•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

SassyBetsy

She touched my leg

I felt fingernails scratching on my thigh and I awoke howling i pain. I screamed You touched my leg! at the cna who just stared at me expressionless. I sobbed uncontrolably because my leg felt like hot pokers raked across my leg. The burning continued and I felt betrayed by a cna who has cared for me during my nearly 2 yrs here. How could you?I sobbed and she said then are you done with your tray? Those dang blasted trays are hurriedly taken back up. I called complaining to everyone. How does this happen? Was it intentional? I was sitting up asleep over my tray. She touched my leg to keep me from falling in my plate she told supervisor. she claimed she forgot not to touch the leg. I asked the supervior. see me sitting here with my leg under table would you toch my shoulder or hand or or even my head anther appropriate area not a thigh. not my thigh that hurts in particular. 

There is bad blood with this cna anyway. But why did she do this? I think the old ones when I first came here doubt my condition.my need for drugs. for care. This one knows me. I reported to super that she knew. and she admitted she forgot.  but did she need to scratch on mjy thigh. the touch was wrong. there was no need to toch the leg to wake me. It is a lie. I said yes report to state this was abuse. Super said what about staff trainings instead of reporting to state that abuse occurred. I scoffed. This one cna knows me works with me. I said yes this was abuse. she caused me pain knowingly and for some reasons that follow. not believe I do have pain and want to test it. do not believe I pass out.

I said contact my neuro for staff training how to care for me.what my pain my vision my day is like.

Iam making big stink.

Then she calls police asking if I want to talk to them for report. I was in bathroom I said call ombudsman. I felt so pressured to just forget it. or go to other extreme. was the touch inappropriate in another way? I do not know what is in anothers mind. all we have are facts. I report it to ombudsman now. I am overwhelmed. It took hours to get pain down. I am a freak.

Why do they torment me?

Pam, my suggestion is to write an incident report of what happened.  This can just be a document with Incident Report written at the top, the date, your report and a place at the bottom for your signature and the supervisor's signature.  Make sure to include the date and sign it.  Ask the supervisor to acknowledge that you gave it to her by signing it.  Ask her to file it with the CNA's Employee Record.  Also, ask her to let the CNA know about the incident report and that you are now keeping written records of her abuse.  This should preclude her from additional abusive incidents.  If she refuses to do as you ask, then write an Incident Report saying so.  You should also make an Incident Report any time you feel you are abused by anybody.  The thing is to be smarter then them and not be a defenseless victim.  From my experience in management you will legally need at least 3, or more, reports to show a pattern of abuse.  Frankly, until you have written documentation about this problem I really don't think your Ombudsman will help you. 

Excellent suggestion, Steve.  I think I'd go a step further by asking for a copy. They may refuse on the grounds of confidentiality or   something. That's why I hope that at the top of a clean sheet of paper, you'll write the words 'Incident Reports", and list each one by date,

followed by brief notes on staff members involved, what happened, etc.

Before I read Steve's good idea, I was going to suggest that on paper, or poster board, you write something like "WARNING. DO NOT TOUCH ME ON MY THIGHS....CAUSES EXTREME PAIN", and attach over the head of your bed, where it can easily be seen. Good luck, Pam. Let usknow hows it goes.   

I am very saddened that you had to go through something like this. while the ombudsman idea may not be of any value,  it may in that he can try to understand why this person felt that she had to wake you in this manner.  if in fact she was testing you as you suspect she was and if she can admit that she was testing you (and I guess you passed!!) then the relationship between you and her - whom you are likely to encounter in your daily activities may not cause you the grief that it does and should do at present.

wishing you well pam in a situation that no one deserves and only the very few in it can understand.

kind regards

david

The admin came to see me today but I was too ill to talk and busy dealing with getting transportation set up for next week and getting case manager set up again at insurance comp. The universe solves one problem by handing you another priority. 

Thank you for suggestions.

I do have sign above bed to not touch leg and wake me for meds.

Based on this experiment no one sees it or reads. I have told all new people of course. This is old familiar one. 

The admin and I are not friendly. They want to cover stuff up. I contacted CA health dept when I have had complaints. you may file complaint online with licensing board for cna's. They have come out to interview me or talked to me by phone. It is confidential too so the admin cannot bully me into silence.

In this case administrators here made it clear they back their employee. as expected. and perhaps rightly.  But from this day forth......

yet I have said that before.

Two nurses are gone that I complained about. They quit for a reason perhaps not related.

But the systemis what it is.

One lonely voice in the desert.

Yup follys I guess I passed!

And I am not a vulnerable victim. I am Irish and always up for the challenge of a fight. But only ones I think I win and I document plenty. However I have found witnesses do not come forward and those who should prrotect do not. But I have nurses not allowed to treat me because I complained. 

Gosh I sound like a witch.

I do have nurses who come by hug hello if they not see me in a while. They know I am reasonable and yet assertive. I get exhausted but sometimes they see another's ways not good too. Other residents say so too.

Pam, You can ask the ombudsman, but I don't think that the nh can legally refuse to let you make an incident  report. And you want documentation in case this CNA ever does this to you, or another resident.  Without documentation like an incident report, there's no proof that you reported it, or that the incident ever occurred. Look at it as a CYA thing.  Becky   

ken27   

Pam I am so sorry that this happen to you. People just do not understand the pain we have. Was this done on purpose or a mistake, just not thinking either way you should never be touched that way. You may want to reach out for legal help, if anything to make sure it never happens again. I think documentation is the key, good luck to you. 

Thank you all for comments. I feel validated that this is worth documenting...making a fuss...in ways that promote this does not happen. Thank you from bottom of heart that this is important.

Update: CA state people came yesterday talked to staff. I was at the dentist. They will come back monday. I want the staff to educate my caregiver this is no jke. this touching hurts me and I want the world to hurry up learn about stroke pain aand this is not some spoiled hysteria drug seeking.  I need a documentary.

Apparently things hanging on walls (pictures, signs etc) are only noticed for two weeks then no more...

You need us to come sort it...we there, Pam.

update

That cna is not here now. She was fired for another complaint.

Thank you for support.