•  

Benni

Exercising DOES pay off!

Exercise is so important to me. Since I couldn't go out much, in Cuba (not wheelchair friendly at all), I used all that free time for exercising my arm/hand and leg. It certainly paid off! I did 20 different exercises a day, 6 of them 3 times a day. I can bend up my arm (at the elbow) all the way up to my shoulder when I was only able to bend it up only to my bellybutton. I can walk 10 feet without my cane instead of only 4 steps. My fingers are much more relaxed instead of curled into a fist. My bad hand is able to slightly squeeze a ball. And I'm now able to bend down and pick something up without losing my balance. 
Maybe I should go to Cuba more often. :bouncing-for-joy: BTW I still do them daily. Oh! I forgot -- I walk faster, too. I've gone from snail mode to turtle mode!

Good for you!  Unless, a stroke survivor is still in physical therapy it is difficult for a stroke survivor to self-motivate themselves to perform the exercises.  Keep it up!  :bravo:

Thanks, Steve! I  want to get better badly. I hate that I  can't  do this or that. That's  the only reason for self-motivation. 

Good one Benni, There's nothing like using your stubborn for good. Keep at it. And congratulations on graduating from snail to turtle. :sneaking:

Thanks Heather!  I love that icon!! 

:bravo:   You'll be an inspiration for many others!!

Benni I can just picture you exercising to April Sun in Cuba!

I think of you when I hear the song and I always sing the song in my head when I read your posts!

What song -- April in Cuba?

It's by an Australian/New Zealand band called Dragon.

It's WAY old, but an Aussie classic.

The fashion is whoaaa...

That is way cool! Very uplifting indeed. I'm  going to make it my goal to dance to it as soon as I'm  able to dance again -- oh, how I  miss that!

Me too Benni. Me too.

Gee, I've been more active on here, talking to you, than I have in the past month! It's been so quiet here!

BENNI you are a inspiration the more you do the  better you will get

Stretching and exercising are so important. FOR alot of us it is not easy but if you can move do something try to exercise it take time but you can improve and you will feel better too.

Thank you so much, Ken!!

Exercise is such a dirty word...

Yesterday I did some arm exercises after a huge break...not a good move to start full rip.

It has however convinced me that exercising my arm at least, is required.

i did a few seta of half squats holding onto a table, then walked around the house with no walker. Today i can tell as the left leg feels well used.

had to be good for me but tiring also.i cant sit still for long, gotta exercise and move!

I've been finding that stretching my arm and doing curls with a 2 pound weight is helping with the spasm pain in my right shoulder, painful but worth it over time.

my arm moved upo towars the shoulder, ehen I realized it could I did 5 sets of 10 reps, now it is stronger, if only my wrist woul do some  movement, but not yet 

It'll get there. It is "normal" for the arm to start from the shoulder and work down. The smaller muscles are harder to "find" and fine motor control is the last thing you get. Or so I'm told 7 years in I still only have minimal shoulder control and that only so long as gravity is eliminated, and so long as my efforts don't trigger a spastic reaction.  It sucks, but I keep working on it as if you do nothing you get nothing.  At this point I not only have to rewire/reconnect I need to rebuild the muscles that have wasted as when I do get a connection the muscle doesn't have enough strength to move anything other than itself.  You don't have that problem, but remember "make haste slowly" you don't want to trigger a fatigue reaction.

Happy Holidays, folks. Appreciate the holiday format! I appreciate all the chats, too. It makes me realize I could do more. But exercise seems to tire me out. What can I do about that? What exercise for hands and arms that seem easier that usually is  a good place to start.?

Hi Mary, exercise that uses the affected limbs will tire you more than you expect as the brain has to work extra hard on those movements.  You need to judge your neural fatigue and allow for it. Don't do too many reps and be aware of when the quality of movement declines. You are better off doing a small number of good movements than a large number of so so ones.  Your best place to start is with whatever works for your life. lifting and carrying are good, so simple things like bicep curls, wrist flexion, grasp and release, internal and external rotation of each joint. Small bottles make great hand weights, you can vary the weight by changing the liquid level.

Happy holidays

-Heather

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:31 AM, Benni said:

Maybe I should go to Cuba more often. :bouncing-for-joy: BTW I still do them daily. Oh! I forgot -- I walk faster, too. I've gone from snail mode to turtle mode!

See the source image

On 4/5/2017 at 10:31 AM, Benni said:

Exercise is so important to me. Since I couldn't go out much, in Cuba (not wheelchair friendly at all), I used all that free time for exercising my arm/hand and leg. It certainly paid off! I did 20 different exercises a day, 6 of them 3 times a day. I can bend up my arm (at the elbow) all the way up to my shoulder when I was only able to bend it up only to my bellybutton. I can walk 10 feet without my cane instead of only 4 steps. My fingers are much more relaxed instead of curled into a fist. My bad hand is able to slightly squeeze a ball. And I'm now able to bend down and pick something up without losing my balance. 

WTG! :big-grin: