Linnie

Is Kelli Actually Canadian??

41 posts in this topic

I think a number of you have read Kelli's post in Community re her regret to not be able to answer all posts right away, because of her post-stroke difficulties.  If that sounded apologetic to you, she's definitely Canadian!!

We have often been told that it's very easy for others to know that we're Canadian, just by listening to us saying "I'm sorry" so often, and for no reason.

On numerous occasions in the past, I felt I should apologize for having the strokes, even though they couldn't have been prevented.

Other examples:

Tourists stop us to say they are looking for a particular restaurant and we say:  "I'm sorry, you'll have to walk another block."  

If someone dislikes something you really, really like you're gonna say: "I'm sorry, I should have known better."

If we get run into by someone's shopping cart in a grocery store, we say "I'm so sorry" to the person who ran into us!

If we invite someone to come to our home for some occasion, and it happens to rain that day, we say "Sorry about the rain".

When asked a question that we can't answer: "I'm so sorry, I don't know". 

If we're holding someone else's baby, and the baby upchucks on us, yep, we're sorry.

Etc., etc.....

I'll just end by saying "I'm so sorry for writing this" and "Kelli, when are you coming home?"  :oh:LOL

that is sooooo funny. We've always said I'm British for I'm always saying :bravo:

Hmmm, so American, Canadian and British.....Maybe you've got some Australian and New Zealand traits as well.  That may be why everyone can relate to you so well!!  :cool:

large.picture233.jpg.fdc27476e412bd25e13a609214c5f64a.jpg

Suddenly found that Elizabeth had hatched yesterday. Another chrysalis has joined the family on the bush. It has been named Charles.

Deigh

Elizabeth is beautiful.

woops, that was supposed to be under a different heading . Perhaps someone in authority can move it over to 'Monarch' please!

Deigh

I am British, and we are always "sorry".   Coming over here, my family would say to me " what are you sorry about now"?.   My husband who is an American, loved when he went to England, cause he ran into someone and they said "sorry"  LOL.

Deigh, love Elizabeth 

Yvonne

Yes, apologising to everyone all the time is a British habit. 

Deigh,

I'm sorry about that .

So you're sorry that we're sorry?  :huh:

I'm sooooooo sorry. Lol

Donna, there's a lot of ways to express it......you've got one of them, now try "I'm so so so so sorry" or "How can I make it up to you for ramming that shopping cart into me?"  LOL  

I'll soon have you sounding like an English Canadian and a French Canadian!!  (don't mention the cussing, ok)

If we had an audio, I might get you grade me on my southern accent, saying "A jus lov ya Canadians, y'all say "eh" after everythin ya say." LOL  (I love the southern accent, it's so warm!)  And I've started to say "dangit"!  :bouncing-for-joy: 

Alrighty then...

I'm not even going to delve into the scaley pit of Aussie "sorry"!!

Basically it's always someone else's fault!

Also my ears and eyes couldn't cope with the profanity!

Here's one for you though...

Fair dinkum it's a true story...

This bloke on an electric scooter was driving down a footpath in a little town back of beyond, minding his own business.  Apparently driving a bit fast...apparently.

This woman comes out of a shop and goes flying. She was hit by the scooter.

It was all over the news.

She had to have an operation on her...hip (Heather do you remember which body part?)

Anyway the long and short of it is that us scooter drivers need to be educated on how to drive. Whaaat??

I bet my bottom dollar she didn't look coming out of the shop.

The number of times people have walked out in front of me!!

She was the local polly's wife. That's why I think it made news. 

LOL   If she was Canadian, she'd probably say that she felt a little run down anyway, before she was run down!

Janelle, I think I told you that one of my sisters married an Aussie (Melbourne) about 17 or 18 months ago.  They'll be here for vacation in late June/early July.  

14 minutes ago, GreenQueen said:

Fair dinkum it's a true story...

What does "fair dinkum" mean?  I love the sound of it, and want to use it when talking to him.  The only thing I know about Australia is Men at Work's song "Down Under".  

I'm still dating a politician (and still want to end it, but he's hard to shed, lol)....is he a polly?  :rflol:

He sure is a Polly!

Fair dinkum...you don't know??

Gosh now I've done it! How to explain it...

I think it depends on the context.

It could mean TRUE FACT...like my story.

Or "I just bought a new car"

fair dinkum? Or just Dinkum?

You could say

Fair dinkum mate, good to see you.

When you get home, you are in trouble, fair dinkum.

Yeah. Means true. Honest.

Fair dinkum mate, you've done a great job. 

Pronounced dink'm.

Hope this helps. 

Will be happy to help you translate if you need it!!

A bloke I know on an ALS site reckons he needs an American/Australian dictionary when reading my posts!

Dinkum!!

You are so funny!  I just copied and pasted your response on a draft email, so I'll remember to say "fair dinkum" and call him a bloke!  (And I'm going to get a cracker for Polly, lol)

On 4/14/2017 at 9:08 AM, Linnie said:

Hmmm, so American, Canadian and British.....Maybe you've got some Australian and New Zealand traits as well.  That may be why everyone can relate to you so well!!  :cool:

you are so funny.. maybe.. Cause I want relatives there  to visit 

4 hours ago, Linnie said:

LOL   If she was Canadian, she'd probably say that she felt a little run down anyway, before she was run down!

Janelle, I think I told you that one of my sisters married an Aussie (Melbourne) about 17 or 18 months ago.  They'll be here for vacation in late June/early July.  

What does "fair dinkum" mean?  I love the sound of it, and want to use it when talking to him.  The only thing I know about Australia is Men at Work's song "Down Under".  

I'm still dating a politician (and still want to end it, but he's hard to shed, lol)....is he a polly?  :rflol:

fair (or square or straight) dinkum
phrase of dinkum
AUSTRALIAN/NZinformal
used to emphasize or seek confirmation of the genuineness or truth of something.
"it's a fair dinkum Aussie wedding" ( thanks Google) hahaha

Kelli, I'm having an uncontrollable fit of giggles now!!  :rflol:  Better say sorry!! LOL

OMG I say it so much people get mad at me. Sorry for the chair that lept into my path.. or sorry for the object that hit someone else lol

:bravo:

Linnie,  the word bloke is not very down under, you would describe him as a 'Joker', his girlfriend would be his 'Shiela'

Deigh

Related imageRelated image

I couldn't stop looking these up...for everyone! Google is not where I go for accuracy but it is interesting. 1st 2 pics say they are australian sayings. The one under that says Local Sayings and it said these are some canadian sayings and the 3rd pic down green that says how to speak New Zulander is pronunciation really (NZ). Again I was only sharing for fun, my apologies if it is inaccurate. I can remove if you guys feel it's inappropriate.

I'm not sure how accurate any of this is but maybe you recognize a few things :coffee:

P.S. Please I hope no one takes offense to these pictures...I love all of your accents and words I just might not know them all. Deigh I was thinking of you when I found the NZ page but it looks like it is pronunciation. If it helps I am a real southern American with a twang and all. :shy:

7 hours ago, Deigh said:

Linnie,  the word bloke is not very down under, you would describe him as a 'Joker', his girlfriend would be his 'Shiela'

Deigh

Deigh, if my brother-in-law has a girlfriend, fair dinkum that I won't call him a joker!! LOL