•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

CaptainJohn

7 posts in this topic

My name is John and I had a stroke 18 months ago which affected my right hand and weakened my right leg. After being sent by my Dr to a rehab that was of little use, I found the "right" place and after some animated discussion with my insure. r I have been making some progress even though I lost almost a year with the "wrong" place. I now get both PT and OT. What is the feeling about counseling for myself and my caregiver/wife/best friend? Does it help? Does anti-anxiety med help? Any thoughts/advice/suggestions would be appreciated. Live in sunny Florida and am 74 YOA. 

Welcome, John! You've come to the right place for info, help, ask questions, or just to vent! I can't really answer your questions but someone should come along soon to help you.

Hi and welcome to StrokeNet, John.  It's very unfortunate that the first year of PT was not helpful, but glad you're making progress now.

You wonder if counselling for you and your wife (caregiver) would be helpful.   Do you and your wife communicate well about problems you may encounter?  Has your relationship changed significantly after your stroke?  If it has, counselling may be very beneficial.  

Anxiety (and depression) are common after a stroke, and can linger for quite a long time.  I'd suggest talking with your doctor about your emotions and the possible need for medication.

Hope this helps, John.   You'll find that the members here are very compassionate and understanding. 

Looking forward to reading your posts, :smile:

CaptainJohn, WELCOME ABOARD! (Sorry,but I COULDN'T RESIST) If you and  your  wife are having difficulties because of the stroke, such as insomnia, loss of appetite, or inability to communicate with each other, then sure, counselling may be beneficial to you. But, if your only issue is that you had a stroke, and you're both coping fine, and there hasn't been any significant impact on other parts of your lives, then no, you don't both need counseling. If one of you feels that you both need counselling, then the best thing to do might be to hook up with a counselor, and ask him/her what s/he thinks. Anxiety mds can be extremely helpful.I've been taking one for 10 yrs., and, trust me, I don't leave home without it. Talk to your doctor, he/she can help you find one that works for you. Good Luck, Becky

17 hours ago, CaptainJohn said:

My name is John and I had a stroke 18 months ago which affected my right hand and weakened my right leg. After being sent by my Dr to a rehab that was of little use, I found the "right" place and after some animated discussion with my insure. r I have been making some progress even though I lost almost a year with the "wrong" place. I now get both PT and OT. What is the feeling about counseling for myself and my caregiver/wife/best friend? Does it help? Does anti-anxiety med help? Any thoughts/advice/suggestions would be appreciated. Live in sunny Florida and am 74 YOA. 

First of Welcome to this website. .

I think that counseling wouldn't be a bad idea. The reason I say that ,is not to imply there are problems, is to gain a better understanding on how stroke can and sometimes does affect everyone when dealing with stroke.   We have a web site that helps answer some of those questions http://www.strokenet.info/   We also have a free virtual library that also has great information http://www.strokenet.info/applications/CatalogManager/inc_catalogmanager.asp

Anxiety medicines can help as well as  some people have chosen to go natural ways to combat stress. I would talk to your doctor for he/she would know your health and current treatment 

if she would like to talk to other caregivers we have an evening chat group on Tuesday evenings at 8pm ( est) or she can visit out message boards and ask a question.  And if she doesn't want to speak publically, She can email our Caregiver support  HostSally ( click here) and she can email her directly. 

Oh Captain My Captain I couldn't resist that one I definitely have a sense of humor I've decided that with the impairments that I have as a result of my stroke I may as well laugh at some of the silly things that I do because if I was going to cry I cry from sunup to sundown and it wouldn't change a thing so happy you found this group visit often share your victories no matter how small Others May think they are we love to celebrate victories with her fellow survivors and those small victories do build into larger ones

I noticed you were looking for medical advice we don't give medical advice here.  M my only medical advice is talk to your doctor as far as counseling is concerned I think that's more of an individual decision what works for some may not work for others.  

I can honestly say that the counselor I'm seeing has definitely help me a lot with the depression.

Best wishes on your journey, Be well my friend stay strong.

God bless you.

Jay allen

18 hours ago, Jayallen said:

Oh Captain My Captain 

Jay allen

**standing ovation**Image result for Standing Ovation Emoticon