•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

scottm

Spider venom as stroke treatment?

Apparently the Australian funnel-web spider's venom has amazing properties, if you can use it within 4.5 hours. From a report via Ars Technica: "Venom from the Australian funnel-web spider (Hadronyche infensa) contains a chemical that shuts down an ion channel known to malfunction in brain cells after strokes, researchers report Monday in PNAS. In cell experiments, the harmless chemical protected brain cells from a toxic flood of ions unleashed after a stroke strikes. In rats, the venom component markedly protected the rats' brains from extensive damage -- even when it was given hours after a stroke occurred. Researchers have years, if not decades, of work to figure out if their particular venom is safe and effective in humans. And very few potential therapies make the cut. But, this early study gives us reason to be somewhat optimistic: it follows years of research and hypotheses that such venom components and their ion channel-targets could be key to new stroke treatments -- which are desperately needed. The vast majority of strokes involve a blockage that stops or slows the flow of blood into an area of the brain (other strokes can be caused by hemorrhages.) This leaves brain cells without fresh blood and oxygen. To cope, the cells can switch to metabolic pathways that don't rely on oxygen. But this creates acidic conditions, and the pH outside of brain cells starts dropping fast -- a scenario called acidosis. In the acidic, oxygen-starved brain regions, brain cells become damaged and start dying off, causing irreparable damage. The only drug approved by the Food and Drug Administration to treat these types of strokes tries to restore blood flow by breaking up clots. But this drug is only used in about three to four percent of stroke victims because it has to be used within 4.5 hours of the stroke. It also comes with the risk of causing hemorrhages."

Another shining example of truth being "stranger than fiction."   Becky

There's been a lot on the news about this.

images (56).jpg

I've never heard of this before.  Very interesting, but like you said the research is still in the early stages for its use on humans.

Don't mean to clutter your thread, but as an aside, I've been told that there's a private clinic in British Columbia where they claim they can recalibrate your brain after a stroke or other brain injury to reverse any damage.....  I See Money Smiley Face, Emoticon Expensive and ????????

Linnie there's always someone willing to clutch at straws. I know if we wait for fully scientific proven treatments we may never do anything and I use clinical trials to get access to newer treatments on an "it can't hurt to try" basis, but anyone offering miracle cures needs to be treated with skepticism especially if they want serious money for the miracle, clinical therapy trials are usually free.

It will be interesting to watch how the spider venom experiments progress.

I agree 100% Heather.  I may start a topic on hoax treatments that are currently out there; it's hard to understand why some people fall for them.  There's desperation, but....they really need a reality check.  I also don't understand why the hoaxters aren't charged for fraud.

P.S. I hope that everyone understands that I wasn't including Scott's message re the spider venom research when I mentioned hoax treatments.  Related image

It depends. How much will people pay to get spider bit? :oh:

On 3/26/2017 at 4:05 PM, scottm said:

It depends. How much will people pay to get spider bit? :oh:

Not a penny from me.....I'm so terrified of any type of insect; I think I could tackle a grizzly bear easier than facing down a spider, ant, mosquito, etc. etc.  So I'm a wimp!  I Am Blushing Smiley Face, Emoticon

But I do hope that the research being done on spider venom is successful!

Lin I am a huge bug wimp too. I hate them anywhere near me. I just scream and jump on top of something. Hubby has the job of getting rid of any spiders. When I was 16 I flipped my car because a spider was trying to get in my window. :blankstare:

This is where I draw the line, NO SPIDERS. too freaky.

Deigh   

Snakes are the most hated and feared animals on earth, not only by us but also by other animals. Yet despite everyone trying to kill them they still survive and are not even threatened so they must have some magic formulae in them that comes to their rescue whenever danger is close!

Deigh

Nope not me. No snake venom No spider bites No bugs No No No. I haven't learned to run yet. But if a spider gets on me I may learn real fast. 

:@#*%: :#@</!!:

Deigh   

Can't understand your aversion to spiders, Look what happened to a young man who got bitten by one and was able to spin silk threads from his toes and fingers and was able to swing around New York at great speed as a result and catch baddies at the drop of a hat. Mind you, it stuffed up his love life when he realised what female spiders did to their spouses.

Perhaps you would be wise to run.

Deigh              :screaming:  :oops:

:yikes:    Heck, no one can run fast enough, Donna.  Quite interesting, though, what Deigh had to say about female spiders....:lol:

I love hearing about the growing progress in stroke prevention but until I see more in proof or medical news.. I'll stay as far away from spiders as possible ....yuck