•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

Yv0nn3

10.5 months post stroke

7 posts in this topic

My life partner had an ischemic stroke in April at age 68. He was getting ready to go to work, he's a builder, and tried to talk but it came out alphabet soup! I asked him to smile, it was okay, so asked him to say something and he acted confused. He wouldn't agree to ambulance so I took him to hospital where he walked in with me. They determined stroke but BP was so high they couldn't give him any meds. He was transported to larger hospital where they determined a 100 per cent blockage of the left carotid artery. They tried blood thinners but it didn't change condition. Three days later his right side paralysis set in. Was told surgery wouldn't change condition or damage. He spent one month in hospital rehabilitation then two months in short term rehabilitation center. At home he got 6 weeks of PT, OT and ST, twice a week. Then went on outpatient therapy about September. He is coming to the end of Medicare limit for therapy and I'm guessing we are then on our own. He walks with hemi walker, uses some words, has his memory and intelligence, his right hand and arm have very limited movement and he has foot drop. I walk with him every afternoon and he continues to add distance. I worry about his speech as much as his other limits. He was a workaholic and has very few depression issues. We are not married but as his ex, I was able to get POA to assist him along with our son's help. There are days I want to run away but they are few and I am committed to his care and recovery. Thanks for reading.

Right now, time is your biggest enemy!  Things tend to improve with time for both the stroke survivor and stroke caregiver.  But, improvement is relative and is painfully slow.  You will look back in 5 years and you both will see notable progress.  We have a chat just for caregivers every Tuesday night from 8 pm EST until 9.  Something like this might be helpful to you if you have the time to do it. 

I agree. Seeing loved ones hurting is horrible especially when there isn't anything you can do about it  Seeing him trying to do something that is easy , so we think, is frustrating when he can't. I know it's hard on you.. just know that he isn't having a ball at this either. I'm not saying that what you are experiencing isn't horrible, for it is, just please know he too is trying his best and is going through a roller coaster of emotions. Time is all you have right now. By that I mean it's like a turtle walking through peanut butter. Slow and steady. The way you see him at this moment my look rough, he can and will continue to recover over time. many blessings   

Yes, as Steve suggested, try to go to caregiver's chat. Chances are that if you're having a problem with something, they can help you with it. Plus, you might enjoy being in  the company of others going thru the same things that you are. You're right that once ins has reached its limits for coverage, you're on your own as far as therapy goes. But Medicare does allow for some therapy each year if needed. Your ex-husband may be eligible again in 2018 if he's maxed out- coverage for 2017. Your ex-husband is lucky to have you willing to take care of him. Caregiving is not an easy job. Welcome to Strokenet, BTW.   Becky 

Hi Yvonn, my husband has aphasia also, and it is a lot of work... but the one thing you should know is that just because he can't say what he thinks, doesn't mean he is blank inside.   There are some people who can only say one word, but they THINK it is coming out normal, and just go on and on with that one word, that might not even be a word, and wonder if you are crazy because you don't react/answer anything.    Bob is one of those that knows what he wants to say, but a strange thing happens.    From the brain to the mouth, there is a disconnect and all the wrong words are chosen and they are as surprised as anyone when it comes out, you can tell because they stop talking and get frustrated because they can't say what they are thinking.    It's kind of like you know what you want to say, but find yourself in a foreign country, and you don't know that language, so your words are in your head, but when you say them, no one understands you.

Has he had any more speech therapy?   What did they say about his condition and what are his speech problems.   I understand not talking, but it's bigger than that.    Can he sign his name.   Ask him to write a few sentences about his job, and see if it comes out strange -  I'm guessing it will be the same problem as his speech.   Now, ask him to read something simple and see if he can read it.   Bob had several problems that were a real hurtle to him reading, I'll share if I find they fit the situaion you are having.    

Bob has total blockage on one side also.   Whatever condition they are in originally, it gets worse in about 3 days, because of brain swelling, so then more problems show up.

YvOnn3,

i had a stroke in 2004 and was scared to death I wouldn't survive but I have and I try to do all I can to keep busy and not think much about that time..... I just lost the use of my left side, use a cane and a scooter and can still drive my vehicle this many years later so I'm a happy camper..... I spent 6 months in the hospital before coming home.....

All the best to your partner..... :D

Hi Yvonne, Your story sounds almost like my own,. Except I am a stroke survivor and my right carotid artery was blocked. I am 3 years  post stroke, I do have problems with my left side. I have seen some improvement but, I keep praying for more.