•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

Benni

Bending my knee

31 posts in this topic

Janelle, I coped by grabbing onto Hubs shoulders while he walked down, backwards, in front of me. I was absolutely terrified!!

Wow! Again, kudos to you!

It is amazing what we can do when we have too!

I had no choice if l was going to get in the house after our trip to Cuba. It was the last 7 (out of 28) steps down to the house. There's no railing for those. After the way I gripped him, Hubs is going to remedy that.

On 21/04/2017 at 3:16 PM, becky1 said:

Heather, Up top, when you were explaing the bed exercise to Benni, what are you supposed to do with your unaffected leg? Leave it straight out front of you? Or join the affected one? Stay on the bed, but with the leg bent at the knee, and not straight out in front of you?   Becky

Sorry Becky, I'll try again.

Lie on the edge of the bed with your good leg on the bed out straight and your bad leg hanging off the bed with the knee bent and the foot on the floor. Now imagine you are getting into bed and you want that foot on the bed beside your good foot.  So you lift from the hip and use your hip abductors to bring the legs together. You want to end up with your good leg out straight and your bad foot on the bed beside your good knee with the leg still bent. now slide/push your bad foot down to be beside your good foot so you are lying straight on the edge of the bed. 

Then reverse it.  pull your bad foot along the bed until it is beside your good knee so you have the bad leg bent. now keeping the knee bent lift your foot until you have the foot level with your knee. Keeping that angle in the knee (preferably with the foot flexed) take the knee out over the edge of the bed and lower it until your foot is again on the floor (as slowly as you can, don't just let it fall), this uses hip abductors and quads.  Once you can do it prone you're ready to start trying it standing ie for stairs

Hope that's clearer

-Heather

10 hours ago, heathber said:

now slide/push your bad foot down to be beside your good foot so you are lying straight on the edge of the bed. 

Oh, I haven't been doing that part. Thanks for the clarification! 

Thanks, Heather, that clarified a lot. Becky