•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

scottm

Met my new neurologist a couple days ago

First let me say that all of you who despite my cynicism told me that I should openly discuss my pain with the new doctor were right. Thanks!

Now to the tale...We actually got called back to the examination room exactly on time, weird I know, but a portent of what was to come. He showed up in the examination room while the nurse was still getting vitals and asking questions. He proceeded to start the exam with my stroke history, meanwhile his nurse is still asking questions about my medications. She finally left and he proceeded to ask more questions related to his previous questions trying to get more details and faster. I finally just folded and asked him to stop, that I was very confused and needed a moment to compose myself. Sounds like he was harsh doesn't it? I thought so too then he began dictating to his computer that he had been testing my cognition, my ability to communicate my memories, my ability to speak and  and process information. He said he wanted to test me while I wasn't prepared to see how well I functioned.

After that it was much slower and I was allowed to set the pace. We discovered I can't walk heel to toe without risk of falling nor walk on my heals, roadside sobriety checks are out for sure. He did a complete physical check of my nervous system, heat, cold, touch, pinpricks, strength, reflexes, you name it. He spent about an hour and a half with me. Never had such a complete exam. He had looked at my MRI's and CT's and pronounced that based on my hospital records he wouldn't have expected me to survive and that I did and am as functional as I am is something he can't explain, I shouldn't be walking and talking based on the damage done. Then came the question I had dreaded, "what can I do for you?"

I'd already mentioned the pain and cold sensitivity and he had bumped up the temperature before we uncovered my right side. I asked if there was anything he could do for the almost constant pain and his response was "make it stop?" I said yes, he said no. BUT, would diminishing it some be a solution I was open to? Yes. That we can do. So they are now slowly taking me off the nortriptyline (he said it didn't work on CPS very well) and I spend the next 8 weeks titrating up on lamotrigine to see how I respond. Unlike the last neuro he says there are still several options to try. So, long story short, I think we got a winner in this fellow.

p.s. - Another reason he said he wanted me off the nortriptyline was that it causes urinary retention and it would be embarrassing to be the doctor who prescribed something that caused a patient to need to be catheterized in the ER in the middle of the night when there were other solutions.:lol:

2 hours ago, scottm said:

He showed up in the examination room while the nurse was still getting vitals and asking questions.

Do you know what kind of doctor he is?  What is his background in pain management? 

He spent about an hour and a half with me. Never had such a complete exam.

I love when doctors spend time doing a thorough exam on me.  It's very rare! 

I spend the next 8 weeks titrating up on lamotrigine to see how I respond.

Interesting - check out what WebMD says about this drug. 

I think we got a winner in this fellow.

Cool beans!  I'm happy for you, buddy!

cool_beans_sm.png

Hi Steve,

He is a board certified neurologist and according to my primary very well regarded in the Tampa area. She sent me to him specifically because of my CPS. I'd looked up the medication and know that one thing to watch out for is a sudden rash, doctor said if one appears to call his office immediately. The other side effects sound like my everyday medication effects.:smile:

7 minutes ago, scottm said:

He is a board certified neurologist and according to my primary very well regarded in the Tampa area. She sent me to him specifically because of my CPS.

Excellent!  I can empathize with how much pain you have been in.  Also, the extreme discomfort of cold temperatures.  Good luck, please keep us posted. 

I was on Lacmital to deal with chronic dizziness.  It helped with the imbalance issues.  The side effect is that it made me feel a little edgy which is a known side effect.  The 2nd physician told me to ween off Lamtical and switched to Neurotin as my issue was central vestibular disorder.  As I understand, Lacmital is anti-seizure medication but used for pain and mood disorders.  

It is great that you went to see a Neurologist who projects confidence.  I hope that the treatment would give you relief.

Finally! A doc who seems to know his stuff, and care about the patient! Sounds like a winner to me. More importantly, soun:bouncing-for-joy:ds like he may be able to actually help you. HOORAY!!:bouncing-for-joy:   BECKY

Scott that is absolutely great news. A good, caring Doctor that listens and his goal is you as a patient is rare. He does seem like he is very knowledgeable and I know that having a Doctor give you possibilities instead of overlooking or avoiding means so much. I'm so happy for you Scott. You know of course that we all want to know how things are going. 

Scott, I imagine you are feeling a great relief at finding someone who understands and LISTENS! Happy for you! :humming:

So, so glad for you Scott!  Finally, some hope....after reading some of your previous posts where you mentioned CPS, I always wondered how you managed to cope with it.  :happy:

I tried a SNRI similar to a SSRI based on promises but I was weaned off as soon as it proved ineffecive because no need  to continue with something not helping. But it made me mellow and not complaining about pain! But pain was same.

I had another RFA and it took eedge off enabling me to walk more and makes meds work longer.

I think you found a doc with some experience and bedside manner!! Congrats!!

Keep hope and searching.

I too have non stop pain in my leg various kinds of pain.I keep log now after third RFA I found great relief constantly now but will this too wear off?

But there are things to try and find what is right for you so I am glad you have found voice and a wee bit of trust