bit over nine years ago. I volunteer at this site to occupy some of my day. My problem is that I can't think of anything I'd like doing aside from this.

As others have written, it can be done though!

Take care & much luck!

Susan

I am a brain stem stroke surviver here also. I am 59 and was a professional land surveyor when I had the strokes.

I work part time now from home for a local Engineering Co. Ninety percent of my work is done by email from home. I can still drive but don't drive a lot. I recently bid on a property research project from the local City. Research away from home is about 15% of the project while analysis and mapping is the rest.

I work weird hours erratic hours but maintaining normal working hours is extremely difficult. This works OK

I have always enjoyed photography and have interest in preparing quality level oversize digital prints.

When you have an excess of time, that is an opportunity lots of others don't have.

I quickly think of writing, cataloging and preparing photo albums, preparing newsletters, recipe books, digitizing documents for archiving. All of the thing others do not have the time to do.

Earl

Hi

I had a VAD in 2003 and had wondered about the same thing.

Basically, what can one do without too much reliance on balance, etc?

Computer stuff, I imagine.

Sorry, no answer, just ramblings

m2

• 1 year later...

My only concern w/ working online from home is often there are terrible deadlines and can you deal w/ that kind of pressure. I myself found out I had a silent brainstem stroke when I realized I was typing one thing and thinking another. I don't know if you have written aphasia but if you do then that will even create more pressure for writing on the computer and doing tasks and sequencing. So I would make sure you can do all those tasks well before you try to take on a computer online job. They are tedious and stressful and tire the brain easily so think twice about it. Computer work is tough on anyone w/ braindamage when it comes to time limits and stress and fatigue level these are all my feelings and also theories proven by some studies... Let me know what you all think.... Cathy

Guest darlin12009

hi lorraine,

oddly enough, i was just checking into a situation that may fit your bill, i was checking on it for my boyfriend who may be in the same situation. it is transcribing text books into brail, offered as an online course by a school in texas. i know that this is legitamite, because i heard about it in a company e-mail from verizon, as we sponsered the funding for the program. i have not yet contacted the school for the details, but you should be able to get funding through state aid as a "disabled" person. i hope this helps, they say you can do it as long as you have a computer..good luck..

hellen

here is the contact if you are interested...

the website is http://www.accd.edu/nvc/areas/braille/default.htm

• Founder and Owner

Hi, I could have probably worked from home but I would not do it because of having to file income tax and then disqualify myself from my federal disability payment. I have to annually get a note from my doctor that I am still completely disabled.

My other concern was that my health might be bad for a while, which it has, and then I would not have my disability payment and also not have the income from my job.

I volunteer online and work completely at my own pace.

If I wake up too tired, with a headache, not feeling motivated, etc, I work when and if I feel like it.

I definitely don't work whenever I'm not feeling up to it.

One more thing, I can do almost anything on the computer but I am slow and sometimes wear myself out from doing things. Sometimes, I'm not only slow but my brain feels worn out. I'm not going to try to work like this and make one mistake after another.

sorry i cannot help but it is nice to hear from another brainstem stroke survivor. I had mine in 2003 and am now in my 4th year. I used to work in the field of Health, Safety and Environmental management where i thought there were many opportunities for working on line but as time went on my concentration gave out and i gave the idea up as a bad job.

I hope you have better luck

All the best and keep in touch

Mike

Guest veggie.vampire

I'm in a wheelchair and have just one functional hand at present (a bit over a year from stroke). A friend kindly offered to do the fetching and carrying so I can go back to freelance accountancy and book keeping. Much if not all can be done on a pc so working from home is an option; I did it prestroke.

yes i know it can be done on a local level but like you i used to work in the consultancy field pre stroke but at a national level. The stroke has taken from me a number of things that make returning to work with my former client base impossible and whilst i could develop a more local client base i like Steve cannot work to deadlines any more and find it very difficult to conduct site meetings.

Archived