•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

The closest place to see the total eclipse was Oregon, a two day drive away. Coincidentally, an old employer had retired to Newport, Oregon a perfect and beautiful place to see the eclipse.  So I called my old boss and fishing buddy to see if there was room at the in for the event. Apparently he was expecting a full house, but said to come on up and we would figure out the accommodations.

The furthest I had driven before was about six hours, so I was a little apprehensive. All the news reports warned of heavy traffic along the path of totality, so I packed up the car three days early, loaded up the dog, and started driving North.  My brother lives conveniently halfway to Oregon, so we had a place to crash the first night of our adventure. Fortunately, the drive was uneventful. My nervousness faded as the miles flew by and I actually started to enjoy the drive. Frequent stops to let the doggie out broke up the long drive nicely and at around five pm we pulled up to my brother's house.

After a nice visit and good night's sleep, we set off on day two of the eclipse adventure. Now the scenery through Northern California and Oregon really made the drive enjoyable and my boss suggested the most scenic route into Newport along several rivers and finally the coast.

After arriving at my buddy's house, I can see why he's been hounding me to visit. His view out the front window is the bay bridge on the 101 in Newport. What a setting to see the total eclipse. Spent a nice weekend catching up, viewed the eclipse from an uncrowded fishing pier. Went fishing and crabbing like old times, the leisurely drive home Wednesday.

On the way back drove straight through, with two short naps, 22 hours. Solo road trips off my post stroke bucket list.

wow Ray :

amazing, glad you had great time

Asha

In Florida we only had about 80% coverage. It got dim and I broke my tablet by holding it up and taking pictures. But in 2024 my family and I are going to Vermont to see that one :) 

Sounds like great travelling!  You accomplished something on your bucket list, Ray, but my bet would be it won't prevent you from doing it again.  :bravo: