•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

Linnie

Canada: Legalization of Marijuana for Recreational Use

29 posts in this topic

Tracy, as I mentioned in previous posts:

- The sale of pot to minors (by legal vendors) will not be permitted; the same as the sale of alcohol or cigarettes is not permitted;

- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs will be dealt with the same as it is now;

- Medical use of marijuana has been approved in Canada for quite some time.  (I just checked up on how long ago, and found it was initially provided in 1999.  In 2001, legislation was passed to allow for legal purchasing or growing your own marijuana plants if you were authorized by your physician to use it for medical purposes.)

Stop worrying, my friend, as I said in my last post: "To sum it up, as I've said in previous posts legalization is simply that; buy the pot from licensed dealers rather than buying it from shady drug dealers."

:dunno:   We're really not going to know much more until the legislation for purchasing pot for recreational use is passed; and the Federal Government is aiming for the spring of 2017.  So for now, I understand your concerns, but trust me.....the issues you brought up will be addressed.   :)

Just a small update.....The Task Force has determined the legal age for purchasing weed will be the same age as required for purchasing alcohol....18 in some provinces, 19 in the remainder.  The provinces will have the authority to increase the age if wanted.

The Canadian Medical Association wanted the age to be 21 or 25 because of teenagers' brains still developing; but that didn't sway the Task Force, because they know that teenagers are purchasing pot now thru the black market, and will continue to regardless of the legal age.

Also, adults will be able to have 30 grams (approx. 1 ounce) on their possession, and allowed to grow 4 plants at their homes.

Determining drug use while driving will continue as it is now; basically psychophysical tests with the most important being divided attention tests (oh, oh for many of us stroke survivors, lol.)  The saliva test....ongoing study.

Many Canadians have a criminal record for possession of marijuana, and this prevents them from crossing the border to the States.  If this is the only criminal offense, these records may be expunged after legislation is passed.

An interesting comment (among many) re Marketplace's video on superweed:

This story is a decent effort, but still full of misinformation.

(1) The THC level of cannabis has not increased dramatically since the 1970s. That is a myth based on difference in testing methods.Also, there's no mention of hash, which is always stronger than cannabis, and which has been around for millennia, and was widely available during the 1970s. People wanting a stronger effect, in the 70s or now, will use hash instead of cannabis.

(2) While doctors complain about THC in cannabis, the only legal option for cannabis medicines other than actual cannabis, is 100% pure THC capsules. So how does that make any sense?

(3) There has been no increase in overall psychosis or schizophrenia levels in North America in the past several decades, despite increased use of cannabis among the population. If cannabis causes schizophrenia or psychosis, we would see epidemiological results in the population over time, but they just aren't there.

(4) There is no discussion of harms of other substances, like alcohol, for which cannabis is often a substitute. If someone uses cannabis instead of alcohol, which is a common substitution, then they are making a responsible and healthier choice. There's no question that alcohol is more dangerous and harmful than cannabis.

(5) It's quite likely that the increase in people coming to doctors around cannabis use in legalized states, is because users don't have to risk arrest or harassment over their cannabis use. People feeling more comfortable approaching a doctor around their cannabis use is a good thing.

(6) Arguments that "we need more data" are bizarre, since cannabis has been extensively studied for over 50 years. We have more scientific research about cannabis than pretty much any other psychoactive substance, and the results all show cannabis is basically harmless.

(7) There is an increased interest in CBD products, through dispensaries and elsewhere. Some cannabis breeders and suppliers now specialize in CBD-heavy strains, but none of them were interviewed or approached for this story. I have been to several "cannabis cup" events this year, and many of them even had a special category for the CBD strains. A legalized model would allow CBD strains to become more popular.

(8) "While weed keeps getting stronger and more harmful..." That is a biased and inaccurate statement. There's no indication that "weed keeps getting stronger." The comparison is between cannabis from the 1970s and now. It's silly to think that in another decade cannabis will be stronger, as the level of cannabinoids has pretty much maxed out at this point.

(9) Calling legalization "a big experiment" ignores the real dangerous experiment, which is prohibition of cannabis. Cannabis prohibition is the experiment which has failed in Canada and around the world.

(10) There is no discussion or mention in this story about the harmful effects of prohibition. For some people, smoking cannabis leads to paranoia because they are afraid of being arrested or punished. Indeed, arrest and jail time is traumatic, and can cause mental health problems for people going through these harsh experiences.

(11) "Legal weed is coming, and soon more and more of us will be lighting up..." Except no, studies show that legalization doesn't mean increase use. In some jurisdictions, legalization means less use of cannabis overall.

Most recent report (April 13, 2017) on legalization of cannabis for recreational use in Canada:

Liberals table bills to legalize pot, clamp down on impaired driving

Regulations aim to restrict access to minors, remove profits to organized crime

Can be found at http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/marijuana-legal-bill-1.4069178?cid=Watchdog+95