•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

Linnie

Trudeau tries cupping: Alternative health care

Totally uncertain why I find something gross and want to share it, lol)

In this week's CBC Health: Second Opinion newsletter:   

Trudeau tries cupping

empty.gif
When Prime Minister Justin Trudeau rolled up his sleeves for a casual interview on Monday, he shared more than he might have intended.

A series of large, round welts on his forearm revealed that he practices a form of alternative health known as “cupping.” The unproven therapy involves sticking suction cups on the skin and pulling, creating the tell-tale welts made famous by celebrities like Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps and actress Gwyneth Paltrow.

It was discouraging news for Timothy Caulfield, a University of Alberta professor who does research debunking procedures like cupping. “It was just days after the March on Science by the leader of a government that has declared it is a strong supporter of science. For me that was very disappointing in a symbolic way.”

Trudeau’s office would only confirm that yes, he gets cupping therapy. They refused to say why.

The idea is that the suction from cupping will draw blood into an injured area and this will somehow provide relief and speed healing. “There is no good science to back up the many claims of benefit associated with cupping,” Caulfield said.  “It’s just a big hickey, let’s face it.”

“Justin Trudeau can do whatever he wants with his body. But it creates a tolerance for  pseudo-science. Just the mere exposure to this in popular culture helps to legitimize it and keep it alive.”

Caulfield has tried cupping himself as part of his research. He said it hurt a little bit. And it left a mark.

“One thing I find interesting is that the people who get cupping done love to show their cupping marks,” Caulfield said, sending us a photo of his own. Ouch!
empty.gif
Tim Caulfield cupping marks
Timothy Caulfield

I actually tried cupping probably once.  My back looked like that picture!  :blowing-bubblegum:

My brain cannot handle pictures of many things. I now know that cupping pictures is one of them!

I make it a point to avoid voodoo medicine unless I have my chicken bones handy.

Get eating your Kentucky duck then Scott...I swear by needling!! You should try it!!

they were doing that at the past Olympics . I would do it

If you do the cupping, Kelli, please let us know if you found it helpful?  (And no pictures of it please, lol).  :wink:

NO NO NO.      

How many times do I have to say it?          

NO NO NO. 

OUCH 

You got it, Donna!  Must hurt, and doesn't look great!  Drawing A Smiley Smiley Face, Emoticon

Cupping has no science backing it up. But dry needling does and as Janelle says it works wonders!

Heather, are you and Janelle referring to acupuncture?  I've never used it, but have heard it can really help!  :smile:

Deigh   

I called on a Chinese herbalist locally to discuss what he could do for my speech muscles using acupuncture. He did not answer me directly but invited me to be examined. He found several painful points around the back of my neck and used cupping to relieve them. He said that they probably were the result of concussion in the past and were the cause of my stroke ....which is rubbish...but I put up with half an hour of discomfort and even pain while he did his thing. Since then I have found that it is easier for me to look over my shoulder, something that was quite difficult before.

I havn't gone back to him 

Deigh

19 hours ago, Deigh said:

He found several painful points around the back of my neck and used cupping to relieve them.

Wow, Deigh, you take chances!!  Glad it worked for you....Laughing Clapping Smiley 

On 9/10/2017 at 8:48 PM, heathber said:

Hi Lin, Dry needling is not acupuncture although it uses the same type of needles.  Here's a link that explains quite well. http://www.physicaltherapyfirst.com/services/dryneedling/

My neuro physio uses it to turn off spacticity when he doesn't have time for a deep tissue massage.

Thank you so much, Heather!  I had never heard of this, but the link you gave me was so great!  Easy to understand, and I see the PT's desire to give you multi-dimensional treatment....you've got a great PT!   Thumbs Up Approve Smiley Face, Emoticon 

yes he's pretty special. Not just for this stuff. He effectively heads my therapy team and teaches both me and my gym supervisors, so I get the best outcome.  Even though the GP would traditionally be the team lead here. While she's very good at what she does she is not a stroke expert.