•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

Pearls

What are you READING?

11 posts in this topic

THE BRAIN'S WAY OF HEALING by NORMAN DOIDGE, M.D. This is a book about Remarkable Discoveries and Recoveries from the Frontiers of Neuroplasticity published in 2015. This is Not a How To book. It is about alternatives to traditional medical practices in rewiring the brain. It does not give resources but it is an interesting read that makes one feel hopeful and optimistic again. Through case studies It discusses how movement and exercise affect the damaged brain, light laser therapy, music therapy etc. some of these are used experimentally and some in other countries. Not a light read....427 pages.

Wow!  I'm impressed by your reading fortitude :-)   This topic sounds interesting.  I don't think I would want to read the whole book, but it would be interesting to skim over some time - I might check and see if the local library here has a copy (I'm often surprised at what they carry!).  Thanks for sharing! 

Pearls you are awesome that you read such a big thick book. This does sound interesting though like cons2g said. I would have huge difficulty in reading this but it is defininately something I would be interested in learning about.

this sounds like a very good book.  my reading patience for longgggggggg books is not good, but I checked and it is an audio book.  I have listened to "the gene" as an audio book and in fact did it twice!  you don't get bogged down.  I am going to try it.

thank you

david

Pearl that sounds like another read I should tackle.   Right now reading an ebook called Brain Facts: A Primer on the Brain and Nervous System.  I like actual books after trying this.  It did help me with the page turning. Bookmarking was excellent but recalling what I read that something just have to do.  Over and over sometimes.  Makes for slow reading.  Interesting learning as some of the material you can relate to.  Its more a medical book so I find it not too compelling to read. 

Next read a hard cover book "Cross The Line"  James Patterson. 

I'm still working on Go Dog Go. :wink:

I am now reading "whole food recipes" it's a magazine but still reading lol. Smiles...I haven't read a book since the big S because I haven't been able to get through the pages. I may have to try again it's been a while.

On 10/6/2016 at 7:58 PM, Pearls said:

THE BRAIN'S WAY OF HEALING by NORMAN DOIDGE, M.D. This is a book about Remarkable Discoveries and Recoveries from the Frontiers of Neuroplasticity published in 2015. This is Not a How To book. It is about alternatives to traditional medical practices in rewiring the brain. It does not give resources but it is an interesting read that makes one feel hopeful and optimistic again. Through case studies It discusses how movement and exercise affect the damaged brain, light laser therapy, music therapy etc. some of these are used experimentally and some in other countries. Not a light read....427 pages.

I recently watched a documentary on the Life and Work of Dr. Marion Diamond.  In 1964, her groundbreaking research on brain plasticity was published.  Modern Neuroscience on brain plasticity is based on this paper.  Her approach was straight forward.  In one group, mice were given learning exercise with reward while the control group did not participate in the learning exercise. In a post-mortem of the mice brain, she found that "learned" mice had bigger brains than the "non learned" brains.  Prior to this paper, Neuroscientist believed that the brain was genetically imposed.  I remember my Neuro-PT explaining that the brain is plastic and I had to relearn balance.

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/146/3644/610

Thank you for sharing. I am particularly interested the Music and the Brain.  Music is incredibly beautiful and almost a drug to me now.

Wow Pearl, I am  so inpressed that you read a book like this. I would love to  say I can do this as well, But......... after the stroke, I would not , could not, focus to even read a leaflet.  Slowly and nice and easy, I started reading my Grand kids books.  Just enough pages , even if I had to read the chapters twice.  I now pick up my bible, still have to read the sentences twice, but I am now  trying, before I just give up before trying.   I do have the bible on CD's, so enjoy  listening to it. Helps me go too sleep.  Just wanted to share that.

Yvonne

I have to say I'm also very impressed!  That's really an accomplishment.  I'm still plodding away in my attempt to be able to read without such difficulty; mainly caused by my short attention span.  

I applaud you! :yay:

On 10/6/2016 at 10:58 PM, Pearls said:

Hi Pearls,  I read this book last year too.  It was a great book.  I learned so much from it.  But it took me a long time to read.  Actually reading is part of my therapy since I can only focus a short time before I lose it.  I can usually only get about 15-20 minutes in before my headache gets really bad and I find myselft just skimming the page without reading.  Then I know it s time to stop.  I would highly recommend it no matter how slow you can read it.  It made so much sense to me.  I reallized that the stroke didn't destroy my muscles, just broke the connection to my brain and there is a good possibility that you can make a new connection over time.  OVER TIME - no miracles

As I've said in other posts MUSIC is very likely to help.  I have used music to help me improve my walking and other exercises.  I also used the light laser therapy in from the book and in 2 or 3 days my balance improved so much my wife could really notice.  (It's not perfect, but I take any gain to regain some oldtime normalcy) I could walk across the room with no rolator.  That was a first.  I only needed to touch - notice the word touch - to keep my balance.  My brain could take that input and correct my tipping as I moved.  This may not help others, and I was a bit sceptical, but for me it was as valuable as months of therapy on this.