•  

Janelle it has been so long since I have visited or written here. I have been rereading your post and replies. Almost a year ago. I wanted to share with you that over the New Year's holiday I got very sick and was hypoxic from asthma. I was in the hospital for 4 days and learned during that time that I am a diabetic now as well. It was and still is a shock to me. I am still in the process of taking classes to learn how to do this so I feel a bit lost. I just wanted you to know I am thinking of you and now know how you must have felt when you started this thread. I probably should go back and read through my own response to you 🙂 lol. I sure hope you are doing well and feel better about things since your 1st post. It seems I am joining your club my friend. Love you.

12 hours ago, tmciriani said:

Janelle it has been so long since I have visited or written here. I have been rereading your post and replies. Almost a year ago. I wanted to share with you that over the New Year's holiday I got very sick and was hypoxic from asthma. I was in the hospital for 4 days and learned during that time that I am a diabetic now as well. It was and still is a shock to me. I am still in the process of taking classes to learn how to do this so I feel a bit lost. I just wanted you to know I am thinking of you and now know how you must have felt when you started this thread. I probably should go back and read through my own response to you 🙂 lol. I sure hope you are doing well and feel better about things since your 1st post. It seems I am joining your club my friend. Love you.

Holy Hellfire Batman.. are you feeling/doing better?...I hope 

Yeah, Tracy, how are you doing? ( I like the way Kelli said this). Becky

I wish I could say "I feel fabulous I got this!". Unfortunately, I am still so new and don't know what I'm doing. I also have had other health issues recently and have fallen into depression. I'm actually at my shrink right now. I'm going to bounce back though and get on top of things. My local stroke support group is providing me with information about their local Diabetes group. I think it would be good for me. Thank you guys for checking on me. Hugggs

Geez, Tracy, keep us updated as you can.(((HUGS, BACK)))

I found a book at my library right after I learned I was T2.  It was written by Dr Bernstein.  He is a T1 so it is a bit slanted that way, but it helped me to understand quite a bit.  As I remember more I will let you know.

Dr. Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution

Hey, Tracy, I just wanted to share with you the biggest revelation I had after learning I was T2 (back in 2009).  I tried so hard to do everything right - finger sticks, tracking the BG readings and everything I ate, meeting with my doctor and my diabetes educator regularly - trying so hard to make my BG numbers behave.  It took me a few years, but I finally realized:  I can't control this perfectly.  Yes, I have some degree of control over it, but the strangest things will affect my readings.  Things like being tired, or feeling upset or depressed, or being extra busy, or being under the weather, or having a change in my daily routine, or it's really hot outside, or who knows what all else.  There is no way I can control all of those things.  So I have learned to just do my best, eating as well as I can and keeping track of what's happening, but not freaking out about it.  If my blood sugar is a little high but I'm hungry, I eat something; I'll just try to keep the carbs down.  It takes a lot of stress off me to realize that I can only do the best I can do, and I don't have to be perfect; in fact, stressing out over trying to be perfect just makes the BG readings go up (go figure!).  So with all the wisdom of my nearly 9 years experience :tongue:  I would say, just relax, don't stress out about it - you're going to be fine.  (I know, easier said than done, but it CAN be done!)