Jump to content
  •  

2Fight

Adderall Controlling Visual Vertigo

Recommended Posts

I have been suffering from visual vertigo as a result of aneurysm rupture/SAH by the brainstem.  I was diagnosed as Central Vestibulopathy and brainstem vertigo.  As treatment, I was prescribed prism glasses (for double vision) and Gapapentin (nystagmus, abnormal vestibular-ocular response).  Both these treatments does manage the vertigo but in many environments (shopping malls, large atriums) and places with random unorganized sound, I still get either overwhelmed and dizzy from vertigo.  Recently, I was able to see Professor of Neurology at research hospitals.  His approach was very different from my other physicians.  He put me on a small trial of Adderall which he mentioned has been useful with central nervous system disorders like mine.  The most amazing thing is that it works extremely well at 20mg.  It is effective 4/4 times in the most challenging environment.  I even wore my non-prism glasses (worst case) and vertigo is completed eliminated. I still see the visual disturbance from the double vision (ghost and double vision, warpness of flat objects) but I do not get dizzy.

I am susceptible for sensory overload from unorganized sound like crowd noise.  With Adderall, it eliminates this problem where I can concentrate without being overwhelmed.

 

I do not consider Adderall as a permanent solution.  There is potential for substance abuse and it disrupt normal sleeping patterns.  However, it does provide a solution if I know that I am going to be in difficult environment.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you found something that works!   BECKY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was inspired by Kelli's story as we have similar issues with dizziness.  This treatment solution was found at Year 3.  We just have to be persistent and not giving up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello

Yes I have the same thing and wanted to talk with you on the Adderall, I have called my Dr to ask his opinion

please contact me 

Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, edkel1 said:

Hello

Yes I have the same thing and wanted to talk with you on the Adderall, I have called my Dr to ask his opinion

please contact me 

Ed

Hi Ed,

In my case, it is used to treat a specific disorder in the Central Nervous System that affects my vestibular dysfunction.  I am not sure if it the same in your case but you can ask your physicians.  I have been plagued with chronic vertigo.  I have a left eye skew deviation so I have double vision. It is somewhat managed by prism glasses but I still get vertigo leaving me dizzy with brain fog.  The Adderall completely wipes out vertigo. I still see the double vision but not the affects of dizziness.  Also, in crowded rooms where there is a lot of conversational noise or random unorganized sound, I will be overwhelmed with sensory overload.  Adderall also eliminates sensory overload where I can tolerate it.  However, please be aware of potential substance abuse.  (There are several news articles on Adderall addiction).  Also, it affects my sleep patterns and makes me irritable.  So, I only use it when necessary and very limited). If you have any other questions, please let me know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2fight

YHM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 12:42 PM, 2Fight said:

I have been suffering from visual vertigo as a result of aneurysm rupture/SAH by the brainstem.  I was diagnosed as Central Vestibulopathy and brainstem vertigo.  As treatment, I was prescribed prism glasses (for double vision) and Gapapentin (nystagmus, abnormal vestibular-ocular response).  Both these treatments does manage the vertigo but in many environments (shopping malls, large atriums) and places with random unorganized sound, I still get either overwhelmed and dizzy from vertigo. 

I am susceptible for sensory overload from unorganized sound like crowd noise. 

Holy cow my friend. yes yes and yes. Shopping .. I do most shopping on line.. crowds cause me to have a panic attack. I was told to start of small.. Like go to the mall or shopping during the day and stay for 5 mins. wait for a few days and go back again and stay a little bit longer and repeat until you find a happy medium for you. I wear sun glasses ( they have prisms) and ear buds listening to music..  I block out every sound but rock out in my world. I have groceries  ordered on line. I do go to stores but I try to have someone with me or listening to music. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ksmith said:

Holy cow my friend. yes yes and yes. Shopping .. I do most shopping on line.. crowds cause me to have a panic attack. I was told to start of small.. Like go to the mall or shopping during the day and stay for 5 mins. wait for a few days and go back again and stay a little bit longer and repeat until you find a happy medium for you. I wear sun glasses ( they have prisms) and ear buds listening to music..  I block out every sound but rock out in my world. I have groceries  ordered on line. I do go to stores but I try to have someone with me or listening to music. 

Kelli,  we really share similar issues.  I am fortunate to find someone else who shares similar struggles with our unique disability involving balance, irregular ocular movements, and dizziness.  I am more prone to vertigo than sensory overload but it happens.  AND YES.  Music is the antidote to unorganized sounds like room noise and chatter which messes me up.   This medication seems to be the solution in dealing with these environments.  I just do not consider it a permanent solution due to side effects (insomnia) and potential for abuse.  But, if i know that I am going to be stuck in a complex environment which makes me sick, then I have a solution.  With this medication, it does not prevent the visual disturbance:  double and ghost images, static objects jumping, color sensation, and weird night time vision with LED lights). But, it prevents vertigo and sensory overload.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was put on Concerta for ADHD which I had pre stroke, and from what I've learned is many survivors have issues with keeping thoughts together and overload and some do go on meds for ADD to help wrangle in your brain. You and I have pretty much have followed similar footsteps 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any idea why both of you know what triggers your vertigo?  Mine (and my mom's) just springs up severe; and lasts for several weeks and then goes away for 2 or 3 months.  Both our PCPs give us a prescription once each year for a massive amount of Betahistine 16 mg, otherwise couldn't walk when it's active.  Strange, huh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Linnie said:

Any idea why both of you know what triggers your vertigo?  Mine (and my mom's) just springs up severe; and lasts for several weeks and then goes away for 2 or 3 months.  Both our PCPs give us a prescription once each year for a massive amount of Betahistine 16 mg, otherwise couldn't walk when it's active.  Strange, huh?

Linnie, after a discussing with my physicians, finding the right medical citations (research), and trial/error testing, I am pretty sure that I know the exact cause of the vertigo episodes.  Basically, it is central nervous system disorder where there is mismatch between  the vestibular and ocular systems.  So, certain environments like supermarket aisles (narrow hallways), open atriums of shopping mall, tunnels, complex patterns will trigger visual vertigo.  This paper explains it in practical terms.

 

https://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/symptoms/visual.htm

 

This paper discusses it in more detail.

 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15083281

 

(It is the abstract but I actually got the full citation from medical library)

 

It is the reason why Strokeboard.net is such a great resource.   It looks like Kelli and I share the same issues.  It was driving me nuts that I am the only person who has these issues. Through this board, I found that Kelli is suffering from similar issues. So, it is great finding a person who really gets me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Charles, that explains the visual vertigo....but that's not what my mom (also a hemorrhagic stroke survivor) and I have.  Doctors do relate the vertigo to our strokes, but there is nothing that is similar to yours and Kelli's  Pink Question Mark Smiley Face, Emoticon  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been on a very controlled regimen of adderall for the past 7 months.  By controlled, I have only taken 18 times in 7 months @ 20mg.  This medication completely controls the vertigo even if I wear my non-prism glasses.  The surprising thing is that the benefits lasts approx 7 days after it is out of my system.  Overall, it has put a dent on my vertigo where it is no longer a major complaint and I have a lot more confidence now.  I still have jumpy eyes so static objects appear to move and other visual disturbance (double vision, flat objects that appear warped).  And,also  it seems to control the over stimulation wipe outs that I would get in high stimulation environments (restaurants noise) but my overall quality of life is definitely better.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2017 at 2:05 PM, 2Fight said:

.  It was driving me nuts that I am the only person who has these issues. 

 

I had similar issues too.  My nystagmus has disappeared, (I had it for years) and my use of a prism in my glasses stopped when I had surgery to permanently close my RT eye up.  I still at times get ghost images in my LT when I'm tired.

 

I still experience sensory overload when I go into 'Big Box' stores, or unfamiliar places.  The dizziness, motion sickness, etc., are always there, to what degree depends on my fatigue level.

 

You are so right, Adderall has a high risk of abuse; please be careful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, 2Fight said:

I have been on a very controlled regimen of adderall for the past 7 months.  By controlled, I have only taken 18 times in 7 months @ 20mg.  This medication completely controls the vertigo even if I wear my non-prism glasses.  The surprising thing is that the benefits lasts approx 7 days after it is out of my system.  Overall, it has put a dent on my vertigo where it is no longer a major complaint and I have a lot more confidence now.  I still have jumpy eyes so static objects appear to move and other visual disturbance (double vision, flat objects that appear warped).  And,also  it seems to control the over stimulation wipe outs that I would get in high stimulation environments (restaurants noise) but my overall quality of life is definitely better.  

I have been on Concerta, or Ritalin for years and I haven't had the success as you .  I'm so happy that you finally found something that works for you'!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Charles

I went to my Dr today and got my prescription for them but the pharmacy was out of them till next Tuesday :thumbs-down: 

I still have a few questions on them for you

Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is important to try to isolate all your triggers that causes the vertigo attacks.  In my case, it is the dreaded supermarket aisle, Big Box Shopping Malls and other visual environments dealing with depth, field view and motion.   It makes me dizzy and nauseous. I kept strict journal notes.  In the morning, I would go the dreaded supermarket aisle.  Walk five times. 5/5 times vertigo attack.  I would then take the medication and wait in the car for 45 minutes.  Then, walk the supermarket aisle 0/5 vertigo attacks.  Also, I think that you mentioned that you have both vertigo and balance issues.  Those are separate issues. 

 

Being dizzy all the time sucked and I can relate your issues.  But, please consider this medication cautiously as it can lead to substance abuse.  It is considered a controlled substance and I am very cautious.  It also raises BP so it is another caution.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 2Fight said:

.  But, please consider this medication cautiously as it can lead to substance abuse.  It is considered a controlled substance and I am very cautious

I agree with everything.

I know I can't stop cold turkey. When I missed a few days , when I was sick, I became paranoid , couldn't sleep , very flustered . My neurologist closely controls this.

Like Adderall  , I take Concerta ER ((methylphenidate (oral) (METH il FEN i date)
Brand Names: Aptensio XR, Concerta, Cotempla XR-ODT, Metadate CD, Metadate ER, Methylin, QuilliChew ER, Quillivant XR, Ritalin )) for my ADHD and I must say that does keep me focused and I do notice a difference with my eyes.. How? I'm not sure because I'm more centered and it's a controlled substance. If hid doctor prescribed it.. I'm assuming he had just cause,, and for this ,do you know how sometimes you can just refill over the phone or online : I go to walgreens and I can:: I need to bring a script everytime and the pharmacy and insurance regulate how often I fill it due to that)) Just wanted to relay how obtaining this works. :smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I read the more I learn, the one thing I have realized is i'm not that bad off other than feeling like i'm drunk / light headed

Addreall is a controlled substance and they only had 10 and my perception is for 30 and they wont do anything different from what the Dr prescribed, I have taken it and waiting to see if it helps, only thing Dr was worried about was raising my BP but I should be ok

Wish me luck 

Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×