•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

lpineau

Feeling Invisible?

5 posts in this topic

I've noticed that some stroke survivors feel uncomfortable at any gathering of people that had been a large part of their lives, for the same reason I had been uncomfortable many years ago.  It seems that we go through a phase of feeling invisible.  I don't know if it's our own perception of ourselves as not fitting in or that we feel less important to the group.

I just happened upon an article entitled "What to Do When You Feel Invisible" which was written by Deepak Chopra, MD, FACP, and when I started reading it I thought it was very general; but soon discovered it addresses a number of the problems stroke survivors face, especially with family and friends.

If you're interested in reading this article, you can find it at

http://www.oprah.com/inspiration/feeling-overlooked-invisible          :blushing:

Hi Linnie,

Great article!

I've noticed that with me, I still get very uncomfortable in social situations. Part of it is lousy balance, (Food buffets are a nightmare) and the other part is kind of like a sensory overload of sorts.

I am getting better at joining in on conversations, and when I'm feeling okay I get pretty determined.  I feel I have just as much right as anybody else to be there.

Having 'said' that, I tend to feel more comfortable among people who are disabled in any way. :smile:

Good article! I have felt left out, in friendships, since I came home last August. A lady, whom I thought of as my best friend, came to visit a week after I got home. Haven't seen her since. She works 3 days a week, lives one mile from me -- but she's always "busy".

Hubs aunt, a retired RN whom I love dearly, visits at least monthly. She's very active but makes time for me. Ironically, Hub's ex-wife has visited quite often and we've become good friends. She owns/runs a popular greenhouse in this area and is swamped -- she's made time for me.

My side of the family lives in the USA but we all are in contact via email and Facebook.

Now I sound like 'woe is me' -- sorry.

Thanks Lin!  I hate feeling uncomfortable.  I don't go out unless I have to.  Please add the article to the News section. 

Can do, Steve...:hi: