•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

maddogzx14

Could Microdosing have potential for stroke survivors?

17 posts in this topic

I have been reading about studies that are being conducted on microdosing people with PTSD and other anxiety issues with MDMA, Mushrooms and LSD. The doses used are so small that any of the hallucinogenic affects are not induced. They are getting positive results in a large percentage of patients.

I am thinking that it could possibly open up pathways in your brain and make it easier to reprogram different parts of the brain to take over for stroke damaged cells.

I'll keep you posted if more info comes to light.

Mark

Very interesting, I think it has potential!  Thanks for sharing.  :cool:

Perhaps since I have PTSD I could become a canidate???

I have heard of uses of different drug for PTSD  and have read great results. If you hear more please share 

These studies are interesting but I think that we have to be cautious with these studies.  For instance, if we see that micro dosing helps with cognition, memory, what happens when person takes a micro dose based on brain that stroked?  Also, these studies may influence people to experiment on their own.  

There is going to be a first of kind conference in the US on psychedelics in the Bay Area this month including neuroscientists, MD and psychologists sponsored by MAPS.  If there are published papers, you can probably find it at this conference. 

http://psychedelicscience.org

http://psychedelicscience.org/workshops/pre-conference/principles-of-mdma-assisted-psychotherapy-for-ptsd

Thanks for the links.

Certainly interesting!  PTSD is often successfully treated with cannabis here, but I'll also be checking on the results of the study re psychedelics.  (Just glad that it's microdosing; macrodosing would be a whole different story!) LOL  :smile:

Many of the researchers referenced in the article will be attending the psychedelic conference next week including Amanda Feilding.  The conference is sold out but I am attending the Neuroscience Psychedelic workshop discussing the actual mechanism.  

My interest is not taking psychedelics.  It will be probably harmful to me as my stroke affected the brainstem.  Basically, my neurons are firing too hard and I have to take Neurotin to slow it down. However, I have some unexplained issues in some weird pathway after my stroke.  So, I am interested in this workshop to understand how the brain works.  I understand that psychedelics highjacks the serotonin which is a neural transmitter.

I will post on this thread after the workshop.  Also, I think that researchers will posts their findings on posters.  I will take pictures and post on this thread.

That is great that you are going to the workshop. Please ask if they are considering trying this or anything else on stroke survivors. I am wondering if the hyper connectivity of so much more of the brain would aid retraining different parts of the brain to take over for damaged areas quicker than normal. I could use all the help I can get for waking up my right hand.

Based on the lecture topics, I believe that most of research is geared toward treating emotional disorders like PTSD and anxiety.  If there are links to the presentation, I will post it to this thread after my workshop.  It was too expensive for the conference pass for all the lectures but hopefully, they will post on the lectures on Youtube.

This is very interesting, you never know what can help open up new pathways. Thanks for the links.

I went to the day long workshop Neuroscience and psychedelics.  Most of the attendees were chemist, pharmD students and professionals, Neuroscientists, NASA engineer, MDs.  The first part discussed the chemistry and how the psychedelics would bind itself to the Serotonin Neurotransmitter.  The lecturer was a retired chemist PhD from North Carolina University.  He does not believe in micro dosing and does not think that it is possible with LSD in the way that it stays binds with the Serotonin molecule for several hours.  I did not understand most of the discussion as I do not have a background in biochemistry.  The second part of the lecture was on the functional side.  The lecturer was from Zurich and discussed his research in discussing pathways.  The 3rd lecturer discussed the analytical method of EEGs and fMRI.  I could follow this discussion. 

There was a lot of lectures on MDMA and PTSD/emotional cognitive applications.  I did not see any lectures on stroke rehabilitation and psychedelics.  Some of the lectures will be posted online.  It should be interesting for stroke survivors who suffer from emotional and cognitive disabilities as they discuss a great deal in the conference including non-psychedelic (drug) therapies like deep meditation, instruments, dream therapy.  I will update this thread if they update the site with video lectures.

My son has a biochem degrees and works in a laband he says not much happening with brain research because so little is known about normal brain that a hurt brain is problematic. That and that messing with a brain causes problems similar to the problem.

freeze me wake me later

Thanks for the update on the seminar, 2Fight. I'm hoping they will try to research any advantages for stroke survivors. There is a bunch of us out there.

This will be interesting to watch in the future since we don't know exactly how psychedelics work or exactly how the brain works. For those considering cannabis please remember there is a big difference between recreational and medical. Do your research and buy at a medical weed shop, not a recreational weed shop. Or see a doctor who actually knows what he is talking about.