•  

Weaver53

Is anxiety a common issue after stroke?

Helllo weaver

Wsa your husbands anxiety very bad at first? 

Cussing after a stroke is not uncommon.  Apparently, one explanation is that it is "automatic" speech.  Check it out - Google "cussing after stroke." 

Hello smallory

Do you know how long that the worst of the anxiety last? 

It depends of the treatment you receive.  Some stroke survivors don't seek treatment.  They are too embarrassed to talk about it with others. 

In my case, I sought help from a psychiatrist almost immediately.  She recommended an anti-depressant.  The problem is that I had to take it for almost 6 weeks until the full affects happened.  Unfortunately, that particular anti-depressant did not help me.  I went back to my psychiatrist and she prescribed another anti-depressant.  Again, I had to wait 6 weeks.  This time, the different anti-depressant slowly was working.  It worked very gradual but I felt more and more improvement.  It took maybe 8 - 12 weeks before I no longer felt anxiety. 

If you go this route I strongly recommend that you let a psychiatrist and not a doctor treat you.  

Thank you very much. I am to see a neuropsychologist Thursday 

I had know idea that a stroke could affect your brain this way

Again I reallydo appreciate your reply

Havintg Aphasia, as well a stutterer, I find curse words come out so easy. I am not a fan of using them personally but they fill the gaps when my brain freezes up