dusti22

New Medication We Are Trying

7 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to put my "two cents" in. :)​  I had my 11th stroke (TIA) last Thursday and while in the hospital the doctor and I decided to try a medication to see if controlling my headache (had it for a year), might control the TIA's.  It seems that just before a TIA I get severe shooting pain on the top of my head and the right side midway above my right ear and I get brain fog so bad it is hard to even think.  So far they have not been able to determine a cause for my strokes. 

We are trying Neurontin (gabapentin) and so far this is the first time in a year that I have been without a headache and my brain actually does not feel as fuzzy.  I am taking 300mg in the morning and evening.  I took Neurontin many years ago before my seizure disorder went into remission, but Neurontin has many uses now days.  Hopefully it help with the numbness on my left side.

I will keep you posted and let you know how it is going.  My last three TIA's were since Jan 21st so we will see. 

Take care and have a great Sunday!

Shannon

Shannon, Reading between the lines, it sounds like docs don't know why you keep having TIA's. But,11? If it were me, I'd be in the corner over there, sucking my thumb! 11?!! Good luck on the neurontin. Hope it helps.   Becky

?

I feel the same way Becky my worst fear is ever having a second stroke if I survive. I am so encouraged that even after 11 strokes including TIA's that you are a positive and ready to go person. Something to aspire to. I have tried Neurontin the past year with my Psychiatrist because I am left with pretty severe psych issues and I ended up after 2 weeks not being able to take it (ankles swellws up like a balloon) but I sure hope it makes a difference for you. It's crazy they haven't founfd  whats causing this to happen. Best wishes to you on having no more.

Thanks Tracy and Becky.  Trust me there are some days that I want to run and hide. But can't...got too much I need and want to do.  My left side has started drooping again so hope I am not headed for # 12.

Worst part is I know my honey is so worried about me which is not good for him.  But we will get through it.  They can't find out what is causing it and can't really give me any clot busters, anti inflammatries due to my medicine allergies.  Doctors when they see my medic alert freak out.   By the way I highly recommend that anyone who has had a stroke or have medical issues wear a medic alert.  I use the one that says see wallet card.  I designed my own medic alert card that show my info, my meds,  emergency contacts and main medical history.  This way if I cannot speak for myself they have all the information that is needed.  Trust me it has literally saved my life several times.

Y'all take care, hang in there and have a great day!  :) 

Shannon

I fear a big one locking me in so I would have checked in for a test battery including looking for seizures.

You are very upbeat about it then positive outlook that I could never manage.

Hi Sassy,

Thanks for responding....I have found you can't live in fear or it drags you down.  You have to live each day to the fullest and let what is going to happen, happen. I try to change the things I can and let the rest take care itself.  Hang in there.  With everything going on in my health anything could happen.  But I just say a prayer every night and morning for me to be able to stay around as my honey and our 4-legged babies need me here to care for them and love them. 

My last stroke on 02/09/17 left me with memory problems and I was feeling totally scattered. The Neurontin (gabapentin) has made a total difference.  I am working on the memory by carrying my franklin (organizer) and just stopping and taking a deep breath when things get overwhelming. But the gabapentin (so far) has let me get a lot of my ability to focus back.  The doctor has raised my dosage from 300mg twice a day to three times a day.  I was getting to mid day and it was like my early morning dose had deserted me.  This seems to be  working.  Will keep you posted. By the way I am having the water retention issue that Tracy mentioned.  But my cardiologist has me on water pills which helps some.

I am back to work and yep there are definite challenges.  But bound and determined to overcome them.  Some day I would love to work with people who have had stroke.  Maybe I could help in some way.  I can't do it now but it is on my list.

Well have to call it a night as 5am comes early and bedtime is on the horizon.  Have a great night.  By the way...sorry, I guess I write a book every time I respond.    ha, ha, ha....

I just wanted  to say, I love your spirit, 11, TIA's. I had 3, and  was losing my mind.  i pray that they find out why you are having so many. Please that meds have been found to help you with the headaches.  god bless

Yvonne :haveniceday: