•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

tonibreau

innaproprate?

10 posts in this topic

if this post doesn't belong here. i apologize. i was asked why don't i compete in the special olympics? i don't know why. but i was really insulted by this. maybe it's because i am focused on healing. maybe it's because physical disability is different. i don't know. any thoughts on this?

I would feel insulted, too. You're right to focus on your healing -- very important! Anything I've seen about special olympics seems to be focused on young people overcoming their disabilities and moving forward. We are trying to re-learn things we've always known -- quite the struggle indeed!

holy cow. I would totally feel insulted. I hope the person who said that to you meant it without ignorance. Just meaning because you are 'handicapped'. I would explain to that person that I'm so they are so misinformed about the many different types of disabilities. But I'm glad you are moving forward like Benni said.  

I went to a stroke support group for a while after I got out of rehab, and one of our guest speakers spoke about equine therapy, (riding horses) and if/when the survivor was ready, to consider the Special Olympics.  Most of us were initially shocked; she spoke about the games not being only for the mentally challenged. It's unfortunate that that's what most people think of because that part of it makes the news; there's really so much more.

:smile:

Just now, smarshall said:

she spoke about the games not being only for the mentally challenged. It's unfortunate that that's what most people think of because that part of it makes the news; there's really so much more.

I always understood it to be for physically challenged. Had no idea it was for mentally challenged.

Hi, It's nice to meet you.  

Because of my volunteer work, I know that the Paralympic Games are for the physically challenged.  Special Olympics are definitely for the intellectually challenged.  

Can I suggest you consider who asked you why you don't compete in the Special Olympics....If it was an individual who is intellectually challenged, I can assure you that it was not an intentional insult.  Otherwise, chalk it up to ignorance; unfortunately, a problem that stroke survivors are constantly facing.

Bravo to you for keeping your focus on overcoming your post-stroke challenges!  :smile:

I think that it depends on the person's intent.  If the person sincerely thought that a challenge would help you, then just chalk it up to a person who meant well but it is just does not work for you. If the person was being sarcastic, then the person is a douchebag.  For myself, I am challenged everyday with dizziness and vertigo.  So, I looked at Neuro Physical therapy like training for the Olympics.  It is hard work because it makes you nauseous.  So, if  a person told me that I should train for Special Olympics, I would have taken it as encouragement.  Also, there are strokes that effect executive, emotional and cognitive thinking so for those survivors, Special Olympics may be a place for them.

Toni, When I first read this person's comment, I was angered, but, on reflection, I think that it was made by an ignorant (as in unaware, misinformed) person, who lumps all people who are different from the norm into 1 category, and fails to even notice, or care, that there are differences between them. Idon't know if the remark was unkinly- I  think that depends on the context , or the circumstances at the time that the remark was made.  Becky

Linnie,  I had no idea regarding the different Olympics.  that is good information to have in case someone else creates a statement again, now we will be prepared how to respond.  I believe many comments are probably made to help.  Due to lack of knowledge or understanding they say the wrong thing.  As it were, I did not know the differentiation and strokes are all so individualized.    Sorry, new member, that put you in this position.

On 6/17/2017 at 10:43 PM, becky1 said:

Toni, When I first read this person's comment, I was angered, but, on reflection, I think that it was made by an ignorant (as in unaware, misinformed) person, who lumps all people who are different from the norm into 1 category, and fails to even notice, or care, that there are differences between them. Idon't know if the remark was unkinly- I  think that depends on the context , or the circumstances at the time that the remark was made.  Becky

Offending people was certainly not my intent.  Misinformation is misinformation.