Texas

smallory

My city is Killeen! My hometown is Houston in the Acres Home addition. Should any of you plan a get together, please include me. I drive and scooter around these days.

Those who don't drive, I'll pick you up.

I live in Houston - since it is a huge metro area, specifically, we reside in northwest Houston. We are not too far from Jersey Village, Tomball, Kingwood, Humble and other neighboring northwest communities.

Blessings,

Hera

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I live in northwest Harris County, near Houston, and don't drive far. As well as being a survivor I am caregiver for my father-in-law, who had a stroke two years ago, 4 1/2 years for me.

There is interest at Houston Northwest Medical Center working to start a support group. Judging by the posts so far this could be a large group. Hospital switchboard 281-440-1000, on the web www.hnmc.com

• 9 months later...

Hi everyone. I'm Kathy. I just want to let you all know about the the West Houston Stroke Warrior meeting every Saturday, 10:30 - Noon in the lunchroom - it's a fairly big room - in the Outpatient Rehab Suite @ 12606 West Houston Center Blvd. The outpatient suite is closed, so we have the run of the lunchroom. Right now, we can't use the equipment, but we're working towards building a fund to pay for a therapist to be on premise while we DO use it.

TIRR does something like that down in the medical center -- but you know the Medical Center parking and distance, etc.

The Outpatient Suite is located on West Houston Center Blvd which runs between the Westpark Tollway/Alief-Clodine & Westheimer, parallel to and between Dairy Ashford and Kirkwood. The building is located BEHIND West Houston Medical Center which is at 12141 Richmond Ave. We're not supposed to give personal information here -- but if you call the hospital and ask for someone to talk with you about Stroke Warriors - they'll get you to me. The hospital phone number is 281-558-3444. Plans for next week, Jan. 26 are that we have the coordinator from Fort Bend Volunteer Center coming to talk with us about volunteer opportunities in the community that can be adjusted for people with challenges. It should be lot of give and take.

We believe in giving back to the community and a couple of us live in Fort Bend County. We've asked the Harris County Volunteer Center to come and maybe this summer they'll find time for us.

AND.....then we're going to a park in a couple more weeks - that's our first trip together and we're looking to go to Galveston soon. But we gotta do small stuff first.

WARRIORS and caregivers are welcome. Caregivers learn a lot. They also get to make the coffee and pass out the creamer, etc. Help with straws -- you know. Somtimes we just hang and play games.

So just put this in the back of your brain. We're friendly and warm. Like hugs and respectful of those that don't. Guess I've chatted on long enough here. :happy new yea: :happy new yea:

i moved but still in texas now am in wills point, the blue bird capital, just a few miles from tawakoni state park.

• 1 month later...

i'm in Austin! is there anyone else near austin?

--kim

Hi Kathy Just wondering when your group might be going to Galvelston

I'll be in HOU most of April at my sister's

Shrelives in Seabrooke cclose to NASA just off they have a groc store in Galvelston

Just thought I'd check if it might be in Apr that would be cool

Susan

• 1 year later...

Any members with vacation plans to visit Central Texas (Austin, Killeen, Waco, Ft Hood) let me know, maybe we can get together if you have the time! My time will be your time even for Houston and San Antonio.

Would love to meet up where ever you choose! Let me know and I will PM you my cell number.

If you live in Texas and would like to meet with me, just let me know, I'm retired with time on my side! I can travel to your city too. :notworking: :fishing1: :type: :scooter:

Hey Ruth my sister and I plan on coming to Houston (our hometown) next week some time or another, no definitely day yet to see our 86 year old brother and one of her doctors in the Medical Center.

She lived on 1960 and I-45, my brother lives on Little York and N. Shepard (Acres Home/Lincoln City) also north Houston close to the park-N-Ride facility.

I'm very familiar with Houston so I can send you a PM of my cell number and you can give me your address, I have a key map, of where you and William would like to meet me. The mall right by you is good or IHOP right on the corner of 1960 is okay with me.

Don't forget to PM me with your availability! See Ya there! I'm retired, I'm very flexible now!

• 5 months later...

Hi,

My name is Ann and my husband had a massive stroke almost two years ago. After much denial, anger and frustration, I am now willing to admit that our lives have changed. I need all of the help I can get. We live in Austin.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

I had planned a member meeting member since June 09. With Ruth and William near Houston, well yesterday we finally got to meet at their home. We had a wonderful meeting and inspirational talking. I loved meeting them and I think I encouraged William so much that he plans now on reading the message board more. Maybe even saying a few words from time to time.

If he does, I know then that he will not give up trying to get better. He hasn't been recovering very long compared to me but he was amazed how enthused I was about stroke recovery. Especially driving and appreciating just being alive as a survivor. I know he won't ever give up plus his sweet wife Ruth wouldn't let that happen.

She's behind him 100% in his recovery. It takes a strong care giver to make a survivor better.

After William get a bit better they plan on coming to Killeen/Ft Hood to visit me and my wife. I can take him to the senior center for a workout.

So Bill, I'll be on the lookout for you and Ruth one day soon! :pepper: :scooter:

:Clap-Hands: That is wonderful news!

I haven't been here in awhile - last year, I had a colostomy, and earlier this year, my husband had heart bypass surgery.

We live in northwest Houston, though. I am very happy to hear of this visit you were able to make here, Fred! I hope that William - Bill - does get to the computer a little bit more.

Blessings to all,

Sheri/Hera

• 3 months later...

i'm in Austin! is there anyone else near austin?

--kim

I'm in Austin too..northwest out near St. edwards park...

• 1 month later...

Hi, I live just west of fort worth. tried to go to support group out in Weatherford a year ago but was the only person to show up - no facilitator or anything so I decided I must be the only survivor out here - surely not!

• 1 year later...

I am caregiver for my wife Laura. Her stroke was January 5, 2002; her 59th birthday. Her stroke affected several different areas of her brain and she temporarily lost sight in both eyes. She had to have some speech and motor skills rehabilitation, but is mostly a full funtioning person today. She still has bouts of depression with crying fits. It's very frustrating for me.

i am now in irving, just outside of dallas. my stroke was 1-02 affecting my left side, i don't drive but i can get transportation for a get together.

• 11 months later...
Guest BarbV

I live in Cleburne,Texas....Johnson County: that be south of Fort Worth and southwest of Dallas (Cleburne would make the bottom of the triangle

We do have a support group and can contact us on FaceBook or email at Strokehopes@yahoo.com

i am now back in my home town of fort worth, the wedgewood area, the same area i grew up in.

I live in Cleburne,Texas....Johnson County: that be south of Fort Worth and southwest of Dallas (Cleburne would make the bottom of the triangle

We do have a support group and can contact us on FaceBook or email at Strokehopes@yahoo.com

I am back online...have had terrible miscommunication with my head...thanks Kanderson for your kind helpI knew I was entering my user name and password correctly...only in the wrong place, regardless I'm back as BarbForHope.

I missed while I was off because when you have a thirst and find a flowing stream, you want to drink all you can.

As I said previously...we do have a support group here in Johnson County and anyone in surrounding area is more than welcome to join us! You can nmessage me here, face book - Stroke Hopes or StrokeHopes@yahoo.com. Hope we hear from you!