scottm

A new hobby or is it therapy

10 posts in this topic

I've probably mentioned that in my last life I was an engineer but now find that my ability to think things through and do the math is, well, beyond me. I  look at the page and the numbers don't mean much to me and my typing skills totally suck. This will probably take me an hour to type.

I've always been a spatially oriented person, one of the reasons I was an expert diver was my ability to think in 3 dimensions. That particular ability still exists in me if a bit restrained, more so by fear of exceeding my abilities. Talking with my nephew who is a mechanical engineer I got interested in CAD a few months ago and was able to start exercising those spatial skills without having anyone worry about me doing some reckless physical thing.

So, I bought a 3D printer, a thermoplastic extrusion machine that prints plastic in 100 micron layers. This allows me to design things then actually print them into existence, right now I'm making the trophy's for this weekends kite flying contest.

Here is what it looks like.

I find it therapeutic, it makes me think in ways I still struggle with but time and tenacity I have in abundance, after-all it's not like I can spend the time dancing or something. :)

Scott, all hobbies are therapy! It's one reason the OTs make such a big deal of getting you going on your hobbies again before discharge (at least in inpatient rehab they do).

I believe there is even research that shows you brain will be more plastic in adapting to something you enjoy doing.

I remember in when I was in the inpatient rehab, one of the therapists asked me if I would be interested in painting a basic birdhouse as part of recreational rehab. My wife was there and ever so quietly and nicely said, "he used to make furniture for relaxation" never got an offer to go back to that room or therapist. 

Scott,

WTG!  I think it's fantastic that you've found something you like to do! 

Susan 6.gif

I used to make cards.

I've started again and loving it. I've had to adjust big time the way I make them, but it's all good.

I'm just glad I can do something that I love.

That's great Janelle. It is nice to do something that makes us think.

I like getting into that zone where I do not notice time pass  and I feel completely absorbed into creativity and being.

That's living.

I find that creating and getting lost in it is wonderful too. On that point Scott I think you could say that both hobby and therapy fits. My hobbies are really therapeutic to me.

yes I recall my hospital had make csrds kitd. Lots of fun.

Scott, I looked at the video you posted, and all I can say is "Wow"! I admit that I probably did not understand all that I was seeing, but it seemed to require a lot of precision. Good for you,too, in being open to trying something new. Becky