•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

JoeGuinn

I Had a Stroke I Didn't Fall Def!

8 posts in this topic

There aren't to many light subjects about my stroke, but one thing that sticks out immediately is how people's octave changes once they are told I had a stroke. They feel like they must yell at me like I "deffed" out....lol. I'm like please stop hollering at me. I had a stroke!

As a general rule I will ask someone to speak more quietly or slower if necessary. Raised voices are a trigger for over-stimulation with me. If they comply then I can regain my composure and we can proceed. If they continue being too loud they get to see me put in my earplugs. Some get offended but the people who know me understand the situation and appreciate that I have a different set of processing abilities than they do.

I have had that happen, too, Joe.  I get a kick out of it!  :lol:

On 6/11/2017 at 10:02 AM, scottm said:

As a general rule I will ask someone to speak more quietly or slower if necessary. Raised voices are a trigger for over-stimulation with me. If they comply then I can regain my composure and we can proceed. If they continue being too loud they get to see me put in my earplugs. Some get offended but the people who know me understand the situation and appreciate that I have a different set of processing abilities than they do.

Scott, I also have over stimulation with sound especially if it is unorganized like crowded room noise.  I have a damaged right ear from the stroke.  My technique in controlling over stimulation is just putting an ear plug in the damaged ear.  In this way, I can still enjoy social interaction rather than shutting down completely with ear plugs in both ears. With the bad ear, for sure, I am experiencing central auditory issues.  

It's so great that you have a sense of humor about it, Joe!  If you know which visitors will speak loudly to you, you may want to invest in a whoopee cushion....:wink:

Hi Jan, it could certainly be part of your stroke effects. I used to get overpowered by smells when I had a migraine. I'd be aware of a truck going past the end of the street not from the sound but from the fumes, smells are much harder to hide from than light and sound.

Good luck with it.

Going back to Joe's topic.  That reaction is like what some people do in a foreign country its as if they think if they just talk loudly enough in English the person who doesn't speak English will understand them. Or people talk down to you in their "little girl" voice. As in You had a stroke, therefore you've lost your "marbles".  When my "marbles" are just fine thanks

:grrrrr:

Aaaahhhhh....yet another topic we all 'get'....

that is so true and so funny.. I do tell folks to talk to me like a toddler can handle ( short sweet and to the point) but don't talk down to me like a toddler:lol: