•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

I enjoy writing and at the moment am writing a blood and thunder novel. I do it to keep my mind busy when unable to sleep. I just keep going over and over a chapter getting it all correct but don't actually commit it to writing till I have time during the day to do it.

A couple of months ago I found a problem with the story and couldn't solve it. I thought I might have to abandon the book, but last night I had an epiphany and thought I'd share it with you all.

My book concerns castaways on a French controlled island in the Pacific. It also is about buried pirate treasure ..........but ...... there is no such place in today's world. The French have no colonies I can find in places where pirates could have existed and my story lacks sincerity.

Then I realised that many of the films I watch are science fiction where goodies are involved fighting baddies in star systems that don't exist, most of the police drama TV programs have computer operators who can do facial recognition world wide, find a DNA in a few seconds, locate a person instantly even when their phone is switched off and do all sorts of other marvelous things including entering data at a speed that would cause a keyboard to burst into flames.

So why should I worry if my book is unrealistic?

Deigh

All works of fiction contain fictional elements, or they wouldn't be "friction" at all- they'd be autobiographies, biographies, or, in the case of film, documentaries. All works of fiction ask you to suspend disbelief for a second, and "see" what the writer has dreamed.So, it's JMO, but I don't think that you have to be accurate with every single thing, unless you're writing non-fiction.  It's important to write a story in which all details and characters blend together to make a "good read". Becky

Yes suspension of disbelief is a key part of story telling. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.  It sounds like your story belongs in an historical setting rather than Sci Fi.  Don't let it worry you too much. I've read some pretty unbelievable "historical fiction" that was quite enjoyable, even if I did occasionally go "WHAT!"  You're writing for your own enjoyment, so embrace the quirks, and have fun.

Yes, I think I may have been taking an author's responsibility clause too seriously. Will continue writing and throw in a few more unsubstantiated facts, I might even give my hero super powers while I'm at it.

Deigh

16 hours ago, heathber said:

Yes suspension of disbelief is a key part of story telling. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. 

I submit for your entertainment - Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter:crazy:

Hi Scott, Have you read "Lincoln in the Bardo" By George Saunders.  I've only just started it. It's a bunch of ghosts in "limbo" watching Abraham Lincoln mourn his son.

There is always Oak Island which has many claims to pirate treasure put there by everyone. Granted it is in the Canadian Atlantic. I've been following the history of that island since the 60's when I first red about it in a Readers Digest.

Well, I've certainly got everyone's interest in buried treasure. My first book is Sci-fi and nobody wants to buy it. I thought of wring a book about crime but that is well covered in the market already. I thought of writing about sex but I don't know enough about it (hee hee). I wrote a medical book about asthma and no-one wanted that one. I've written one about my life but that is only for family. Already in this forum are four prospective customers for my latest and they are all expecting me to tell lies........... 

Deigh

:hmmmm:

There's an Oak Island,NC,too. I wonder what would happen if they now found out that everyone has been going to the wrong Oak Island....

:lol:Becky

On 17/06/2017 at 6:11 AM, Deigh said:

Already in this forum are four prospective customers for my latest and they are all expecting me to tell lies........... 

We are at least approaching your story with several grains of salt.  Let us know when you finish it :)

Deigh I think I would enjoy anything you write. You have a way with words. Please do let us know when you finish it.

Thanks Tracy, but finishing it is not part of the plan. The sci-fi book got finished because everything had been told. The Asthma book got finished because it was a definite target. My present writing is only to occupy time made vacant by sleeplessness. I can't think why I got involved in worrying that the basic plan was faulty!  Perhaps that is why many books get written, someone writes a quick thesis and then adds to it and gradually a whole tome is created. At the moment my memoirs are just purely for the family but you never know!

Deigh 

My daughter hates it when a good book ends, even if there's no more to tell.

Her latest is To Kill a Mockingbird. 

My point, Deigh, is just keep writing. 

We all need to do what keeps us going...