•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

Benni

Quick question - bathtubs

Benni   

What's the best way to get in/out of a bathtub -- bad leg in first, or good leg?

I always go bad leg first and hold onto the handrail, keeps me stable, the handrail is my friend and has saved me several times.

Benni   

Thanks Scott! I do the same for the shower stall. So, I guess it's the same for stepping over and into a bathtub. Just wanted to be sure.  :smile:

Depending on your comfort level you can put a seat in the tub then use that to kneel down into the water. I also used it to get up when it was time to get out for a while until I was sure I could get myself out of my turtle position.

Benni   

Oh, I still will shower. We have a shower stall but a friend (whom we might visit soon) has a bathtub/shower. I'll be taking my shower chair with me. I just wasn't sure about stepping over a tub versus a couple inches into a stall.

Deigh   

A while ago before my stroke Valerie and I had a house built and delivered to my son's property near Waiuku NZ. Came the great day when we moved in but I'd had problems with an injury to my right shoulder and had a lot of pain and weakness in it. Not only was there a shower but also a bath installed and I thought it would do my shoulder a lot of good to have a bath.  It was lovely, a bit tight because there was not a lot of room to spare and the bath was a bit small but very pleasant.

Then came the problem of getting out. The only hand holds were on the right hand side and my right arm was useless. The left side of the bath joined the wall so there was not even the bath edge to hold. Valerie was called in to help but by this time we were both convulsed with laughter and what strength I had trickled away. We had terrible thoughts of having to call in the fire service but managed by draining the water away and turning over, then I could get my knees under me and lever myself into a sitting position. It didn't help at this stage to get cramp in my leg and that took priority.

It was a long time before I had another bath in that house!

Deigh

I have a bathtub shower stall, with lots of handrails,my husband installed, when I get in and out I always go with my good leg first, while always holding on to a handrail. Sally

Benni   
1 hour ago, Deigh said:

Then came the problem of getting out. The only hand holds were on the right hand side and my right arm was useless. The left side of the bath joined the wall so there was not even the bath edge to hold. Valerie was called in to help but by this time we were both convulsed with laughter and what strength I had trickled away. We had terrible thoughts of having to call in the fire service but managed by draining the water away and turning over, then I could get my knees under me and lever myself into a sitting position. It didn't help at this stage to get cramp in my leg and that took priority.

It was a long time before I had another bath in that house!

Deigh

Oh my! What a dilemma! Even though you were probably a scared mess at the time, I find this somewhat humorous!!  :big-grin:

Benni   

Sally, when I get into the shower stall, I put my bad leg in first, sit down, then bring in my good one. I may try it both ways to find my comfort zone.

I would assume the same rule as going down stairs applies so bad leg goes over first as you should be able to trust the good leg to hold you until the bad one is firmly planted

Benni   

Heather, I was thinking the same thing last night. Thanks!!

Yep, I'd go with the good leg to heaven (bath) and bad leg hell (getting out).

to be totally honest I'd prefer you not to use a bath at all Benni. Please ensure you don't try and get in and out on your own.

Benni   

We are moving soon and it has a tub/shower. I will only be taking a shower. We're installing grab bars too. I'll be careful for sure! :humming:

:hug:Thank you Benni!

Glad to hear about the grab rails!

Benni   
20 minutes ago, GreenQueen said:

Glad to hear about the grab rails!

:hug: back at ya!!

Benni   

OK, we are all moved and I bought a grab bar for the tub. Tried getting affected leg in first but I can't lift it high enough to get over the tub edge. Then I tried getting in with  good leg first, bad leg too wobbly to hold me up. I even tried sitting on the side of the tub and swinging my legs over -- no go. The tub is small in length and the grab bar (connected to the side of tub) is in the way for me to swing legs over it. Looks like rag baths for me from now on.

Hi Benni, It sounds like you need to get a leg lifter. http://ilcaustralia.org.au/products/2779 or https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Rigid-Lifter-Foot-Grip/dp/B007G4UBK2 I'd be putting a "seat" board over the end of the tub and then leaning back against the wall (assuming you don't have a shower screen in the way.) and then use the leg lifter to lift and swing the bad leg into the bath.  You should then be able to bring in the good leg too. 

It would probably also help to get an OT to come in and work with you on this.

-Heather

Benni   

Hubs has got it all figured out. He took out one arm of the bath chair. I sit on the side of the tub and can slide onto the chair, like a transfer bench, and swing both legs in. Perfect!!