•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

Mark

Hello to all

11 posts in this topic

My name is Mark and I had a stroke on 12-29-2015 on the right side of my brain affecting my left side. Spent 4 days in the Hospital and another 14 days in a rehab hospital. At first I had no movement on my left side some movement has returned I can use my left arm/hand and walk with a limp. I'm not happy with not getting back to 100 percent or at least as close as possible. Very happy that I've found this site I have already read some other folks post and I have some of the same problems. Thank everyone for being here I'm sure I will be asking for advice on treatment, exercises  and no telling what else lol. Would be glad to let anyone know what all I've tried to get better and maybe give them some new ideas. Thanks

Mark, welcome! You are so lucky to spend such a short time in the hospital/rehab! I was in for a little over 3 months before I could go home. You're also lucky to have movement return so quickly! I still can barely move my arm/fingers and I still need a quad cane to walk with -- although shakily.

I'm a firm believer in exercises. Maybe you can ask your PT for some or scour the internet, there's many reliable sites out there. The trick is to do them more than once a day, preferably up to 3 times a day.

Hope you are successful in more progress in the coming months.

Thanks I do look over the internet a lot and I think this site will be great. I did buy a lot of exercise equipment for my hand and arm nothing real expensive but as I'm typing this its with my right hand everything is still a big work in progress. Due to my insurance I lost my PT about 8 months ago been working on my own so really happy to find y'all. I do feel for u 3 months in a hospital would not be pleasant. I do have to use a cane at night or if I'm going to walk very far just get to tired to be safe. I have not recovered enough to return to work but as everyone that has been through this all we can do is push forward. Thanks for being there.

Mark, I had my stroke just a few weeks before you, just before Xmas to be exact. Most affected were my right hand/arm, right leg and voice. There were several other damaged parts too, but these were the main ones.

They had me out of hospital after three days probably because I was planning to upgrade the hydraulics on the beds and was ready to modify the wheel around blood pressure device. At least that is what my Grandkids claim.

Welcome to the site. My walking is not too bad and thanks to hard work am now able to play guitar and keyboards, though rather badly. My talking is still unsatisfactory although I can be understood. 

Deigh

Edited by Deigh

Mark, I'm so happy that you were able to see some of the same issues. Yeah all in all it stinks but it's such a great feeling to know how you feel isn't just you.

:hi:Hi Mark, and welcome to StrokeNet.  I'm sorry that I won't be able to help you much; my impairments were all cognitive.  But you're so right about this site.  You're going to meet members with similar concerns, and they'll give you very helpful advice.  Support for stroke survivors is abundant here.  Very glad you joined!  

Mark, Hi, and Welcome to Strokenet! Sounds like you're working hard at recovery, and doing well.  We're here whenever you have a question, things are going well, or not so good, or you want to share an accomplishment. Just come here, and let us know what you need. We'll try to accommodate.   Becky

Mark,

First of all, welcome to Stroke Network.  

Yes, recovery is slow, but it IS an on-going process.  Example:  I can not feel the top button hole, on a dress shirt.  Daughter was getting married, wanted me to give her away.....only if I wore a suit.  That meant a suit and tie.  Fifteen years after my stroke, I finally buttoned the top button.  Yea, it might have taken me 45 minutes, but I did it.

Yes, you will see progress, but it will be slow.  And, unfortunately, at times, you will hit a plateau.  Don't give up, persevere.

My stroke (June 26, 1998) wasn't that severe, so I don't experience all of the issues that you do.  I have numbness on the whole left side,  a feeling that I associate with the numbness that one feels after a shot of Novocaine, and a slight limp.

Peruse the Message Board, post a blog, and visit chat.   

hi mark

welcome

please share your many ideas about recovery

I am in so cal and try and sit or walk outside all the time i feel up to it. 

lonliness kills so try and connect

It's nice to meet you Mark. I'm glad that you have seen such improvements in your recovery. This is a great sight both for information and connection to others who have experienced and understand what you did and are going through. Please let me know if I could be of any help on this site and i will do my best or find someone who can. Best of wishes.

Hi Mark,

Let me add my 2¢ and welcome you to an outstanding site; please make yourself at home!

:smile: