•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

I've noticed that some stroke survivors feel uncomfortable at any gathering of people that had been a large part of their lives, for the same reason I had been uncomfortable many years ago.  It seems that we go through a phase of feeling invisible.  I don't know if it's our own perception of ourselves as not fitting in or that we feel less important to the group.

I just happened upon an article entitled "What to Do When You Feel Invisible" which was written by Deepak Chopra, MD, FACP, and when I started reading it I thought it was very general; but soon discovered it addresses a number of the problems stroke survivors face, especially with family and friends.

If you're interested in reading this article, you can find it at

http://www.oprah.com/inspiration/feeling-overlooked-invisible          :blushing:

Hi Linnie,

Great article!

I've noticed that with me, I still get very uncomfortable in social situations. Part of it is lousy balance, (Food buffets are a nightmare) and the other part is kind of like a sensory overload of sorts.

I am getting better at joining in on conversations, and when I'm feeling okay I get pretty determined.  I feel I have just as much right as anybody else to be there.

Having 'said' that, I tend to feel more comfortable among people who are disabled in any way. :smile:

Benni   

Good article! I have felt left out, in friendships, since I came home last August. A lady, whom I thought of as my best friend, came to visit a week after I got home. Haven't seen her since. She works 3 days a week, lives one mile from me -- but she's always "busy".

Hubs aunt, a retired RN whom I love dearly, visits at least monthly. She's very active but makes time for me. Ironically, Hub's ex-wife has visited quite often and we've become good friends. She owns/runs a popular greenhouse in this area and is swamped -- she's made time for me.

My side of the family lives in the USA but we all are in contact via email and Facebook.

Now I sound like 'woe is me' -- sorry.

Thanks Lin!  I hate feeling uncomfortable.  I don't go out unless I have to.  Please add the article to the News section. 

Can do, Steve...:hi: