•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

Sephardicina

Husbaand had Stroke 22 months ago

Hi again Ina (it always feels so funny calling someone other than my Mum Ina, I don't think I've "met" another one before, other than my great Aunt who usually used "Nell")

I know you know this but that small stuff is actually so hard to let go of when you first start.  We've been so used to doing it and not noticing. but it is now those few straws that will push you over the edge. So that conscience decision to ignore them may be needed for a while.

I'm sure John's walking will have improved by October.  But do tell his therapists about your plans so that they can tailor his program so he's as ready as possible for his trip.

-Heather

Heather:

Thank you for being there. I am beginning to feel that I know you and that you truly understand how I feel. Also, I didn't know your mom's name is Ina-I am honored to be considered by you as important.

The small stuff again usually never bothered me and I am trying very hard to "ignore it" if I can. Not always easy but I am trying and just saying it is what it is and move on.

I will speak with John's therapist about tailoring his program to our trip. Thank you for the suggestion. Also, tonight we went out to dinner with my brother and sister-in-law and when we got home John decided to walk from our neighbor's front door to ours and he did well but walked so fast he was out of breath when he got in the house. He said he needed to prove to me that he could do it. I am sure it was that he needed to prove it to himself. His blood pressure medication needs to be changed and I will speak to the cardiologist on Tuesday and to the therapist on Thursday about his progress. Again thank you for being there.

Ina

That sounds really good. He probably was proving it to himself as well as you. Just remind him sometimes he has to make haste slowly.  Boy do I hate it when the therapists say that but they are right. The trouble with pushing limits is that when it all goes pear shaped you can be really screwed. and walking quickly can be a real risk factor.  He's better off aiming for distance at a controlled pace he can maintain.  If he's going on this holiday he doesn't have time for a fall now.

Heather-I just read your e-mail to John and he agreed that you are absolutely right. Of course, in 48 years of marriage I have heard that numerous times and he still does what he wants. I can only hope that he has gotten smart enough this time to listen. John holds a masters degree in psychology from Temple University in Philadelphia and is definitely no dummy except when he wants to deny what a situation is. I will keep working on him to slow down.

Have a good Sunday and hope you are doing well.

Ina