•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

Myjade

New medication

Has anyone taken Cymbalta? What are the pros and cons?

Hi Jan, it's Linnie.  I hadn't seen this post before now. 

If you're like me, you'll find it more useful to ask the doctor that is prescribing a medication, why he/she thinks it's the right one for you.  Also, your pharmacist is a great source of information.  Both your doctor and your pharmacist will know about any other medications you're on (make sure they know of any OTC's you use as well) and can determine if a new med will interact with any meds you're on now.

Hope this helps, Jan, take care.  :smile:

Hello

I was on Cymbalta in the hospital, 200mg a day for the first 6 weeks, the Dr told me that it helped with brain swelling, they said  had it not that after 2 weeks they would have removed part of my skull to reduce the swelling in my brain. I was weaned off of Cymbalta and have not used it in about 6 months

Hope this helps

sorry no :sorry:

Hi again, Jan.  

Edkel's explanation of Cymbalta makes it seem it might be used only in the acute phase to reduce brain swelling.  I was on medication too for this reason, because they couldn't do the first neuro-surgery until the swelling had reduced enough to make it a 50/50 chance.  I don't know what the medication was called.

Have you asked your doctor yet about this med?  Hope everything is going well for you!

I haven't used it although my wife does. When I had swelling in my brain during the coma they used mannitol to bring it down. I have heard that long term cymbalta use is known to have a rough discontinuation syndrome in some people, but your doctor is the best information source.