Don404

New Kid on The Block

11 posts in this topic

Hi, my name is Don and I just found this site while searching for some information concerning strokes.  I was very impressed with it so I immediately signed up, so I guess that makes me "the new kid on the block".  It's now been about nine months since my stroke, and I was pretty lucky to have received medical care quickly.  It all started on June 8th when I had lower back surgery to remove a herniated disk (spinal fusion).  The surgery went fine, and as I live alone my daughter came to stay with me after the surgery.  Everything was going along well until the evening of June 16th when we were sitting in the living room and I was getting pretty frustrated getting the password for my laptop to work.  I started to feel rather strange and she said to give her the laptop and she would type it in for me.  When I tried to answer the words wouldn't come out, nothing but strange mumbles.  My daughter is an RN, and she immediately said "your having a stroke", and called 911.  I only live about a mile and a half from the fire station where the EMT's are, so it didn't take them too long to get to my house and then off to the hospital.  They found both carotid arteries were 70% clogged.  They had not expected this as I had none of the danger sings leading to a stroke - I was normal weight, cholesterol at 120, a1c 5.5 , don't smoke or drink, etc.  they operated on June 18th and cleared the left artery then on June 21 shipped me of to rehab. Also, June 21st was my birthday  and I turned 84.  Not exactly the way I planned to celebrate,  but there I was.  I could barely speak, couldn't stand up or walk, and as I found out later couldn't write my name and really didn't know where I was, and really didn't care. Due to getting medical help so rapidly, the only permanent damage I suffered was a loss of some of my balance, some short term memory, some of my sense of taste and sometime getting the right word out when I'm talking.  The therapists that I had were wonderful and did an excellent job on my rehab. A month after arriving in rehab I was discharged, however, I was still using my walker. Also, the post stroke fatigue hit me and remains with me, coming and going at odd intervals. My stamina also took a beating, however, I suppose part of that is the aging process, as I will turn 85 in three months.  I still feel very lucky and am looking forward to learning more here in the forums.
Don

"I'm not the least bit afraid of
death - why, I was dead for
several million years before
I was born and it didn't do me
any harm.".....Mark Twain

Don it's great that you found this site and yes the members here are great. The site and its' members can help you with information, different subject matter that oertains to stroke, (the board is great!) we also have chat where you can talk to others who have experienced stroke and probably many of the same things as you. That is one thing you will get here...understanding...all of us are very aware that those who have not had stroke can sometimes just not relate but we can. Your writing is excellent so I can tell you have come a long way! Congratulations! Feel free to ask questions, make comments, and join in any of the many topics here at the site or start your own topic...there is also a blog section that many have really enjoyed writing in and sharing their experiences. Welcome!

Hi Don, and welcome to StrokeNet.  You're right about considering this site as impressive.  The members are so caring, and will help you with any information you need.  Having a stroke is really bad news, and many of us were in the same boat as you, totally unexpected to have a stroke based on our health.

You mentioned that the fatigue and decrease in stamina might be due to your age, but keep in mind that it's only 9 months since your stroke.  You can easily compare these factors to how you were 9 months ago, and I think you'll find that the stroke is the culprit!  It's very important to get lots of rest/sleep to allow your brain to heal.  These deficits will lessen with time, Don.

I love your Mark Twain quote.  Makes me think of a song called "If I Ever Leave This World Alive", ha, ha.  

Take care, ask questions, and let us know how you're doing.  🙂

Hi Don!

Welcome to the site.  Lots of good information, and caring people! 

Susan 🌻

Don. Welcome to the site. It is incredible how no two strokes are alike, everyone's version is quite different. My stroke was sudden and while I was asleep, so I had no knowledge of what was happening. The only setbacks I have had since have been pretty minor so I have been able to concentrate totally on recovery.

Regards

Deigh

Everyone covered just about everything, so just want to add my "Welcome!" When the going gets tough, hang in there, and come to Strokenet. Good luck with everything.   Becky

Don,

Welcome to our little corner of the internet. I think you will find us to be both friendly and the people here have a lot of knowledge to share.

Welcome Don, this is a wonderful community of caring, loving kind people. We do know what is going on with your mind,  and body. No question is a silly one. Let us know how you are doing, come on when you want to vent, laugh, or just say hello.

Yvonne :rflol:

Hi Don!

Welcome to the site!

We are all lovely...especially me!!! Nooo! I'm joking!!

So very glad you found us, this site has been a true blessing for me.

Remember, there are no silly questions. We are happy to help...and listen.

Don, welcome to this site. My goodness, you could not have a better stroke, if that makes sense. Your daughter was an RN, you live close to EMT, so FAST and thank goodness for that for what may have been a terrible event was able to be fixed and you're here.  

On 3/14/2017 at 10:23 AM, Don404 said:

. Due to getting medical help so rapidly, the only permanent damage I suffered was a loss of some of my balance, some short term memory, some of my sense of taste and sometime getting the right word out when I'm talking.  The therapists that I had were wonderful and did an excellent job on my rehab. A month after arriving in rehab I was discharged, however, I was still using my walker.

Post stroke fatigue is so common, unfortunately,  after stroke. I know you're a spry sounding person and taking this in stride and with the support from your daughter, as well as us here, this will be okay 

Another welcome aboard Don and hope you enjoy this site as I have been a member here since 2005 when we only had a few members back then......