•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

ishack1956

Should I buy a treadmill?

9 posts in this topic

I'm able to walk some and climb up stairs, but coming back down scares me, but only been going to physical therapy once a week anymore. Right now he puts me on a treadmill for 10-12 minutes, I don't know if once a week is enough. Can't really walk outside given the poor conditions of sidewalks (mostly nonexistent) here and the tropical climate. Tried going to a mall, but dependent on my wife to take me, but even though I just had a stroke her health and energy is often worse than mine. (Back issues, diabetes, high blood pressure, needing shoulder surgery) So relying on her to take either to a mall or gym hasn't worked out.

hi ishack :

buying treadmill  & doing every day walking on treadmill has been best exercise regime I created for myself post stroke. I will credit lot of my positive recovery in mental & physical aspects to our treadmill. I am already on our number #2 treadmill, since first one (cheap one) died before me extending my life. so treadmill is best investment one should do in their post stroke journey.

Asha

If you find it helps with the practice I say do it. My ex-husband installed another handrail along the wall so I could hold on with both hands but I also learned to walk down side stepping to get the balance correct. I still can't do down stairs without holding something. 

If you can "walk" on a treadmill, I say, "Go for it!" Becky

Hi Iskandar,

I find the treadmill to be helpful. For example, when I first started using mine I could barely handle the 1.5 mph speed. I'm now up to 2.6 mph. So I think it's useful to help quicken your gait and smoothen it out, but also to give you a good overall workout.

Yes I would recommend it for convenience sake and safety.  A plus for us wife started using the treadmill also and her health and mental attitude has gotten better. 

Hi Ishack, it's nice to meet you.

I agree with the others that a treadmill may be a good rehab tool for you.  My only concern is that your PT has you use one only once a week for 10 to 12 minutes at this time.  You may want to meet with your PT to develop an action plan...how many minutes you could start with, daily or every-other day, when you can increase the amount of time you use the treadmill, etc.

Best wishes, :smile:

It was delivered on Friday and I've used it everyday over the weekend (including Friday). I think today I'll take off since tomorrow is physical therapy and he works me very hard. I've also started using a set of resistance bands for upper body. I thought about going to a gym, but I'm sure using free weights are a BAD idea right now and machines allow one side of the body to carry most of the weight. The bands were recommended by my PT and they were pretty cheap, at least when I look at what the treadmill cost. It was a bit of impulse buy while at the sporting goods shop, but they seem to work well. Both arms are equally as sore, and I'll do anything to get my right arm working. In another thread I asked about going backwards, and that was why I wanted something to push my right arm more than weekly PT sessions. 

Its the easiest motivator for me.  I think I started out with 20 minutes at 1.4 mph.   Jot it down.  Nice to see your progress.  

Love the bands.  Other than they wear out and fly apart.  Still do them once a week.  But yes a very in expensive method to work out.  

Caution though make sure you use the emergency shut down.   I've been saved several times. Its easy to neglect but with spasticity thing can go awry suddenly.