•  

Correct forum?

Before you post, please ask yourself this question, "Is this the correct forum"?  Please read the forum description before posting. 

scottm

2 things that continue to frustrate me

Not much I can do for them, I had hoped they would fade with time but they continue to hold on like an Anaconda giving me a hug.

1) That word - You know, the one you knew and could say right up to the moment you need to actually use it. It just goes away like smoke in a breeze, leaving just enough behind so you know you know it but it is unspeakable. I have to close my eyes and wait several moments for it to come back, if it does...then I open my eyes and everyone is staring at me with that look of expectation, but alas instead they have to learn to live with disappointment (gratuitous Princess Bride reference). Of course sometimes I can come up with a couple sentences to describe the word I'm looking for.

2) The joy of sounds - I use the plural intentionally. A single soundtrack is something I can deal with. Multiple sounds like 2 people talking or dialog overlaid with music is not good. They just merge in my brain into a single channel like the mixer board from hell. Ever try to watch TV when you can's separate the sound tracks? I'm fortunate in having an entertainment center that allows me to subdue the secondary soundtrack and effects channel.

I'm sure others know these wonders of the signal processing centers, There are worse things but these just seem to happen so much that I find myself in a perpetual state of wariness about when they will strike again. Earplugs help with #2 but I have to remember to take them, but we all know how that one ends.

I completely can relate to this. 

My parents and I went to a Pancake Breakfast for a local firehouse and there was so much noise I could hardly listen yet along speak. That is another reason I wear headphones when I go grocery shopping so I only hear one sound. If there is more I can't think.

The word.. yes that word.. the beginning of a sentence or thought... is so painful when a simple word such as 'Hello' hides behind my closed eyes :crying:

Those 2 issues really frustrate me as well.  

The first one only occurs once in a while now; and instead of trying to find "that word", I find it easier/less stressful to try to think of a synonym.  For my first few years, it was soooo bad!  As well, if I tried to make a sentence (which I rarely did), the words in a 3 or 4 word sentence would come out in the wrong order.  Liked to keep my mouth shut!  :sick:

I've noticed that new stroke survivors are still having difficulty in communicating because of aphasia.  A few months ago I tried to find info on any improvements in treatment, and found a number of research projects being carried out now.  I remembered it because of your post, and just added it to the Research News.

The second problem you mentioned....still a headache for me!  And can't read, write, or pay attention to someone speaking when music (my favorite pastime) is playing.  I really crank that music up (using earbuds) when housecleaning, grocery shopping, walking the trails, etc.

58 minutes ago, Linnie said:

.  I really crank that music up (using earbuds) when housecleaning, grocery shopping, walking the trails, etc.

Heck yeah !!!!!!

i have tinnitus so my hesring in a crowd is horrible. i just have to get close to people to hear them clearly.love my little bluetooth speaker for music....

Deigh   

large.59beffef33849_DeighGB20.gif.4ba1b431728f7fd85ee0369070883466.gifAlan, at last have managed to add a pix of me and GB20......here it is 

I  have a dislike of loud music and am leading a campaign at my local club to have visiting musicians volume controlled by bar staff.

Deigh

On 9/2/2017 at 9:19 AM, scottm said:

2) The joy of sounds - I use the plural intentionally. A single soundtrack is something I can deal with. Multiple sounds like 2 people talking or dialog overlaid with music is not good. They just merge in my brain into a single channel like the mixer board from hell. Ever try to watch TV when you can's separate the sound tracks? I'm fortunate in having an entertainment center that allows me to subdue the secondary soundtrack and effects channel.

I suffer from room noise from a crowded room or Scottish bag pipe music which hits me like a sensory overload freight train.  Music or earplugs work to prevent sensory overload.  Recently, I found that just one earplug significantly reduces sensory overload.  The problem with putting on two earplugs is that it causes uncomfortable social situations as it gives the appearance of shutting people out.  I also considering the newest BOSE in-ear noise reduction earphones.  There are two models.  Noise reduction and a more expensive conversation enhanced headphones.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/conversation_enhancing_headphones/hearphones.html

Music has the opposite effect. It is closest thing is natural drug.  It is incredible.  I definitely have the "ear worm" But, it has a cognitive effect.  I noticed that I have gaps in memory from watching certain shows with dialog overlaid with music.  Strange.

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:19 PM, alansd said:

i have tinnitus so my hesring in a crowd is horrible. i just have to get close to people to hear them clearly.love my little bluetooth speaker for music....

holy cow. I have it in my right ear and sometimes the high pitch tone that appears from no wear... makes my knees buckle

I can only understand how terrible it is for you in both ears.. yikes

IVE HAD IT FO YEARS, PLAYED MUSIC TOO LOUD I GUESS. AT FIRST IT MADDE ME NUTS, COULDNT SEEP, BUT GRADUALLY I GOT USED TO IT. I HAVE USED WHITE NOISE TO MASK IT AT TIMES