•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

tmciriani

I am wondering if any of you have OCD and what does that mean for you...

66 posts in this topic

I have been told recently by my sister and my daughter that I am OCD. I quickly said no way I can't be just look at my kitchen no one with OCD would ever allow that. So I'm curious because they seem to know something about me that I don't see in myself. If any of you have OCD can you please tell me how it affects you.

This can be something that is also affected by where I had the stroke...the cerebellum. I'm just curious about others.

I have OCD. I didn't have it before the stroke. I obsess about things. If I misplace something, OMG is all I can say about the way I feel until I find it. My husband is learning and is helping me, but its all new to me. I am a work in progress.

Ok I do obsess about things. So that makes sense. Thank you swetMom for your input Im just trying to see things in myself that I can work on by comparing with others' stories. I mean how do you answer are you obsessive or compulsive about things if your not reall sure what that it or includes.

I know I am different than I was. In some cases, I'm still the same to me, but mostly different to others that knew me before the strokes. Its hard to keep an open mind about the differences that people see in me. I have to constantly remind myself that I am a new me. 

To be alive is to be how I am, remembering how I was. 

I hope when I figure out who I am, I like who I become. 

I was OCD before my stroke -- to the point it drove hubs crazy. I was also an organizing freak -- even our canned vegetables were alphabetized!!

Since the stroke I find that I could care less about order, schedules, organizing -- I have much more important things to worry about (my health and healing).

I think whatever I experience has gotten worse. I think it is due to where my stroke was...cerebellum. I can't say exactly what my family sees or notices. But man  have I got to get over what it is too. OCD would only cause more anxiety I think. I don't know the whole confuses me. My hubby says to stop thinking about what others think.

My hubby says to stop thinking about what others think.

He's right! This is one of those times you must only think of yourself and your healing.

Benni I think you are right. I think maybe this is part of what I get obsessed about. I research things to nth degree. i think I know more about the cerebellum than some Doctors know. My Psychiatrist said I probably know more than he knows about it. What I get from all of this is that I should have been a Doctor LOL.

Hi, I didn't have OCD pre-stroke, and I'm not sure if I or you had/have it post-stroke.  During the lengthy recovery, you need a fairly strict routine and control of your life just to survive the recovery journey!  Also, you may be exhibiting behaviors that are similar to OCD when you're trying to control the worry and anxiety that are persistent those first few years......Just saying "dunno", lol, but it is questionable.   :wink_anim: 

Lin that is something I haven't thought of but makes a lot of sense

what lin said....i am much more fixated on getting certain things done now while they are on my mind.....esp if it is something i can do now as opposed to something i could do before

I like things a certain way, but I'm not obsessed...I don't think.

Ditto what Lin said. Routine routine routine.

It may make us seem like we are obsessed, but whatever gets you through the day...

Hi again, when I mentioned daily routine, I forgot that saying "I never put off till tomorrow what I can possibly do.......the day after."  I love Oscar Wilde quotes!   :jester: 

Tracy, this is going back quite a bit.....I've started spring cleaning, and was going through files to see what paperwork I could ditch, when I came across a newsletter I had received years ago from a Brian Injury Association.  

Re OCD, it said "If I repeat actions, like checking to see if the doors are locked or the stove is turned off, it may seem like I have OCD - but I may not.  It may be that I am having trouble registering what I am doing in my brain.  Repetitions enhance memory.  (It can also be a cue that I need to stop and rest.)"

Hope you're not still worried about that, my friend.  (And I wish I could learn how to use the scanner on my printer; but too much else to learn, lol.)   Have A Nice Day Smiley Face, Emoticon 

Lin I am getting so much better at sorta being who I am. I have purposefully stopped looking up every worry I have via book or web and my anxiety thanks me. This may all be part of this journey I'm just reaching new places!

Hey, where are you getting these crazy smileys?

?

:lol:

I was OCD before the stroke and so is my mother. She has to have everything a certain way. and not the obsessive certain way.. I mean something won't be right or the world won't.....like no matter what we do or say,ok so me... I am a creature of needing everything to be even or more importantly have four sides. Like scary is when I'm driving for I need to drag my foot around the sides of the brake and count four. Or my thumbs are rubbed raw because I make a square around them to make four. It's crazy. So many people think it's just being neat and organized.. well it's not and I hate it. I have 'ticks' like I take my upper lip and start at the top of my upper teeth and continuously go up and down. I did that for YEARS and now it's mainly my thumbs and my youngest son coughs. Like one cough out of nowhere..over and over.I always thought he was sick.. so between his cough and my thumbs ..we are a pair :)  Some say I am a neat freak now but that is more to much visual disturbances make me irritated. 

On 3/11/2017 at 2:19 PM, tmciriani said:

Lin I am getting so much better at sorta being who I am. I have purposefully stopped looking up every worry I have via book or web and my anxiety thanks me. This may all be part of this journey I'm just reaching new places!

Way to go, Tracy!  

Apparently, the doctors where I live (PEI) are constantly complaining about patients googling their symptoms, and choosing the worst case scenario.  The Chief Medical Officer (I think that's the right title???) was on the local television news very recently and strongly asked for individuals to stop googling medical/mental issues.  However, she said it's fine to use google to get more information AFTER being diagnosed by a health care professional.  Also said that the Mayo Clinic's website is the only one that contains information that is medically accurate.

You've taken a significant step!  Proud of you....     Bravo Awesome Job Smiley Face, Emoticon

On 3/11/2017 at 4:02 PM, Deigh said:

Hey, where are you getting these crazy smileys?

1f6b4.png

:lol:

You talking to me? You talking to me? (who says that in a movie??)  Deigh, I thought it was you who gave us the smileys   Related image   

23 hours ago, ksmith said:

I was OCD before the stroke and so is my mother......I am a creature of needing everything to be even or more importantly have four sides. Like scary is when I'm driving for I need to drag my foot around the sides of the brake and count four. Or my thumbs are rubbed raw because I make a square around them to make four.....

Kelli, I hope you find some way to overcome the brake situation.  I have an idea re your raw thumbs.....my dad used a "worry stone" after he lost his vision because he no longer was so busy all the time.  This type of stone is really smooth, so it wouldn't harm your thumbs.....it would be worthwhile to see if you can get worry stones that have four sides. 

I think we all (not just stroke survivors) have some quirks.  When I was a teenager (eons ago), every now and then I'd bite my fingernails.  Learned it could cause bad cuticles, gross teeth, and ass worms in your mouth.  LOL  Laughing Around And Rolling Smiley Face, Emoticon  

But seriously, have you tried putting a rubber band around your wrist and snap it when you're repeating an action that you want to stop?   Big Hug Please Smiley Face, Emoticon

On 3/12/2017 at 5:23 PM, Linnie said:

Way to go, Tracy!  

Apparently, the doctors where I live (PEI) are constantly complaining about patients googling their symptoms, and choosing the worst case scenario.  The Chief Medical Officer (I think that's the right title???) was on the local television news very recently and strongly asked for individuals to stop googling medical/mental issues.  However, she said it's fine to use google to get more information AFTER being diagnosed by a health care professional.  Also said that the Mayo Clinic's website is the only one that contains information that is medically accurate.

You've taken a significant step!  Proud of you....     Bravo Awesome Job Smiley Face, Emoticon

My comments was off topic for this discussion so I removed them

The Question Mark Smiley Face, Emoticon   Hi there, we haven't met yet.  Sorry if you misinterpreted my message to Tracy.  The doctor I mentioned didn't say it is mandatory to stop using Google.  If it has helped you without increasing anxiety, that's great!  All the best,